Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low Light Instructor class recommendations

Site Supporter
    https://www.streamlight.com/resource...ement-training

I've never taken this class, by my exposure to Team One and Streamlight's former in-house training has been positive.

Site Supporter
    I just completed Centrifuge Training's Low Light Instructor Class in Alliance, Ohio, 01APR-04APR. Chase was the instructor, teaching under the Centrifuge banner. The first two days were spent on the range, we did pistol work on TD1 and pistol/carbine on TD2. Hand held and weapon mounted light use were incorporated into both days, doing movement, barricade, and malfunction work. TD3 was spent in the shoot house doing two man, live fire runs first with handgun then with carbine utilizing both handheld and weapon mounted lights. TD4 was FoF two man runs versus dedicated role players, utilizing the skills learned over the previous three days. Students rotated through positions as coaches and safety officers during every drill.

If you want to learn fancy flashlight techniques, then this is not the class for you. This is a class about problem solving in low light, while manipulating a weapon and employing an illumination device and being able to teach others to do the same thing. Having some knowledge of basic two man movements when it comes to structure clearance was beneficial. The class did not require you to be up to date on the latest SWAT/CQB entry techniques, but you'll definitely get more out of the runs if you already have the movement portion down. I will say that if you have been through Centrifuge's VCQB program it will help you greatly, in that a lot of the principles and mechanics applied in VCQB also apply in the low light class. Chase knows his stuff and is a good dude to boot. Hope this was helpful.

EDIT: nevermind, this is not an instructor course.

My son is taking this course from The Range Complex this month and plans to send me an AAR to share. Their instructor staff has a lot of experience.

http://www.therangecomplex.com/home-...ht-pistol.html

Home Defense/Low Light Pistol
    This course is for experienced, proficient shooters only who have taken the Level I Pistol or equivalent course. It includes reinforcement of Tactical Pistol fundamentals (shooting from the draw and on the move, multiple targets, extreme target transitions, strong and support hand shooting), and transitions to realistic scenarios of clearing your home with an armed intruder in the shoot house under day light, low light and darkness (shoot/no shoot targets) and using handheld or mounted flashlights. * Course includes helmet and tactical vest and will be closed at 8 students.

Course objectives:
    Student will have understanding of fundamentals of marksmanship.
    Student will complete 700 Aggregate pistol course.
    Student will understand the draw from concealment and open carry and be able to deliver one well aimed shot, followed by multiple killing shots.
    Student will understand the different flashlight techniques both supported and unsupported and how to transition to and from both.
    Student will understand the draw and fire from concealment and open carry in low light environments and be able to deliver one well aimed shot followed by multiple killing shots.
    Student will understand how to transition to multiple targets in both light and low light environments to include extreme transitions.
    Student will understand the advantages and disadvantages to multiple search techniques while engaging single and multiple targets in both single and multiple rooms.
    Last edited by JHC; 04-08-2019 at 05:43 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    EDIT: nevermind, this is not an instructor course.

My son is taking this course from The Range Complex this month and plans to send me an AAR to share. Their instructor staff has a lot of experience.

http://www.therangecomplex.com/home-...ht-pistol.html

Home Defense/Low Light Pistol
    This course is for experienced, proficient shooters only who have taken the Level I Pistol or equivalent course. It includes reinforcement of Tactical Pistol fundamentals (shooting from the draw and on the move, multiple targets, extreme target transitions, strong and support hand shooting), and transitions to realistic scenarios of clearing your home with an armed intruder in the shoot house under day light, low light and darkness (shoot/no shoot targets) and using handheld or mounted flashlights. * Course includes helmet and tactical vest and will be closed at 8 students.

Course objectives:
    Student will have understanding of fundamentals of marksmanship.
    Student will complete 700 Aggregate pistol course.
    Student will understand the draw from concealment and open carry and be able to deliver one well aimed shot, followed by multiple killing shots.
    Student will understand the different flashlight techniques both supported and unsupported and how to transition to and from both.
    Student will understand the draw and fire from concealment and open carry in low light environments and be able to deliver one well aimed shot followed by multiple killing shots.
    Student will understand how to transition to multiple targets in both light and low light environments to include extreme transitions.
    Student will understand the advantages and disadvantages to multiple search techniques while engaging single and multiple targets in both single and multiple rooms.
    I’ve been super tempted to sign up for this, only thing holding me back is that it’s a three hour tip, one way. Centrifuge is doing their scotopic problem solver course in NC in the next month or two as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I can personally recommend ALERRTs low light course. GPSTC is now teaching ALERRT’s active shooter program and may have some contacts that can assist you.

https://alerrt.org/course_types/view/37

FIRST RESPONDERS OPERATING IN LOW-LIGHT CONDITIONS TRAIN-THE-TRAINER

Active Shooter Low Light Train-the-Trainer

Time: (24 hours/3 days)
    Class Size: 18
    Prerequisite: Sworn law enforcement officer (preferred: experience in tactical, firearms, and/or law enforcement training)
    Recommended Equipment: Good attitude, open mind, pen and paper, duty gear, flashlight used on duty, extra batteries, personal groin protection, clothing for "force on force" drills, water and or hydration system, note taking materials.

Description: This three-day train‑the‑trainer course is designed to provide the participant with training concepts, techniques, and equipment considerations to increase their effectiveness and confidence while operating in low‑ or no‑light conditions. The course incorporates the use of force‑on‑force drills to validate the tactics and techniques covered. Topics will center on approaching a target area, low light searching techniques, low light entry methods, armed confrontations and unarmed suspect handling. The course also covers instructional techniques and methodology for delivering the course, force‑on‑force scenario development, safety protocols and procedures, graded participant teach‑backs, graded participant‑led force‑on‑force scenarios, remediation, video debrief, course critiques, and evaluations. Participants are provided with all lesson plans, PowerPoint presentations, student manuals, and related courseware so they are immediately prepared to deliver a low-light training course at their home agency.

If you are interested in hosting this class, please see the requirements listed below then fill out a Hosting Request Form.

Hosting Requirements:

1) The primary host agency must be a state or local agency.

2) Each class is required to be filled with sworn state and local law enforcement officers from multiple agencies. In the event that federal or military personnel are inquiring about registering, and you have given priority to state/local officers, you are allowed up to 3 slots to approve for federal/military. These federal/military students must not take seats from state or local officers.

3) Most of these classes are held at the ALERRT facility. When we travel with this training, the host agency should provide a building with hallways and multiple rooms that can be made completely dark. It is imperative that the training location allows for the use of marking cartridges in force-on-force drills and is capable of being made completely dark. Any safety lights, “Exit” signs, windows or other sources of light need to be blocked out or turned off by the host before the scheduled training begins. This totally blacked-out environment allows the participants to truly realize the benefits of the tactics being taught when used in completely dark environments. Training in the winter months and modified start/end times for the class are options to help control the lighting issues.

Our experience has revealed that 6 mil contractors’ black plastic and Gorilla brand duct tape works best for darkening the training area. Please test the environment during daylight hours to confirm all light is blocked.

A classroom-type location with electricity, student seating for classroom modules, and restrooms should be within or very close to the training site.

4) The host agency will be responsible for registration. We will post the class to our website under ‘Upcoming Courses’, and list the POC’s contact information for registration. Under special circumstances, we can remove the class from the website at the agency’s request.

5) The host agency is responsible for the advertisement of the class. We will send you the course flyer for distribution.

6) ALERRT will issue certificates for all classes.

7) In the event a class can’t be filled ALERRT reserves the option to open registration nationwide or cancel the class.

For questions specific to this course type, please contact your ALERRT Regional Manager directly.

I can not say enough good things about Bill Toy and his crew at OTG Tactical. I’ve taken classes from several “big name” instructors and consider OTG Tactical to be on par with any of them.

https://www.otg-tactical.com/product...102119-102319/

Bump from the past, or Necropost as it's been called at LF.

Anyway, came across this thread while looking for some other posts. At the time, I was still working and had not yet hung out my shingle.

I teach a Low Light instructor class for L/E that covers much more - handheld, WML use - both with pistols and long guns; exterior to interior searches; vehicle approaches, open-air searches; and judgmental shooting. It has Conn POST approval.

https://cougarmountainsolutions.com/course-list.html

https://www.wrightshooting.com/low-light-instructor

Brandon Wright just started offering a low light user and instructor course. According to him it's heavily influenced by Strategos.

User Tag List