Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Hernias

Just had one taken care of on labor day. It was a bonus when my appendix decided it was time to come out. Good times...

Hammertime
    This is a helpful decision aid if you are considering a hernia repair.

https://www.decisionaid.info/pp/groinhernia/intro/

My dad is going in for his left inguinal on Thursday. I took it and the next day off work so I can be with him. He's completely ignorant of medical stuff and has pretty severe white coat syndrome, so me being there to explain stuff to him and keep him calm is the only chance he has of acting like a human being that day. For a couple years he was adamant that he'd live the rest of his life without this surgery, but it finally got bothersome enough for him that he's getting it done.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I had my left inguinal done about five years ago. Surgeon asked if I wanted to go ahead and do both sides. I opted for the smaller surgery. I'll probably be going back to get the right side worked on within the next six months. Nursing it along wearing a belt/brace for now.

One of my colleagues told me that his surgeon just said if you're doing one side, do them both and never worry about it again. Wish mine had gone that way.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    It’s done. Ow, this hurts.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Stay out of the memes thread for at least 2 weeks.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    The only thing worse that the surgery is the bill. Ok the only thing worse than the after surgery pee is the bill.

I’m still hoping one day I will be able to carry aiwb. I’m two months post surgery and still tender.

Site Supporter
    Currently have an annoying hernia along the bottom of my rib cage. I can do abs and core work, but tieing my shoes after a workout is downright annoying. Not sure what kind it is. This year we switched to a high deductable insurance plan...If we can hit the family deductable I will get it done for free, until then I will live with it until it gets worse.

pat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Currently have an annoying hernia along the bottom of my rib cage. I can do abs and core work, but tieing my shoes after a workout is downright annoying. Not sure what kind it is. This year we switched to a high deductable insurance plan...If we can hit the family deductable I will get it done for free, until then I will live with it until it gets worse.

pat
    Get it done in January. Be pain free. It's worth the money.
    Then let the family catch up on whatever wellness checks they've been putting off. Over 50? Colonoscopies are fun!

Fuck pain.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I’m still hoping one day I will be able to carry aiwb. I’m two months post surgery and still tender.
    At least I'm not the only one.

Some days I think I might be pushing it too much, other days I think it just takes longer than I was lead to believe it would take to heal.

User Tag List