Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 61

Thread: Training in Oregon ...anyone familiar with....

  1. #11
    Site Supporter Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    The woman who runs the place (Heidi Smith) is probably not anti female.
    Thereís a difference between female friendly and anti female. There is a difference between tolerance and acceptance. Maybe Iíll go there one day, who knows. But Iíve followed their faceyspace page and seen some clips from Clint and draw some provisional conclusions. Iíll learn from anyone but this process is much like choosing any other educational institution.
    Always listen; there is always something to be learned.
    You canít make a racehorse out of a pig - but you can make a mighty fast pig.

  2. #12
    Site Supporter Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Thank you.im sold on trying ccpstc for sure. Yes, we may be interested in unarmed, subject to what Iíve said elsewhere. Like I donít need sumdood to show heís fitter and stronger. I know that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I moved across the river from the PDX metro area about 6 years ago so some of my info may be a little dated.

    The training at Clackamas County would be worth your time. They do make you buy their ammo, which is expensive, but the range also has excellent indoor air quality, and you don't have to worry about being on the line next to Sum Dood with his shitty Wolf ammo.

    Unfortunately, Oregon Firearms Academy has shut down. I've been meaning to see if any of them are teaching anywhere else, but haven't gotten 'round to it.

    I don't think I would describe Thunder Ranch as "anti-female." The training is excellent but spendy. I would suggest viewing some of his youtube videos or purchasing some of his DVDs before committing the $$ and time to make sure Clint would be a good fit for you.

    I haven't trained with any of the guys in the link you posted. I know of one of them through two degrees of seperation. If I had to choose between the two, I'd pick CCPSTC. That isn't a slam on the other guys, just because CCPSTC is a known quantity.

    If you've an interest in unarmed training, I can send some thoughts your way too.
    Always listen; there is always something to be learned.
    You canít make a racehorse out of a pig - but you can make a mighty fast pig.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    Thereís a difference between female friendly and anti female. There is a difference between tolerance and acceptance. Maybe Iíll go there one day, who knows. But Iíve followed their faceyspace page and seen some clips from Clint and draw some provisional conclusions. Iíll learn from anyone but this process is much like choosing any other educational institution.
    Okay.

    contemplating the differences between this or that is beyond the scope of my abilities in regards to where to train.

  4. #14
    King of Craft Clusterfrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Redneck wonderland
    Thereís a good interview on the AWS podcast with Carrie Lightfoot, founder of the Well Armed Woman, that highlights the requirements of being a good instructor for women.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...=1000425855430
    "BJJ is sort of like nonconsensual yoga"
    "You donít really graduate from certain problems or certain thingsÖ like you always have to work on trigger control and pulling the trigger straight. " --Ben Stoeger 1/24/2018

  5. #15
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    NE Washington
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    Thereís a difference between female friendly and anti female. There is a difference between tolerance and acceptance. Maybe Iíll go there one day, who knows. But Iíve followed their faceyspace page and seen some clips from Clint and draw some provisional conclusions. Iíll learn from anyone but this process is much like choosing any other educational institution.

    As a male I cannot comment or view with your lens. Been to Thunder Ranch a bunch, Heidi taught my anti-gun wife how to shoot and seen Heidi be pretty amazing to everyone.

    I pretty much recommend anyone to go.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    Thank you.im sold on trying ccpstc for sure. Yes, we may be interested in unarmed, subject to what Iíve said elsewhere. Like I donít need sumdood to show heís fitter and stronger. I know that.
    Roger. Can I shoot you a PM about the unarmed stuff?
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream.

  7. #17
    Site Supporter Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Absolutely. Thank you.


    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Roger. Can I shoot you a PM about the unarmed stuff?
    Always listen; there is always something to be learned.
    You canít make a racehorse out of a pig - but you can make a mighty fast pig.

  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Allen, TX
    And this forum proves again, that we will go out of our way to help somebody get to a better place in their knowledge journey.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

  9. #19
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Erie County, NY
    Just to add, check out http://www.corneredcat.com/contents/ for tips for women and training.

    Also, if you are willing to go to Washington -

    https://firearmsacademy.com/
    http://www.insightstraining.com/

    That may seem far but being used to TX distances, it isn't so bad to me.

    My two cents as a civilian consumer. What do you want to get out of it?

    a. Firearms techniques - are the teachers wedded to one paradigm that may be seen as older nowadays with better choices
    b. Practical procedures as a civilian carrier which include legal and decision making information for daily armed life
    c. Law Enforcement or military usages - pure military backgrounds may not be congruent with some of the above
    d. Does the instructor set credentials indicate that they have instruction in teaching firearms usage and related info. There are some recognized instructor programs out there - like Tom Givens. I think Gunsite and Ayoob run instructors classes. Knowing your stuff or performing doesn't mean you can teach them.

    About gender issues - find some women graduates of the programs to get a hint. Males are clueless in most instances. Vicki Farnam gave a great talk about that. There are books oriented to women shooters that are worth the read by Vicki Farnam, Gila Hayes, Kathy Jackson.

    Check out https://www.agirlandagun.org/chapters/

    There doesn't seem to be an Oregon chapter but there are WA chapters who might give you insight into the PNW area.

  10. #20
    Site Supporter Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    thank you, Glenn, for that good post.

    In that I've traveled all over the US to compete with cars, the distances aren't an issue, other than adding hotel costs to the training cost.

    I'm kind of in a weird area because I'm not physically petite or delicate at all, and can swear like a sailor, and have taught techniques of automobile racing to (among others) men who need a very direct, hard hitting approach. So i can respond well to that approach, and I'm generally okay with that and don't need coddling. But I don't need or want political stickers and talk everywhere, chest thumping, evangelism, operators operating operationally, or for the instructor to forget I'm female, either. Training goals - one set relate to being a competent CCW person (I've had one before in VA, carried for years, am familiar with the law of self defense as an ongoing study, have applied out here); another set relates to my desire to get decent - i don't know really how good I am capable of being, but i'd like to find out - at IDPA (and possibly USPSA or IPSC, still on the fence there). There is some overlap between these goals, of course. I'd like to do one of Langdon's classes eventually.

    Right now I'm kind of looking for the sorts of classes that are pre-reqs for other more advanced classes, as refreshers and a reminder of fundamentals.

    Definitely gonna see what I can do with the Clackamas PSTC as a start.



    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Just to add, check out http://www.corneredcat.com/contents/ for tips for women and training.

    Also, if you are willing to go to Washington -

    https://firearmsacademy.com/
    http://www.insightstraining.com/

    That may seem far but being used to TX distances, it isn't so bad to me.

    My two cents as a civilian consumer. What do you want to get out of it?

    a. Firearms techniques - are the teachers wedded to one paradigm that may be seen as older nowadays with better choices
    b. Practical procedures as a civilian carrier which include legal and decision making information for daily armed life
    c. Law Enforcement or military usages - pure military backgrounds may not be congruent with some of the above
    d. Does the instructor set credentials indicate that they have instruction in teaching firearms usage and related info. There are some recognized instructor programs out there - like Tom Givens. I think Gunsite and Ayoob run instructors classes. Knowing your stuff or performing doesn't mean you can teach them.

    About gender issues - find some women graduates of the programs to get a hint. Males are clueless in most instances. Vicki Farnam gave a great talk about that. There are books oriented to women shooters that are worth the read by Vicki Farnam, Gila Hayes, Kathy Jackson.

    Check out https://www.agirlandagun.org/chapters/

    There doesn't seem to be an Oregon chapter but there are WA chapters who might give you insight into the PNW area.
    Last edited by Medusa; 02-28-2019 at 12:47 PM.
    Always listen; there is always something to be learned.
    You canít make a racehorse out of a pig - but you can make a mighty fast pig.

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •