Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Training in Oregon ...anyone familiar with....

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    Don’t misunderstand. I love Portland, at least many facets of it. But the traffic sucks when one doesn’t have to battle it. Vantucky I haven’t spent any time in at all, just a drive through on he way someplace else many times, but it’s good to know the non res permit process isn’t too onerous if you make the trip. I kind of wondered about that.

[I did see, shortly after moving here from Virginia, towing a race car home from an event in WA, a bunch of people waving confederate flags near a park named after Jefferson Davis near Vancouver. To say I was dismayed and disappointed would be an understatement.]
    I have CHLs for OR, UT, AZ, and WA. I keep my WA permit just in case. It's so easy to renew.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Don’t misunderstand. I love Portland, at least many facets of it. But the traffic sucks when one doesn’t have to battle it. Vantucky I haven’t spent any time in at all, just a drive through on he way someplace else many times, but it’s good to know the non res permit process isn’t too onerous if you make the trip. I kind of wondered about that.
    $65, prints, wait. About a month, probably, for a non-resident.

Seattle, of all places, used to do it by mail, but the state made them stop. To bad.

[I did see, shortly after moving here from Virginia, towing a race car home from an event in WA, a bunch of people waving confederate flags near a park named after Jefferson Davis near Vancouver. To say I was dismayed and disappointed would be an understatement.]
    You do know that you moved to a state that essentially had "Don't let the sun set on you here" signs at all borders until fairly recently, don't you?
    (IIRC, it was sometime in the 30s before Oregon's ban on African-Americans was abolished.)
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I have CHLs for OR, UT, AZ, and WA. I keep my WA permit just in case. It's so easy to renew.
    Well, I will look into it again; if I get my oregon chl first I expect it’ll be easier.

Banned
    Yes, I do. And it’s still far, far better than Virginia, and so we are glad we moved. But after some years here I’m under few illusions about the facets of the PNW that don’t look so shiny. You may be quite certain of that.

Do you know if appointments are necessary or that depends on the specific place you apply?

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    $65, prints, wait. About a month, probably, for a non-resident.

Seattle, of all places, used to do it by mail, but the state made them stop. To bad.

You do know that you moved to a state that essentially had "Don't let the sun set on you here" signs at all borders until fairly recently, don't you?
    (IIRC, it was sometime in the 30s before Oregon's ban on African-Americans was abolished.)

Yes, I do. And it’s still far, far better than Virginia, and so we are glad we moved. But after some years here I’m under few illusions about the facets of the PNW that don’t look so shiny. You may be quite certain of that.

Do you know if appointments are necessary or that depends on the specific place you apply?
    Wasn't sure how long you'd been there. In my experience, the dichotomy between urban/rural is sharper in OR than anywhere else, although my experience is hardly exhaustive.

I have never heard of having to make an appointment in WA (unlike OR) but many do have specific hours for CPLs, depending largely on what resource they use for fingerprinting, so there may be some office, somewhere, that does appointments. BTW, you can check either Vancouver or Clark County, either or both may process non-resident permits.

One local city uses (or used to) volunteers for prints, so you had to be able to show up when the volunteers were there, usually one or two mornings a week. Since I'm now renewing, it's a matter of walking in, dropping off the paperwork and the payment, and waiting; the city where I now live does not restrict hours for that.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Banned
    Happily, my oregon chl arrived today. I’m kinda happy about it. 🦄

I’ll make some calls for Washington state I guess.

Happily, my oregon chl arrived today. I’m kinda happy about it. 🦄

I’ll make some calls for Washington state I guess.
    The hardest part of getting my CHL at the Clark County SO was finding a parking spot downtown. They are super professional and efficient. If you show up with the form already printed and filled out you can be done in a few minutes.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Thunder ranch looks spendy AF and not especially female friendly. I may be wrong.
    I've been to TR multiple times. Normally there are females in the class. They are treated with respect and courtesy. Clint is rough around the edges and his language is probably what one would expect from a two tour Vietnam Marine.

But damn, the class is solid. If you can work up the $$$$ it is well worth it.

Edited to add: I have a sister-in-law who's been 2x, a niece and a niece-in-law who have been to TR once each, in a female only class. They loved it.
    Last edited by NETim; 03-04-2019 at 05:00 PM.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Banned
    I spoke with Mr. White today, which was cool. I’ll get started either with 101 or 101a and take it one course at a time from there. I’m excited about it. The only way out of the basement is up.

Since you’ve also noted an interest in defensive use of edged weapons here before, I am obligated to throw this link out here:

http://shivworks.com/course/ewo-oregon-2019/

I just did this class last weekend. Highly recommended. Craig is a good dude and a great teacher. Plenty of others here will vouch for that.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List