Thread: New 10mm loads for 2019

New 10mm loads for 2019

I think most people who are carrying the 10mm Auto are doing it for the wrong reasons, but the renewed popularity has spurred some load development:

Federal has released a 200 grain HST loading.

Winchester has released a new 180 grain load with a bonded bullet.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Both loads interest me. I’ve wanted a camping load for my G20/29 that was primarily designed for 4-legged aggressors but still reasonable for the 2-legged problems that can arise. I’ve felt this was best accomplished with a 200 grain bullet, traveling ~1100 fps, and penetrating 18-24” after expanding to ~ 0.5-0.6” through intermediate barriers.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Both loads interest me. I’ve wanted a camping load for my G20/29 that was primarily designed for 4-legged aggressors but still reasonable for the 2-legged problems that can arise. I’ve felt this was best accomplished with a 200 grain bullet, traveling ~1100 fps, and penetrating 18-24” after expanding to ~ 0.5-0.6” through intermediate barriers.
    We're pretty much brain twins on that one. As an aside, the old Hornady 200 Grain XTP load fit exactly those criteria. I had a chance to test it through real deal ballistic gelatin under adult supervision in the early 2000s. Unfortunately, Hornady doesn't sell that load anymore, and most of the boutique makers load that bullet way too fast. It's also not a bonded bullet so its perhaps less than ideal for the Crew Cab Pickup Truck Full Of Tweakers problem.

Most of the new-ish 10mm loadings by the major manufacturers seem aimed at hitting the 12" to 18" FBI spec for penetration, albeit toward the deeper end. One exception is the 180-grain Federal JSP load, which I've never seen expand in any test, so I'm not sure what barrel length it is designed for.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I hope these perform well. It's looking more and more like I'm relocating to an area where bigger critters will be a reality near my home and play areas. While Lehigh and the like would work in 9mm or other calibers, something that penetrates deeply but still expands would be very welcome.

User Tag List