Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Training in Oregon ...anyone familiar with....

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Well, I met Mr. White today, and eked my way into handgun 101a at the end of April. Yay. I also have two classes with Mr. Tyler at the end of this month / beginning next, and then I will do the TPC three day in summer. I’m also shooting idpa matches regularly, may try a Uspsa type if I gain some confidence. I wouldn’t have found these classes or trainers without the help of people here. Same for Stoeger’s books.

So, a sincere thank you. I genuinely appreciate the help.

You are on a path to awesome. And it's going to be so much fun.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Student
    Mr. White's a real treat to listen to and watch while he does his thing. I suggest bringing something to take notes with if you haven't already started a training journal.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    Mr. White's a real treat to listen to and watch while he does his thing. I suggest bringing something to take notes with if you haven't already started a training journal.
    I’m super nerdy. Many notes will be taken. 🦄

Site Supporter
    Do you remember when I said that we are a bunch of knuckleheads, and that you can be one too? I was correct, dear super nerdy fellow knucklehead. Please be sure to give us a report. For instance, what did you learn to do differently? Also, you may even disagree with one or more technical points presented. If so, please share. I for one enjoy reading about equipment, especially holsters. Sometimes people show up with modified pistols that fail during class. And so on. I drink CZ kool aid and am eager to read experts' opinions on these pistols. In the past they had a few problems. We look forward to reading your account.

Training in Oregon ...anyone familiar with....

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    ...if you haven't already started a training journal.
    This would be pretty interesting.

Second a Notebook for a Gabe White Class. There is a lot going on.

Also, good post @willie.
    Last edited by RJ; 03-16-2019 at 05:06 AM.

Banned
    I am naturally a note taker, as I said.

I have journals and logs for both of my competition cars, and I do something similar for my shooting. These are not public documents, any more than is my personal journal.

I will certainly post questions as they occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    This would be pretty interesting.

Second a Notebook for a Gabe White Class. There is a lot going on.

Also, good post @willie.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    I am naturally a note taker, as I said.

I have journals and logs for both of my competition cars, and I do something similar for my shooting. These are not public documents, any more than is my personal journal.

I will certainly post questions as they occur.
    I certainly would not suggest you publish journals that you don't want in the public eye, but I do hope that you would consider a solid After Action Review (AAR) and some lessons learned for a few reasons:

1. So that the community at large here will have more data points for trainers/classes, from different perspectives. As we have discussed before, your situation is not mine, nor mine yours. A well worded published AAR could cause someone to PM if they needed clarifications if you don't wish to publish a couple of experiences or thoughts for whatever reason that may be helpful to others in the future. Training is not cheap and you may be able to help future shooters choose wisely. You have a unique perspective and the ability become more of a resource for others.

2. Some shooters may not have access to the resources necessary right now, and may be trying to problem solve as best they can. You illustrating a problem you are having, with the solution offered by the trainer may be just the ticket for someone struggling with a similar issue, whether the offered solution helped you or not. It is not a replacement for formal training, but maybe a stepping stone that proves successful that leads to formal training.

3. We tend to be our own harshest critics, particularly if we perceive our skills as deficient. Southnarc correcting me for looking over my sights at 3 yards was something I doubt he remembers, even considering how much wrangling it took for me to get into the class. I was a badass street cop and firearms instructor with nearly a decade of experience at the time, and that stuck with me. I am much more patient with shooters doing the same thing. When I took AFHF with TLG I was the second worst in the class. Having been there, can you imagine how I want to support struggling shooters? And related to both points above, I think, based on feedback, that it has made me more easily approached by someone intimidated by names and titles. What is more embarrassing than asking someone for help when you are struggling?

4. Own your weaknesses, and your strengths; hold yourself accountable. And, maybe, allow us to celebrate your victories with you.

Sorry, this has been a crap week for sleep, and I should have been to bed an hour ago to get an appropriate amount of sleep to face tomorrow's shift.

pat

Banned
    I hear what you’re saying and appreciate it.

I walk a line in terms of what I say publicly, especially here. I do choose to compete in matches, which is always a form of taking public ownership of one’s weaknesses. I’m at or near the bottom. As a two time national champion in a different sport, it’s difficult to be in the basement, but there’s nothing for it but to do the work to get out of the basement and see what it possible.

I trust it’ll be apparent to me after classes what, if anything, I can say that’s useful.

Site Supporter
    I look forward to reading about your classes. When you talk about what you learned, those comments very well might provide information that many of us don't know. Such has been the case when others have reported. Since you are a fairly new member, we will have opportunity to hear somebody else's findings. I bet that you will have fun and enjoy the company of other worthwhile folks. When they discover that you race cars, cars and not guns will become the conversation topic. Today I had my picture taken while standing next to somebody else's Harley. That will be sent to friends who will say WHAT!

User Tag List