Thread: Shotgun 2 Point Sling Mounting Point Options / Preferences

Shotgun 2 Point Sling Mounting Point Options / Preferences

There are several ways to mount a two point sling onto shotguns. I am not familiar enough with the platform to know the pros and cons of each and would like to learn from our SMEs. On a carbine, I tend to run my two point slings with the front point close to the front site and the rear point on the buttstock on the "outside" (I am right handed so the outside of the buttstock is the right side). I tried this method with my Mossberg 590 with Magpul stock and it causes the gun to spin when it's slung. It doesn't seem to like the rear point being mounted on the "outside."

The options that I am aware of are:

Front Sling Mounting Point:

Magazine tube end cap thread in nipple-thing that lets you put the old style C-clip type (proper name?) sling point in it. This seems to be less sturdy than modern QD push button options. This option does seem to let you mount the sling as far forward as possible because this is the most forward point of the gun. It also lets you adjust whether you want to sling to be on the left side of the gun or on the "bottom" of the gun. To run it on the bottom of the gun, you'd need an equivalent sling mounting point on the bottom of the buttstock which my Magpul stock does not have, although could be drilled for.

Magazine tube adapter that is a little plate that goes between the end cap of the magazine tube and the barrel "lug" (proper name?) that keeps the magazine tube and barrel together. These come in both QD push button and fixed 1" webbing (loop the sling through) options. These are pretty close to the end of the gun but not as forward as the mag tube end cap. And you're limited to running these with the sling parallel to the gun, you can't run the sling under the gun as you could with the mag tube end cap. This seems more secure and sturdy than the mag tube end cap because less moving parts and things that might get unthreaded.

Mag tube/barrel clamps are an option for longer shotguns where you have a little "8" clamp that goes around both barrel and mag tube and puts the sling mount on the side. This is pretty similar to the magazine tube adapter option but won't work for short barrel shotguns because it has to be further ahead of the pump and there's no extra dead space on a SBS.

Rear Sling Mounting Point:

The magpul stock offers fixed sling and QD push button mounting points on both the left and right sides. I've tried the right QD sling mount point (outside for me as a right hander) and it caused the shotgun to roll inboard when slung. Could be my technique is bad. It seems like if you want to mount on the outside of the stock, you are limited to QD because using the fixed loop option might not allow the sling to flex and flow over the top of the gun properly.

There is not a bottom sling mounting point, although it might be possible to thread one in should someone want to run the sling under the gun (using the mag tube sling mount angled downward) rather than run the sling along the side.

Sling Hardware Types:

I'm not sure if I need or want QD push button functionality. It seems like an extra potential failure point. Possibly good for waterborne operations so you can escape from the slung gun if needed. I am a civilian that doesn't do waterborne operations so that wouldn't apply to me, but might apply to some. The QD does seem like it gives a bit of angled flex letting the sling move a bit more rather than be locked in place. Not sure if this is good or bad.

Misc Considerations:

I don't want the sling to run horizontal parallel along the left (inside for me as a rightie) part of the receiver and be too tight because it might interfere with me using the pump.

I'd like to be able to switch shoulders if necessary. Jeff Gonzalez is where I learned the carbine sling layout I use (with the rear point being on the outside of the buttstock) because if you're running the carbine with it slung around your chest or neck, you won't choke yourself if you switch shoulders if the sling is on the outside. I don't know if I would ever shoot the shotgun with it slung around my body for this to be a consideration. As a civilian, I probably won't, but I'd like to learn best practices.

In for knowledge...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

It's all in what you envision using the shotgun for and how. I'm 5'7" with a 46" chest, so slinging an 18" barreled pump is kind of a pain in the ass for me. The best solution I've found for two-point mounts is to use paracord in the sling swivel mount at the front and through the inboard (left side if you're a righty) strap area. Then I run my sling through those. This gives me a little extra flexibility for movement with my sling, but still plenty of stability. Sling wise - man it is hard to fault the Vickers Sling for any long gun role you want to use a 2-point sling in - https://www.blueforcegear.com/vickers-sling

The ability to quickly adjust it makes its versatility unmatched. It also makes it much easier to switch shoulders if you want/need.

You can, of course, just roll with the old school shoulder carry, which frankly works quite well in many scenarios. Here, (Old School) Gunsite demonstrates basic over the shoulder (as opposed to chest/neck) techniques.

Last edited by RevolverRob; 02-28-2019 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by powell556 View Post
    I don't know if I would ever shoot the shotgun with it slung around my body for this to be a consideration. As a civilian, I probably won't, but I'd like to learn best practices.
    In my opinion, a sling has no place on a home defense shotgun. First of all, you are not shooting slugs through a rifled barrel at long range like a hunter and don't need the stability with buckshot at indoor distances.

In the chaos of a home invasion that jolts you from a sound sleep, you may not have time to "sling up".

Slings tend to snag on things like the corner of the night stand, door knobs or anything else that gets between the sling and your shotgun.

Slings are the only part of your shotgun that can move around and they can get in the way in the unlikely event that you have to clear a jam or reload. This is why you NEVER see slings in combat shotgun competition.

Unlike a cop who may need both hands free to cuff a suspect, or a soldier who may have to carry the thing all day, you will only need it for a very short period of time and have no business touching a downed home invader. You can simply tuck the buttstock under your arm if you need a free hand to call the cops or preform some other task.

If you MUST have a sling, at least consider quick dethatch swivels so that you can take it off when you keep your shotgun by your bed. Then you can put it back on when you go hunting or whatever.

Oh, and before someone counters with the argument that a sling aids in weapon retention, that sword cuts both ways. It ties you to the weapon, makes it impossible to use as a club and it becomes an encumbrancer in a grappling situation. It also makes for a good handle for the bad guy to use.

Again, there are times to use a sling on a shotgun but home defense is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tactical Black Belt View Post

Again, there are times to use a sling on a shotgun but home defense is not one of them.
    This - same with carbines IMO when used for home defense -

All of my shotguns and carbines are set up to use slings but none of the ones that are placed "out" within the home as defense weapons do not have a sling on them for very obvious reasons -

Going back to shotguns, I have an "old school" Mossberg 500 with walnut furniture with the swivel on the bottom of buttstock and end of magazine cap (shoulder carry style) for woods walking, my 590 and my 1301T are both set up with Magpul 2 point sling hardware and QD's/QDM's but neither of them wear the slings in a home defense role.
    Last edited by ricky_bobby; 03-25-2019 at 02:21 PM.

User Tag List