Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Understanding Practical Application of Shotgun Patterning

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    That sounds pretty hot...do you have one setup like that?
    I do not. But I seent it, and it's pretty cool if that's what you are going for.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Slugs through any choke tighter than an Improved Modified is advised against. Shooting slugs up to IMod, I’ve never seen a problem. Some argue you can shoot slugd through light full and full, I’m not that brave. Besides, chances are good your buckshot will pattern best somewhere between Improved Cylinder and Improved Modified - if you’re using a choke.
    I wouldn't call myself brave. An idiot, maybe. But I have shot (full power large game hunting) slugs through a full choke. There was some leading on the choke, and it started to unthread itself, so putting a whole bunch of those slugs through that barrel and choke would not necessarily be the best idea. But a few didn't hurt.

(There is also at least the DDupleks penetrator slug that is recommended to be shot through a full choke for best accuracy. It's an unusual slug though.)

With the shit ammo available to me, I usually get the best patterns through a full choke. This is with usually 00-ish buckshot (some manufacturers don't use the U.S. sizes but instead for example 8mm shot), and a single load of 1 buck. However, at least Remington brand 00 buckshot clearly preferred a modified choke, so depends on the load.

Quote Originally Posted by powell556 View Post
    In that situation, is a 12" spread bad?
    Remember that you're not just trying to hit the bad guy, but specific parts of the bad guys anatomy. As the relatively few pellets in your shot cloud start to spread out, this starts to become increasingly more unlikely and down to luck. With a tighter pattern, if you do your part, all the pellets end up somewhere in the neighborhood of the bad guys really important bits.

With the advent of the shot spread reducing wad invented by Chris Billings of Choke, as licensed for use in the Federal Flight Control and Hornady Versatite loads, I no longer worry much about shotgun patterning, as I know all of my pellets will stay on a head size target out to 7-10 yds and on a body size target easily out to 25-35 yds irrespective of what shotgun I use. From 50 to 100+ yds, a good slug will get the job done. Out to any reasonable defensive engagement distance, I can aim and shoot an RDS equipped shotgun just like I would an RDS equipped pistol, SMG, or carbine--put dot on target and pull trigger.

Name:  #1FC 7yds.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  36.0 KBName:  #1FC 25yds.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  36.6 KB
    Last edited by DocGKR; 02-27-2019 at 01:12 AM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post

Note that he made a number of aiming errors...a common thing when people try to use bead sights under time pressure
    ...and yet when he "missed" he still put a full pattern on some pretty important bits of bad guy anatomy.
    What type of sights do you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    What type of sights do you recommend?
    Rifle style or ghost rings.
    3/15/2016

Rifle style or ghost rings.
    No red dot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    No red dot?

Sure, if that's what you like. I have an Aridus CROM and I'm still getting used to it. That's the best setup going for an RDS on a shotgun, IMO.
    3/15/2016

Sure, if that's what you like. I have an Aridus CROM and I'm still getting used to it. That's the best setup going for an RDS on a shotgun, IMO.
    I prefer the aimpoint micro to the RMR and it seems like Aridus CROM only works with RMR on the Mossberg 590s. At least according to their website.

Understanding Practical Application of Shotgun Patterning

Quote Originally Posted by powell556 View Post
    I prefer the aimpoint micro to the RMR and it seems like Aridus CROM only works with RMR on the Mossberg 590s. At least according to their website.
    Unfortunately that is true. The question was asked on IG and Aridus’ owner responded that something with the design of the screws in the Mossberg won’t allow the Aimpoint mounting option. Major bummer because I think I’d really like a 590 with CROM and micro clone.

Last edited by Wake27; 02-27-2019 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Unfortunately that is true. The question was asked on IG and Aridus’ owner responded that something with the design of the screws in the Mossberg won’t allow the Aimpoint mounting option. Major bummer because I think I’d really like a 590 with CROM and micro clone.
    I have a couple Aimpoint Micros I can bounce around for testing. I had one on a mossberg factory pic rail but didn't like it because it required me to hold my head too high to see through it. I hadn't previously thought to try the magpul stock cheek riser until I saw a picture from DocGKR or Darryl that showed aimpoints on shotguns with the magpul cheek riser. Maybe that will help me shoulder it better, but there will still be a bit of height above bore issue.

User Tag List