Thread: JJ Racaza class Feb 23-24, 2019

JJ Racaza class Feb 23-24, 2019

My wife and I just finished up JJ’s class this past weekend in Las Vegas, Nevada. For those not familiar, JJ has had an amazing 2018, entering and winning ten major matches, including the Open and Limited Nationals. His margin in the Open Nationals was the largest in USPSA Nationals history. He credits his success to some changes in technique and training that he made in the last year.

I took his class a year ago, and about fifty percent of this class was new, reflecting the changes he has made. A core element of his teaching philosophy is his focus on trigger control, and repeatable accuracy, which is appealing for both competition and defensive shooters. JJ doesn’t shoot very fast splits compared to elite shooters, but he wins by consistent accuracy along with the rest of his program. The afternoon of day two in his class, he runs a series of progressively more difficult field courses, and for every D hit or worse, you loose a magazine per bad hit for thirty minutes. Best to bring extra magazines, as trying to focus on movement, bump transitions and other elements of his program stresses your core shooting.

I am not going to provide a detailed description of all the things he is doing, as you really need to hear it from him, but below is an example of his training approach.

Name:  38AED88D-D334-47AE-8583-C60ADD84B794.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  53.8 KB

I have always thought Robbie Leatham was in a class of his own, when it came to high level technical shooting, but watching JJ continue to develop his methods, I now put JJ is that same league. If at all possible, I highly recommend taking his class. I don’t know the name of the class, and I don’t think JJ does either — it is just his latest take on his secret sauce to be successful.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

This may be a dumb question but what is a bump transition?

Regarding magazine hostage taking for a D hit, that's a fun little stressor. I know martial oriented guys who assess pullups per bad hit. That's fun too.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    This may be a dumb question but what is a bump transition?
    Name:  A8EC0E83-B3C3-4CC9-8132-4287F6A31149.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  24.7 KB

He’s on the top on my list. How do you compare his class to the TPC class in Utah?
    Last edited by Dismas316; 02-25-2019 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dismas316 View Post
    He’s on the top on my list. How do you compare his class to the TPC class in Utah?
    I love them both they are very different. TPC is like a graduate degree in fundamentals, where JJ jumps over fundamentals and is a circa 2019 TGO.

User Tag List