Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hernias

Hernias

How did you get yours? How was the recovery? and if you had mesh, any complications?

I had mine (inguinal) repaired back in ? 2005 To the best of my memory;
    I had researched the different repair methods extensively and decided on having it done with regular surgical methods and an internal and external mesh, it utilized a plug design which connected the two mesh together through the defect which when fully healed was to be fully integrated. I have had zero problems and was able to continue my very physical profession, aiwb on that side is a little different feeling than the other and direct pressure on the repair reminds me it is there. I went to a specialized dedicated hernia repair facility for the surgery, one day in and out, there was significant pain for several days after and walking was encouraged asap to relieve tightness/stiffness which was an issue for about two weeks after.
    Full healing was normally thought to be after 30-45 days but when doing heavy lifting/pulling I was skeptical so I did ease back into full exertion over a longer period of time.

I got my inguinal hernia playing volleyball. Jumped up and stretched out to make a righteous spike and when I landed I had a strange pain in my abdomen. No bump until the next day.
    been living with it for several years. Was going to have it fixed last year but due to work schedules while changing jobs I couldn't do it. Mine is very low in my inguinal crease so traditional repair is my only option.

I do find that eating a low inflammatory diet and doing regular specific exercises really helps and some days the lump is not there at all.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

I have had 2 repaired (1 inguinal and one umbilical) and have a hiatial now that will be repaired in April after I return from Hawaii. I got the inguinal from lifting at work. Had the mesh repair and it was fine. Umbilical was a result of poor workmanship by the first doctor (according to the second dr) and the hiatial was from doing some strenuous work removing and hauling some trees. Recovery wasn't too bad, was back to my regular exercising and work 10 days after surgery.
    www.hero911.org
    Hero911 when seconds save lives.

Have you guys tested it out with running, cycling, bjj, deadlifting and or squatting? I wonder if running long distance would irritate things, back and forth over the mesh..

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    Have you guys tested it out with running, cycling, bjj, deadlifting and or squatting? I wonder if running long distance would irritate things, back and forth over the mesh..
    A friend of mine has the mesh (close to 10 years now I think) and hasn't mentioned any issues with running or cycling. He doesn't lift or engage in martial arts.

Chris

Mesh. 12 or 13 years ago. No issues. Unlike other surgeries and injuries I’ve had that always worry me I will re-injure, I will go years without even remembering I had hernia surgery.

(I probably just jinxed myself and the damn thing will rupture tomorrow.)

Had mine in 2000. Ruptured it moving a big ass gun safe. No surgery. No issues almost 20 years later.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    I was a climbing arborist and primarily tested it by continuing to climb and wrestle trees, I have always had a physically active lifestyle, downhill ski-ing, mountain biking, tryals motorcycle competition, roadracing motorcycles, heavy backpacking, never was a big runner but not long ago at 52 passed my states police physical agility testing regimen which included sit-ups push-ups and a timed run. I don't have any issues with any of that, but won't try to max out my lifting ability any more.

User Tag List