Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hernias

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    @Enel probably knows a thing or two about hernia repairs...

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    @Enel probably knows a thing or two about hernia repairs...
    Fixed a bilateral giant one laparoscopically plus umbilical today. Both sides had direct and indirect components, so pretty cool.

To the OP: just get it fixed by someone who does more than 30/year. I like to do it laparoscopically, but it doesn’t matter. Don’t sweat the mesh as it is absolutely standard of care. I have done many endurance athletes who were out running/cycling within a couple weeks. If you refused mesh from me, you would have to find another doctor because mesh free hernia repairs fail frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Fixed a bilateral giant one laparoscopically plus umbilical today. Both sides had direct and indirect components, so pretty cool.

To the OP: just get it fixed by someone who does more than 30/year. I like to do it laparoscopically, but it doesn’t matter. Don’t sweat the mesh as it is absolutely standard of care. I have done many endurance athletes who were out running/cycling within a couple weeks. If you refused mesh from me, you would have to find another doctor because mesh free hernia repairs fail frequently.
    What’s your typical recommendation for returning to big compound weight lifts, post mesh, in terms of time frame—if you don’t mind me asking?
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Yikes - sounds like more hernia than fascia!

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Had mine in 2000. Ruptured it moving a big ass gun safe. No surgery. No issues almost 20 years later.
    That should say no mesh in surgery. Just old fashioned stitches. Not sure WTF happened there.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I got one from pushing a 60 something Oldsmobile in the impound lot late in 2007. I re injured it while squatting early in 2009. The first repair was laparoscopic but I don't think the second one was. . I stayed away from the gym for quite a while but eventually got back into it, working up to a pretty good squat and deadlift for my age and size by 2016.

Inguanal hernia repaired 30+ years ago, I was probably in my early ‘20’s. I assume surgically. Not sure how I got it but I was very active and playing a lot of paintball at the time with a ~30-man team I co-captained. Was operational much sooner than expected and never had an issue since.

Diagnosed via upper GI with a hiatal hernia. Doc claims surgery is not a reliable option, haven’t gotten a second opinion. I have issues mostly if I over-eat. Running on PPI and other antacids more or less daily. Would love a real repair, but not very interested if it doesn’t have a good chance of permanently solving the problem.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    What’s your typical recommendation for returning to big compound weight lifts, post mesh, in terms of time frame—if you don’t mind me asking?
    I tell most people to start walking right away. Avoid deep hinging or lifting over 20 lbs for a month, and when restarting, reset to 50-60% 1 RM and ramp up over another month.

The common sense approach is to start moving. If it hurts, it isn’t ready for the weight, otherwise good to go.

If I had my own fixed, I would definitely avoid 1RM type deadlifts and squats until it was good and incorporated at around 6-8 weeks. But lighter lifts are no problem at a month, maybe even 2-3 weeks.

Any surgery has a three month early remodeling/scar period, but it is pretty strong at 4-6 weeks. Strength of the repair is probably 80% at 4, 90% at 6 and 100% at 6-12 months

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Yikes - sounds like more hernia than fascia!
    Two 15x10cm meshes basically reconstructed the floor.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    Diagnosed via upper GI with a hiatal hernia. Doc claims surgery is not a reliable option, haven’t gotten a second opinion. I have issues mostly if I over-eat. Running on PPI and other antacids more or less daily. Would love a real repair, but not very interested if it doesn’t have a good chance of permanently solving the problem.
    Don’t do it unless you are in daily misery uncontrolled with PPIs. It works but it’s a big surgery. Fails slowly over time often. A good option if your quality of life is massively compromised, but if you handle it with meds, not worth it.

User Tag List