Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Week 310: Two Inch Dot Challenge

Week 310: Two Inch Dot Challenge

Results may be posted until April 1st, 2019.

Designed by: Gabe White
    Range: shooter's choice of 3, 5, 7, 10, or 15 yards
    Target: 2" dot, download printable target here: http://pistol-training.com/wp-conten...in-circles.pdf
    Start Position: holstered or benched
    Rounds Fired: 20

This is going to be an untimed drill focusing on acquiring master grip and the patience to shoot on-demand hits on a challenging target.

Pick a distance that will make the shot challenging for you, rather than really easy or nearly impossible.

You can start with the loaded gun either holstered, holstered and concealed, or benched, with hands at sides.

Procedure is simply to draw, or retrieve the handgun from the bench, then shoot one shot to the 2" dot. Repeat until you have fired twenty rounds. You can certainly use multiple dots to keep scoring clear.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used (pistol, holster, optional concealment garment if one was used)
    Start position
    Distance
    Total hits out of the possible twenty
    Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post

Results may be posted until April 1st, 2019.

Designed by: Gabe White
    Range: shooter's choice of 3, 5, 7, 10, or 15 yards
    Target: 2" dot, download printable target here: http://pistol-training.com/wp-conten...in-circles.pdf
    Start Position: holstered or benched
    Rounds Fired: 20

This is going to be an untimed drill focusing on acquiring master grip and the patience to shoot on-demand hits on a challenging target.

Pick a distance that will make the shot challenging for you, rather than really easy or nearly impossible.

You can start with the loaded gun either holstered, holstered and concealed, or benched, with hands at sides.

Procedure is simply to draw, or retrieve the handgun from the bench, then shoot one shot to the 2" dot. Repeat until you have fired twenty rounds. You can certainly use multiple dots to keep scoring clear.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used (pistol, holster, optional concealment garment if one was used)
    Start position
    Distance
    Total hits out of the possible twenty
    Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    have 2k rounds on the way and a new gun club membership. Going to start with this drill.

I try to shoot two inch dots every practice session, and think it is one of the best tests and drills for assessing/developing trigger control.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I try to shoot two inch dots every practice session, and think it is one of the best tests and drills for assessing/developing trigger control.
    What range?

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    What range?
    5-20 yards.

Just zeroing a new RMS on a VP9SK, so I did 13 rounds of 147 HST at 15 yards for the DOW.

Name:  62124140-3101-4823-9014-20C661B933B4.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  29.4 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I was looking for something to do at the range this weekend. This might be what I do for a couple hours.

Equipment used:Glock 19.5
    Start position:Low Ready
    Distance: 5 yd
    Total hits out of the possible twenty: 18
    Anything you noticed: So this was part of my ‘Trigger Control Sunday at my LGS. I tried to put together everything swimming around in my head lately.

Gun came up, Quick sight picture, Press rapidly but not jerkily straight through: Boom.

Hole in center of dot.

Hmmm.

Up, sight glance, press, boom.

Another center of dot.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

I did this 18 more times. 18/20 is pretty good for me.

Cool how this trigger control stuff can work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess it's time to publicly embarrass myself again...

I had, up until today's range session, fired exactly 119 rounds of ammunition through my pistol during the year of 2019. Conditions at the range were not quite optimal, with a truly brutal insanely cold wind blowing. So I guess you could say I shot this drill pretty cold...

I chose 7 yards as my distance. At this distance aiming at a 2" circle is quite easy. Pulling the trigger on the other hand... well, see below. Pistol was my Beretta PX4 full size, stock except for Talon Grip tape and a Truglo TFX front sight. The pistol was holstered in a JMCK IWB holster and I wore a pea coat over it. (Not really the best cover garment for shooting, but today I had no issues with it. Besides, it's warm.) Starting position was normal standing. Due to the conditions I kept my glove liners on - these did not help with maintaining a solid grip on the pistol at all, but at least I still have all my fingers, so I claim I made the right choice there. The drill was shot on the top center dot seen in this picture:

Name:  IMG_20190305_174123070.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  21.6 KB

As you can see, it's a bit tricky to score. I'd call it... 15 hits out of 20? (The really, really badly pulled shot was my second shot fired.)

As for that second group on the lower dot, well, just to see what would happen I shot 20 rounds at it starting from a muzzle averted high ready, with the pistol cocked. I wasn't quite expecting that result... My glove liners are worn to the point my index fingers and thumbs are no longer covered, and by this time my exposed fingers hurt. The conditions might have something to do with the results. But then again, I believe all, or very nearly all, of my meagre dry fire this year has been with the double action trigger; so that might have something to do with it, too. Be that as it may, I felt shooting a group that size was significantly easier in SA, but as you can see the rounds just sort of wandered off target. With the first DA group, it might have been harder work but at least the majority of the bullets went where I aimed them.

All in all I thought this was a great drill. One possible negative aspect of it though is that it looks and sounds a whole lot easier than it actually is...

I'll try to work on this some more on a later date.

Pistol: Wilson Combat 4inch 1911 9mm
    Position: gun on the indoor table with the safety on
    Distance: 5 yards
    Total hits for three runs were 18/20

I noticed that I forgot to put the bay light on so I was shooting fiber optic front in very low light. Noticed this on my third and last run after already throwing two out of my first five, turned on the light and nailed the rest. This was a really good drill for me to get used to the 1911, which is still new to me. Picking it up, I had to make sure I got a good grip for the grip safety and manipulated the safety while pressing out. I also noticed that I yank the trigger in general, for basically any shot I do. So this made me slow down and actually row through the trigger the way I wanted to.

This drill is one I will continue to include, as it really helped me focus on trigger and sights. Shot my best Test score/time combo right after my last run for a 99 in 6.9 seconds from low ready.

Equipment used (pistol, holster, optional concealment garment if one was used)- Beretta 92A1, JM OWB, no concealment
    Start position - holstered
    Distance - 7yd
    Total hits out of the possible twenty - 18/20
    Anything you noticed:

My hold was off for the first two shots. Covering the entire dot. I found that I need to perch the number on tops of blades to get center hits (assuming I press the trigger cleanly)

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

User Tag List