Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Leupold VX-R Patrol Tactical?

Thoughts on Leupold VX-R Patrol Tactical?

I realize this is probably overpriced but I'm burning credit card points. Any opinions on this or the Fire Dot reticle in general? For my situation, lighter weight trumps magnification, so I'm OK with 4x. Thanks!

Nice scope for the money: light weight, nice glass and I liked the auto-off/wake-up when moved feature.

The reticle is OK but I wasn't crazy about it. Not a deal breaker, but just a tad busy to my eye.

I have the 3-9 version on my MP10. My only complaint is that the turrets move to easily, sometimes even from rubbing the inside of a soft case. I have the VX/R Hog Hunter 1-4 on another AR and am quite happy with it. It has capped turrets.

I have two standard reticle VX-R's (capped turrets); one in 1.25 x 5 and the other a 2 x 7 and I'm pleased with both. The eye-relief on the lowered power model is very forgiving and when dialed down, the FOV makes it about as useful as a RDS ... albeit much heavier and larger.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 02-25-2019 at 10:00 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I got one when they first came out so I have had mine for several years now and I like it overall. The retical works well and the FireDot is visible in all lighting conditions and I have yet to need to change the battery. The low range is not a true 1x so it is not as fast as a red dot but I find I can still make my standards with it. 4X is not as high as I would like but a lot better than nothing. The only real/minor issue I have with mine is that the fire dot is not exactly centered at the center of the reticle. It can be fixed but I haven't sent the scope in as I really don't think it has affected my accuracy at all. As you already assumed - you can find a better price but if you are burning points go for it.

I’ve got a 3-9 mrad and glass clarity, weight, and dot brightness and size are all thumbs up. I wish they made one in a 2-10 or 2-12. Excellent scope for the price point.

I've got this one and love it! Capped turrets, 11.5 oz, its as fast as a red dot, and good battery life. Made hits out to 300 yards pretty easy.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold...fle-scope.html

Another Leupold option to consider;

Name:  scope-1.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  87.4 KB

FX-II Ultralight 2.5x20mm mounted with a Daniel Defense mount.

Pros;

• Extremely light weight - optic is just over six ounces, scope and mount together 12.2 ounces
    • Long eye relief and forgiving eye box makes two-eyes-open shooting very easy
    • Low profile turrets provide unobstructed FOV with two eyes open
    • Actual magnification is 2.2x, which I find perfect for a fixed magnification scope on a general-purpose carbine
    • Simple duplex reticle (I like simple), center cross hair subtends about 1 MOA at 2.2x
    • Optics are bright and clear (even more so than the VX-R)
    • This model has a superb track record on heavy recoiling, dangerous game rifles and has widespread excellent reviews
    • Available from the Leupold custom shop with different reticles, CDS turrets, etc.
    • Adjustable eye piece (diopter) to compensate for crappy eyesight

Cons;

• no illuminated reticle option
    • no mil-dot reticle options

I'm using a 150-yard zero for the scope, which places a 75-grain Gold Dot pill about .7" high at 100 yards, 2.6" low at 200 and 14.2" low at 300. At some point I may be tempted to send the scope back to Leupold for a set of CDS turrets, with the elevation turret calibrated for the 75 grain Gold Dot load.

Maybe I'm just a weirdo, but I really like this scope on my grab 'n go AR, which I have optimized for the CQC-to-300 yard envelope. I'm also using the MBUS Pro offset sights (added since I took the above photo), which makes me comfortable that I have my aiming/sighting requirements well covered with less than a pound of cargo attached to the rifle.
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 02-26-2019 at 08:05 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    I've got this one and love it! Capped turrets, 11.5 oz, its as fast as a red dot, and good battery life. Made hits out to 300 yards pretty easy.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold...fle-scope.html
    The only real issue with the VX-R Patrol is I have never understood why they put exposed target turrets on a LPV.

The glass and illumination are good. The 1.25x is usable

I like the circle of the SPR reticle for close fast work but give the exposed turrets I would choose one of the other VX-R 1.25-4 models with capped turrets unless I got a deal on a used one.

I’ve had two of these overthe years. For similar money I would likely get a Steiner 1-4 instead.
    Last edited by HCM; 02-26-2019 at 11:13 AM.

For the price listed in the link I would buy a Steiner, I like it much better than the leupold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List