Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: XS Glue On J-Frame Sight - Files Instead of Milling

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    There is a problem with this, it is obviously Do I Feel Lucky, not Man's Got To Know His Limitations.

Name:  limitations.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  28.9 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    There is a problem with this, it is obviously Do I Feel Lucky, not Man's Got To Know His Limitations.

Name:  limitations.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  28.9 KB

Roger this ^^^^^, I also loved his final question: "Well, do ya punk?" Harry, who had turned to walk away (after picking up the shotgun lying on the sidewalk) returns to answer his question ("I gots to know" ). Harry cocks the .44, takes up the slack, and squeeeezes the trigger as the bg gets a "OMG, I just shit my pants" look on the his face as the .44 clicks on a spent primer. The very last part is the guy mouthing "you son of a bitch" as Harry turns away, laughing. I love the sound of the .44 during the entire movie.

Ya might say I like the Dirty Harry movies.
    "We are the domestic pets of a human zoo we call civilization."

Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival."

Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    And an occasional prayer to the Ballistic Gods doesn't hurt...
    In my case it took a couple beers to make the first pass with the file on my perfectly good gun, and no beer another day to finish.

But that is just an awesome project! I have a 19 that needs that treatment, if I could pull it off without refinish I would be more ballsy. Have been thinking about something more like what Wilson does for the Beretta 92. Come to think about it, wonder if that might be a J-frame option...

Name:  WilsonFO.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  6.8 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    First comment is: why on God's green earth does S&W persist in putting crap front sights on any of their revolvers?

When I was faced with the same problem as all of you I talked to my gunsmith and he suggested doing a dovetail front sight install on my 642. Here's the result:

Attachment 73346 Attachment 73345

It's an XS Standard Dot, with a Novak dovetail. I'm not that big a fan of Tritium anymore and this sight won't fade over time.

Dave
    Looks good! I just read a little further on and answered my own question (1911 front). I need to get some safe sided dovetail files to experiment with....

Thanks,
    Danny

I ordered one for my home brew gun.

Name:  B1B5EBE0-4D95-469B-8F69-CA861283F9C1.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  85.4 KB

I’ll be using my traditional Dremel and angle grinder approach.

Site Supporter
    For those of you that want to put a XS Dot sight on your K Frame, just follow the directions for the J Frame sight milling or filing. Then narrow the sight post that's left to 0.100 like the J Frame stock sight is.

Name:  XS Model 10-7.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  100.6 KB

Makes a Big Improvement in picking up the front sight.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

For those of you that want to put a XS Dot sight on your K Frame, just follow the directions for the J Frame sight milling or filing. Then narrow the sight post that's left to 0.100 like the J Frame stock sight is.

Glad to know that it is a possibility.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

How's the sight picture with that? That would be way to high on my 2" m10

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    How's the sight picture with that? That would be way to high on my 2" m10
    I tried to find a reference, but cannot even find the sights now on their wacky www site, but my understanding is that the middle of the dot is supposed to be where the top of the original post used to be on the J-frame. I also think you could take a little off the bottom before you glued it on.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I tried to find a reference, but cannot even find the sights now on their wacky www site, but my understanding is that the middle of the dot is supposed to be where the top of the original post used to be on the J-frame. I also think you could take a little off the bottom before you glued it on.

Name:  Screenshot 2021-10-19 at 15-58-16 Big Dot Revolver Front Sight - Smith Wesson.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  38.0 KB

You are correct about the middle of the dot being at the same height as the original sight. When you go to the website select the options tab to get to the fixed front J Frame Glue on sight. On my 2 inch Model 10 the top of the installed sight measures 0.250 high and the center of the tritium dot is 0.180 high. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by MDFA; 10-19-2021 at 04:17 PM.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

User Tag List