Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Training in Oregon ...anyone familiar with....

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand

Training in Oregon ...anyone familiar with....

https://www.defensivefirearmsinstruction.org/

These guys ? Any thoughts? The reviews look decent, but I’d appreciate any in-person knowledge.

I thought I might try their Defensive Handgun 1 class as it is a prerequisite for other classes. I have shot idpa previously and am starting again, and I have had other training but it was long ago.

I know I’ll try to take Gabe White’s class when I think I’m good enough, but it looks like it’ll maybe be a while before he’s teaching in my area.

Other suggestions are welcome, too. Just wondering if anyone’s been to the above linked place and what they thought.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    https://www.defensivefirearmsinstruction.org/

These guys ? Any thoughts? The reviews look decent, but I’d appreciate any in-person knowledge.

I thought I might try their Defensive Handgun 1 class as it is a prerequisite for other classes. I have shot idpa previously and am starting again, and I have had other training but it was long ago.

I know I’ll try to take Gabe White’s class when I think I’m good enough, but it looks like it’ll maybe be a while before he’s teaching in my area.

Other suggestions are welcome, too. Just wondering if anyone’s been to the above linked place and what they thought.
    I think you should do what's necessary to go take training from Gabe now. I doubt you'd ever regret that and the idea that you somehow "get good enough" to learn from a skilled trainer is damn near hilarious. If we thought that as a group, the greats would never have any students.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I think you should do what's necessary to go take training from Gabe now. I doubt you'd ever regret that and the idea that you somehow "get good enough" to learn from a skilled trainer is damn near hilarious. If we thought that as a group, the greats would never have any students.
    And that’s fine. I’m. Probably ok to take his stuff, but the last time I looked at the schedule there’s nothing soon. Seemingly it’s not either / or.

If you’re in Oregon thunder ranch seems like the must do.

That’s not to take away from Gabe White at all.

https://www.clackamas.us/pstc/classes

This is Gabe White's training center. I recommend it highly.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

I didn’t realize Gabe was in Oregon

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    If you’re in Oregon thunder ranch seems like the must do.

That’s not to take away from Gabe White at all.
    Thunder ranch looks spendy AF and not especially female friendly. I may be wrong.

Banned
    Thank you. I saw his other site....didn’t think know about this one. I don’t need 101 but maybe I can do 101a. I’ll make some inquiries.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    Thunder ranch looks spendy AF and not especially female friendly. I may be wrong.
    The woman who runs the place (Heidi Smith) is probably not anti female.

I moved across the river from the PDX metro area about 6 years ago so some of my info may be a little dated.

The training at Clackamas County would be worth your time. They do make you buy their ammo, which is expensive, but the range also has excellent indoor air quality, and you don't have to worry about being on the line next to Sum Dood with his shitty Wolf ammo.

Unfortunately, Oregon Firearms Academy has shut down. I've been meaning to see if any of them are teaching anywhere else, but haven't gotten 'round to it.

I don't think I would describe Thunder Ranch as "anti-female." The training is excellent but spendy. I would suggest viewing some of his youtube videos or purchasing some of his DVDs before committing the $$ and time to make sure Clint would be a good fit for you.

I haven't trained with any of the guys in the link you posted. I know of one of them through two degrees of seperation. If I had to choose between the two, I'd pick CCPSTC. That isn't a slam on the other guys, just because CCPSTC is a known quantity.

If you've an interest in unarmed training, I can send some thoughts your way too.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List