Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hernias

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I got one from pushing a 60 something Oldsmobile in the impound lot late in 2007. .
    I'm not offering medical advice.

From the people that I've seen that get inguinal hernias or have failed surgeries, it usually from doing some type of single leg exercises or activity. Pushing cars or sleds, single leg squats, grappling, dumbbell rows with a knee on a bench, etc. Don't see many fat power lifters with hernias. I'm not saying that you can't get a hernia from squats and dead lifts, it's not common either.

Follow you're doctors advice on recovery, but I'd also watch out for those lighter weight activities that involve applying power with one leg and opening the groin.
    Last edited by txdpd; 02-28-2019 at 11:03 AM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

@Enel I have a hernia that I would like some advice about if you don't mind me sending you a PM.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Two 15x10cm meshes basically reconstructed the floor.
    Damn. This was a laparoscopic repair? How long from placing the first trocar to close?

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Don’t do it unless you are in daily misery uncontrolled with PPIs. It works but it’s a big surgery. Fails slowly over time often. A good option if your quality of life is massively compromised, but if you handle it with meds, not worth it.
    Thanks for the feedback!!!

I control it with meds and even better with not over-eating on any given meal or eating too late - tough as I am a higher energy guy that needs a LOT of calories every day to not lose weight, and tend to binge - and occasionally fast. Second dinner right before I go to be USED to be a favorite pastime.

One less thing to worry that I might be putting off unnecessarily/inappropriately.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

I had an inguinal hernia repair with mesh laproscopic about 4 years ago.

I now lift, deadlift, squat, etc.

There was no way I could carry on with the dull ache. Just don't let the nurse send you home unless they verified that you can piss......

Had to go to the urgent Care and have a Foley bag installed. I'll never forget that experience.

Quote Originally Posted by noguns View Post
    I had an inguinal hernia repair with mesh laproscopic about 4 years ago.

I now lift, deadlift, squat, etc.

There was no way I could carry on with the dull ache. Just don't let the nurse send you home unless they verified that you can piss......

Had to go to the urgent Care and have a Foley bag installed. I'll never forget that experience.
    Wait until a nurse folds over a rubber tube inside ya. That'll bring a tear to both of your eyes.

Wife still occasionally tells the story of the traumatized nurse coming out of my room. I think I handled it better.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

So, my laparoscopic mesh for inguinal was Dec 10th—almost 3 months. Still gets sore (I’m talking, I notice it, not "this is driving me nuts sore") after any form of exercise, eg. 45 min on an eliptical at the gym, some shadow boxing. I’ve held off of the squats, dead, and bench—my plan is to start rolling that stuff back in in May when I have more time healing under my belt, more time for gym ratting in general, and less winter pain in the ass getting out of my own driveway.

@Enel, I really appreciate the feedback—especially since you do this advising/repair for a living. Pretty much what my doc said, but I like hearing it from a guy fluent in P-Fspeak.

Incidentally, I was able to log a half mile walking—at Tim Conway ‘old man’ pace, mind—the day after gettting centerpunched with 3 pinky-sized holes, so, yeah, I can dig the walking advice.

Thanks again for sharing your expert input.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Damn. This was a laparoscopic repair? How long from placing the first trocar to close?
    Around 45 minutes. Fat guy made it a bit harder and the umbilical added time as well.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    So, my laparoscopic mesh for inguinal was Dec 10th—almost 3 months. Still gets sore (I’m talking, I notice it, not "this is driving me nuts sore") after any form of exercise, eg. 45 min on an eliptical at the gym, some shadow boxing. I’ve held off of the squats, dead, and bench—my plan is to start rolling that stuff back in in May when I have more time healing under my belt, more time for gym ratting in general, and less winter pain in the ass getting out of my own driveway.

@Enel, I really appreciate the feedback—especially since you do this advising/repair for a living. Pretty much what my doc said, but I like hearing it from a guy fluent in P-Fspeak.
    At three months that repair should be indestructable to any load you can place on it that wouldn't damage you in other ways. Occasionally we see longer term pain, but invariably it all goes away by a year.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by noguns View Post
    Just don't let the nurse send you home unless they verified that you can piss......
    Quoted for truth!

User Tag List