Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shtgun Strategery - Running the Pump

Great food for thought, all.

Re: the Hunt or Hunker thing. The way my floor plan / family is situated, even a full-on door kicking scenario is going to, at a minimum, have me posted up in my wrong-handed bedroom door to deny access down the bedroom hallway. On a side note, folks (not in this thread) who say you should never go hunting simply are not being realistic. I would wager there are a lot more ambiguous bumps that need checking, gun in hand, than, "Oh my, I have a home invader!" scenarios that would make simply hunkering down the obvious call. That said, there are a ton of variables that come into play when making that call.

Ya'll have me thinking that, for me, simply running the action, maybe combined with a hearty, "Get Outta My House!!" might be a good way to go.

I gotta be honest with you guys. I didn't realize 870s and Mossberg 500s/590s had only trigger block safeties and inertia firing pins. Now that I've looked this up - I've noted Wolff has a heavier firing pin spring - much like one might equip in a Series 70 1911 - for at least 870s. I think I'll order some for my 870s.

I honestly never liked "cruiser ready" from the perspective of needing to pull the trigger to get the slide release...released. I've always opted for a "modified" cruiser ready (if I keep the shotgun like that). Where the tube is loaded and the slide release has simple been punched and the slide is partly back. I've found on the vast majority of shotguns the slide will drop back maybe 1/5th of its travel and then sit nice and stable without issue. The exception to this are Winchester Model 12s/25s/1300s because that action is so slick, they have a tendency to "fall open" due to gravity alone.

___

Hmm, now I have to find out of the 1301T has a firing pin safety or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    Ya'll have me thinking that, for me, simply running the action, maybe combined with a hearty, "Say hello to my little friend!!" might be a good way to go.
    Last edited by awp_101; 03-01-2019 at 11:11 AM.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I honestly never liked "cruiser ready" from the perspective of needing to pull the trigger to get the slide release...released.
    What?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    What?
    You unload the gun and pull the trigger, that unlocks the slide, to make it easy to pump. Sorry not "slide release - released" just the way you get the slide unlocked without having to push the slide release.

More coffee is needed today.

I’m really not a fan of giving verbal commands without having a gun on someone, much less eyes on. YMMV, but the whole “rack the slide to scare somebody” is already a load of bullshit, screaming from another room when you really don’t have any idea what’s happening isn’t any better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    You unload the gun and pull the trigger, that unlocks the slide, to make it easy to pump. Sorry not "slide release - released" just the way you get the slide unlocked without having to push the slide release.

More coffee is needed today.
    There's no need to pull the trigger during admin loading or unloading, nor when you go to put a car carry shotgun into ready position. You just push the slide release and pump. It's extremely intuitive on an 870. I've not used a Mossberg in over a decade, but I don't recall any need to pull the trigger with it either.

I think the traditional definition of cruiser ready is with the hammer down so the action can just be cycled.

I prefer the hammer cocked and action locked, hitting the action release to cycle a round. Some call this cruiser safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    I think the traditional definition of cruiser ready is with the hammer down so the action can just be cycled.
    "Car carry" for us is locked on an empty chamber. There's no trigger pull involved. I'm sure different people teach different things, but that's the only way I've been taught to do it.

User Tag List