Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dispatch priming

Site Supporter

Dispatch priming

https://www.policeone.com/officer-sh...ting-decisions

Pretty good summary of a Force Science report. I'm interested as it is based on solid perceptual and cognitive science effects that we have know for many years in various domains. The constructive nature of perception and decision making criteria is something that everyone should be aware of.

There was some earlier research by Tom Aveni in which they deliberately created ambiguous scenarios and then altered numerous variables to understand what made an officer more likely to shoot. The perceived seriousness of the call had a strong impact but also changed the officer's behavior in more subtle ways such as the use of a higher ready position on more dangerous calls.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

It is almost as if someone perceives increased danger, that there is a commensurate increase in vigilance and reaction. And it takes a study to suggest that this occurs? sarc/off

I have zero issue with research, but that this is something more than "if you push something hard enough, it will fall over" (HT to Firesign Theater; Fudd's First Law )) amuses me.
    Last edited by Gray01; 02-27-2019 at 06:55 PM.

I think a lot of this is a byproduct of poorly structured scenario based law enforcement training. We make scenarios stressful, but we don't train officers how to deal with the stress, and so when they leave training all they really get is stressed out when they get related call.

Active shooter is one of the worst. I understand that no one has the budget to do 80+ hours of active shooter training a year, in the little blocks of time we get, we love to make scenarios really stressful and difficult. The problem is that many officers leave training with nothing more in their brain than, active shooter call is mayhem, and when they get the call they are already getting overwhelmed out because that's all they got in training. I'm not saying it should be easy, the difficulty and stress of scenarios should be commensurate with the training.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

I know of one fatal OIS where I think this came into play. Still in litigation so I will refrain from further comment.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I think the trend away from going hands on early on and physically subduing certain folks and literally dominating the situation for safety sake as the scenes gets sortted out has increased, stress, hesitation, or even going to guns to early because of a lack of ability to physically dominate plays a big factor.
    Last edited by Paul Blackburn; 02-27-2019 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray01 View Post
    It is almost as if someone perceives increased danger, that there is a commensurate increase in vigilance and reaction. And it takes a study to suggest that this occurs? sarc/off
    A lot of current police performance research is showing that widely recognized phenomena apply to law enforcement as well. As I understand it, the psychologist who discovered, explored, and document attentional blindness has stated that it cannot apply to police officers since they are trained so well. He's admitted that he's afraid if he acknowledges it can occur to police, it would be an easy pass for all sorts of negative outcomes.
    Last edited by John Hearne; 02-27-2019 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    He's admitted that he's afraid if he acknowledges it can occur to police, it would be an easy pass for all sorts of negative outcomes.
    It sounds as if he has also admitted to being afraid of science (knowledge), because he has a personal bias that would be negatively impacted by the outcome of the science. Since that is the case, it seems as if he has essentially DQ'ed himself from any further valid research.

Maybe he can find a job with "Climate Change Inc."
    Last edited by Gray01; 02-27-2019 at 09:31 PM.

Site Supporter
    I'm not sure there is a way around it. I have often heard calls dispatched as burglaries in progress when, given the circumstances told to patrol troops, another call-taker/dispatcher combination might well have made the call a non-priority response to a suspicious circumstance. Likewise, the sound of PEW-PEW in the night might be considered a priority response to shot fired or a routine response to sound of shots.

Unfortunately, there are officers and dispatchers who so love the drama and excitement of a priority call that poor decisions are made in both driving and response.I was usually quick to reduce response codes which certainly frustrated officers addicted to manufactured adrenaline, but hopefully kept some out of trouble. I have also been witness to guns pointed at doors and buildings more to amp up the excitable officers than because of the threat level.

There were other issues but, the Tamir Rice shooting was aggravated by the fact that the caller told 9-1-1 that he thought it was a toy gun. Dispatch did not forward that nugget to responding officers.

User Tag List