Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New shooter here...please teach, I am ready to learn

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs View Post
    Based on a true story. A friend of a friend ordered a book from Paladin Press and it triggered red flags and got his house raided by the cops.

The SIRT training pistol looks good. I won't order it for reasons above but can probably build one myself with a laser pointer and a 3D printer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cRBRrbZXVA

Is it legal or not in my country? This I will need to check. It may need to be fundamentally unable of firing a projectile and to be slightly incompatible to a real gun to be legally classified as a toy rather than a firearm or firearm component.

P.S. I am currently looking at a video documentary about the tragedy of child soldiers. I do not mean to come across as a proponent of exposing children to violence but rather intended to point out the competitive benefits of exposing people to skills early which they later take on professionally.
    Trippin'.

OK I give up. You're not at Florida State University . . . What is FSU? I ain't afraid to ask.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Can a SIRT be delivered to wherever you are? I have seen very tangible benefits in a shooter that put dedicated daily work into one for an extended time period when they could not live fire or dry fire a real pistol.

https://nextleveltraining.com/
    How’s the value of a SIRT when one is primarily a da/sa hammer fired shooter ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    Pretty much non-existent. Your DA/SA pistol provides everything you need for efficient, applicable dry practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Trippin'.

OK I give up. You're not at Florida State University . . . What is FSU? I ain't afraid to ask.
    Former Soviet Union. I don't hear that usage much anymore. Most just refer to the country now. Like Moldova, Motherland and the Newark of the FSU.

I recommend you watch the following videos. There is an enormous amount of information contained within these videos. They will not by themselves teach you how to shoot well however the videos can serve as a reference you can access repeatedly as you train. As your skill level improves and your understanding of what it takes to shoot well increases go back to the videos. You will understand more and more of the information being presented.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    I think it really depends on where one is at on the learning curve.

For a beginner, a SIRT is a boon for ease of use and utter safety.

For a safe and fundamentally sound shooter, dry practicing with the primary arm is going to be optimal if that primary isn’t a Glock or other SIRT supported model.

For those practicing integrated skills, a SIRT becomes a boon again. It’s really easy to throw on SIRTs and roll or run a scenario with a friend and know you are safe. I feel much safer doing movement work at home with a SIRT or blue gun, and it doesn’t prompt the wife to ask if she needs to go grab a rifle if she sees me with one of those covering our rear entryway or stalking the hall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    What I figured, thank you. I dry fire my berettas a lot with snap caps and am working on Stoeger’s dry fire reloaded book. Was jusr curious.

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    I think it really depends on where one is at on the learning curve.

For a beginner, a SIRT is a boon for ease of use and utter safety.

For a safe and fundamentally sound shooter, dry practicing with the primary arm is going to be optimal if that primary isn’t a Glock or other SIRT supported model.

For those practicing integrated skills, a SIRT becomes a boon again. It’s really easy to throw on SIRTs and roll or run a scenario with a friend and know you are safe. I feel much safer doing movement work at home with a SIRT or blue gun, and it doesn’t prompt the wife to ask if she needs to go grab a rifle if she sees me with one of those covering our rear entryway or stalking the hall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey all. I tried two new useful drills at the range I went to. Both are variations of each other.

The first was the range instructor took the pistol behind me, made some loading/cocking sounds, and then passed it to me. I didn't know whether it was loaded or not. And then I fired as usual at the target. He could then give me feedback whether I flinched or not, pulling the trigger.

The other variation of it was he would load a dud bullet into the magazine, and then I start shooting. When I reach it, again he sees whether I flinch and gives feedback.

You guessed it, I was still flinching (not all the time though). I flinch much less when I know the gun is unloaded vs. when I don't know or don't expect it to dry fire.

Also, I've tried to move away from one eyed shooting to two eyed shooting. It feels really wierd and I take longer to line up the sights. Does this improve with time? What are the advantages of two eyed shooting? You have better peripheral vision?

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Joe,

You mentioned vacationing in another country next year. Would you be able to train at Gunsite or Rangemaster? If a visit to the US is possible, you might email Gunsite or Rangemaster (or a formal school of your choice) and discuss the possibility of instruction.

If visiting is not convenient, "Uncle" Scotty Reitz, who subscribes to the Modern Technique developed by Jeff Cooper, has published a splendid book on the fundamentals of pistol shooting.

https://clients.mindbodyonline.com/P...nerID=0&catid=
    Thanks Duces Tecum. I checked out both www.gunsite.com and www.rangeusa.com.

My requirements as a tourist will be slightly different from a US resident...I want to maximise the range and lesson time per day regardless of working hours because I will be there on vacation.

Also, my interest for now are just pistols for self-defense purposes (including practical shooting).

Will I be ready for the intermediate and advanced pistol classes consecutively after I finish the beginner's classes (so I can do it all in one trip, their schedules permitting), or will I need to do more range time in between?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I am glad you are persistent, Joe.
    But that is just a sad commentary on the state of the shooting sports Over There, that one customer could clean out a popular caliber.
    It could be because the ranges here are still clearly geared towards tourists. Tourists don't come to shoot .22s, they come to shoot full auto AKs and Dragunovs at targets 10m away. Might be fun for some but my guess is that the reality is that probably no civilian is going to be able to 1) Own/possess/carry these guns on a daily basis 2) In most civilian lawful self-defense situations a pistol with good skills to back it up are adequate. Anyone will have a hard time convincing a jury that as a civilian they felt mortally threatened against a target 500m away and thus decided to use their Dragunov they happened to be carrying.

Still, you'd expect them to have loads of .22s because as you say it is a popular sporting caliber. And for them to take 1 week to restock

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    I recommend you watch the following videos. There is an enormous amount of information contained within these videos. They will not by themselves teach you how to shoot well however the videos can serve as a reference you can access repeatedly as you train. As your skill level improves and your understanding of what it takes to shoot well increases go back to the videos. You will understand more and more of the information being presented.
    Thanks JohnO, I've seen the Rob Leatham and the Jerry Miculek ones already. Just saw the CTT Solutions one, and will re-hash them again this evening/weekend.

Q1: Absolutely. Shooting slowly teaches you what you need to know to shoot quickly.

Q2: Stance varies with body type and other factors. Find what works for you then master grip and follow-through.

Q3: 15m is plenty at first. As you improve, shooting at 25m, 50m, and beyond highlights flaws in your technique and shows you where you need to improve.

Q3.1: Be VERY careful with YouTube. 99% of what you see there is dangerous and stupid. You can easily make fatal mistakes by trying to do those things without the proper instruction and experience. For instance, the turn/draw at the start of El Presidente are excellent places to kill a bystander if you get on the trigger too soon.

Q4: A little of each. You use your sights differently as distance and time vary. Using them well at speed can look like reflexive shooting but it’s not.

Q5: Dry fire won’t damage a modern center-fire pistol but it can damage older guns and will damage most rimfires.

Question you didn’t ask: Don’t focus on the typical use of a handgun. There is no such thing as a typical gunfight. Develop your shooting skill to the level of unconscious mastery but focus more on the tactical situation. This forum is an excellent place to find the resources to do that.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Hey all. Thanks again for all your tips and pointers

Something strange happened today, around the ~300 round mark of the 500 rounds of 9mm ammo I bought.

It was a long day with lots of shooting and I was feeling my concentration was starting to go. All my groups were clustering towards the left of the targets, despite the instructor's best efforts to make sure I wasn't making mistakes with: 1) sight alignment, 2) trigger location on the trigger finger (on the pad of the finger tip, not too forward and not on the joint crease) and 3) flinching just before firing.

In frustration I asked if I could switch to my off-hand, and surprisingly my off-hand was even better than my dominant hand. We're talking about groups of 10/10 or 9/10 in the central ring which is about 3 inches in diameter, at 10m. The instsructor and me were laughing at how my off-hand from the get go was better than my strong hand despite practising my strong hand for about a week now on thousands of rounds of ammo.

So I finished the day shooting another ~200 rounds with my off-hand.

BTW had my first misfire with a live round today, after firing a few thousand rounds of 9mm ammo already from a Glock 17. Instructor ejected the round, inspected the primer (it was dented), reloaded it into the magazine and this time it fired.

User Tag List