Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Training in Oregon ...anyone familiar with....

OK, I'm going to recommend Keith Tyler and perhaps @cheby and @Clusterfrack can chime in because I thought one, or both trained with him. Keith is in Vancouver but holds his training at Albany Rifle and Pistol Club.

So besides having a 20 year LE career (still active) which includes being a Firearms Instructor; he's a USPSA GM, perhaps in multiple divisions. I've shot with, against, squaded with him numerous times. He's an all around good guy, very nice and humble. His kids are big time junior shooters too. But what is most impressive to me was about 2-3 years ago he started this "academy" of mostly C and B class shooters where he provided them weekly Dry Fire and Live Fire plans and I think a couple times a year they met and did training.... Seems like about everyone from his group made Master class and maybe somebody in there even made GM.
    Last edited by nwhpfan; 03-01-2019 at 03:16 PM.
    A71593

Yes, a big +1 for Keith Tyler. I owe him major credit for my M card.

He’s a great instructor for people of all gender and age.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Yes, Keith is a great instructor and a good friend. He is Open GM which is the most difficult GM rank to accomplish in my opinion.

Seconding @Glenn E. Meyer's recommendation that you look into F•A•S - The Firearms Academy of Seattle, Inc.

About two-three hours north of you (depending on PDX traffic ) and most classes are one day, and start late enough that you won't be getting up before the roosters to make it.

(Mrs Drang's family mostly live in and around Salem, I notice the formerly 3-4 hour drive down has been getting longer and longer...)
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    I’ve emailed Keith.

I’ll make contact with the Clackamas range too, was thinking I might wait for my chl since I know that serves in lieu of a background check, though a bgck is ok if necessary. Hopefully chl comes through by end of the month, beginning next.

Sent you a PM
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

Changing gears a bit, if you spend any time north of the Columbia, Washington is far more generous with carry permits for those from out of state than Orygun. BTW.
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Changing gears a bit, if you spend any time north of the Columbia, Washington is far more generous with carry permits for those from out of state than Orygun. BTW.
    I am trying to obtain a Utah nonresident chl, which seems to be a fairly common default as many Oregon chl permit classes have Utah nonres as a component.

One thing I didn’t like about Washington non res permits is it appears you have to apply in person. Not the end of the world, but if I can get the Utah one wa state honors it is my understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    One thing I didn’t like about Washington non res permits is it appears you have to apply in person. Not the end of the world, but if I can get the Utah one wa state honors it is my understanding.
    I realize you would have to travel through Portland, but visiting Vancouver isn't that bad!
    Glenn Reynolds

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    I realize you would have to travel through Portland, but visiting Vancouver isn't that bad!
    Don’t misunderstand. I love Portland, at least many facets of it. But the traffic sucks when one doesn’t have to battle it. Vantucky I haven’t spent any time in at all, just a drive through on he way someplace else many times, but it’s good to know the non res permit process isn’t too onerous if you make the trip. I kind of wondered about that.

[I did see, shortly after moving here from Virginia, towing a race car home from an event in WA, a bunch of people waving confederate flags near a park named after Jefferson Davis near Vancouver. To say I was dismayed and disappointed would be an understatement.]

User Tag List