Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: XS Glue On J-Frame Sight - Files Instead of Milling

XS Glue On J-Frame Sight - Files Instead of Milling

I have mentioned this a couple places, but thought I might put a complete explanation in one place.

The nutshell is that XS makes a sight that is for the fixed front sight J-Frame that is integral to the barrel that requires the front sight to be reduced to a simple post, and the sight glues on with JB Weld. They have it in the small size that comes on the 340 and the larger size:
    https://www.xssights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=8375
    and you can buy it various places, including Amazon, and I think I did this so it will be the affiliated link:
    https://www.amazon.com/Xs-Big-Dot-Tr...r=8-3-fkmrnull

For some reason the instructions are tricky to find on the XS www site. I know they are there but couldn't find them until I externally searched:
    https://www.xssights.com/ITEMMEDIA/1...stallation.pdf
    The procedure can be summed up with this picture:
    Name:  Stub.JPG
Views: 3831
Size:  16.1 KB

The instructions suggest using a milling machine, and on my 638 a friend with one helped me. Clamping the thing was a challenge, you are trying to mill stainless that is screwed into aluminum without tweaking anything, and at the end of the process it seemed like it could have been done easier with files, and that is what I did with my 637. I taped up the parts I didn't want to scratch and painted it with a Sharpie and scribed some approximate lines, and went at it. Here are a couple of in process pictures:
    Name:  IP 2.jpg
Views: 3713
Size:  28.2 KB
    Name:  IP 1.jpg
Views: 3588
Size:  28.1 KB
    Probably the most difficult part of the whole job is taking the first pass with the file on your perfectly good gun...

When you are done there will be file marks, and used stippling to create a uniform look. You just grind a triangular point on a little punch:
    Name:  Punch.JPG
Views: 3549
Size:  17.1 KB
    and make a bunch of shallow dents in the surface. Then clean everything with brake cleaner and glue it on with JB Weld, making sure the sucker is straight:
    Name:  Done.JPG
Views: 3534
Size:  21.5 KB
    Name:  637 BigDot Altamont Apex.JPG
Views: 4649
Size:  76.0 KB

It took longer than I planned, but none of this was difficult.

I have a set of Big Dots on a S&W 915 from before I knew better, and I think XS express sights are a dumb idea on a pistol that you can easily put better sights on. Last week just for shits and grins I shot that 915 side by side my CZ 75 (OEM rear sight and front Dawson FO) at 15 yards 8" paper plates. The difference in speed and accuracy was striking, and not in the way that big dot fanboys would like you to think.

But on a J frame, they seem like a good idea since the thing has virtually no sights to begin with. I have a tendency to shoot high with my 637 because I keep angling the gun up to see the front ramp.

Can you post some pics (as best you can) of the sight picture now? Range report too when you can.

I wonder how this would work (shooting wise) on a fixed sight K frame. I would think I would use the standard sized dot in that case.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 02-25-2019 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    But on a J frame, they seem like a good idea since the thing has virtually no sights to begin with.
    I also think they are well aligned with the scope of what the J can accomplish.

Can you post some pics (as best you can) of the sight picture now?
    XS says the middle of the dot should be where the top of the post was.
    Name:  SP.JPG
Views: 3458
Size:  14.0 KB

I wonder how this would work (shooting wise) on a fixed sight K frame.
    I have wondered the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    XS says the middle of the dot should be where the top of the post was.
    Name:  SP.JPG
Views: 3458
Size:  14.0 KB
    That's a much more usable sight picture than the typical XS shallow V provides.

I'm going to do some measuring and math on a fixed sight K frame to see what might happen.

I’ve looked at this option, but am concerned about the durability of adhesives. Let us know how the conversion holds up.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by MolonLabe416 View Post
    I’ve looked at this option, but am concerned about the durability of adhesives. Let us know how the conversion holds up.
    I bet a couple of notches, along the vertical edge of the "post" would reduce the possibility of the XS unit sliding upward

Back in 2015, Pat Rogers sent his J frame to Robar for a redo. I beleive the front sight installed is the same one discussed here. maybe @Dagga Boy can confirm?

Before:
    Attachment 35556

After:
    Attachment 35557

Quote Originally Posted by MolonLabe416 View Post
    I’ve looked at this option, but am concerned about the durability of adhesives.
    Adhesives is a pretty broad term, ranging from Elmer's glue to aerospace structural epoxies.

A two part industrial epoxy like JB Weld or Devcon 10110, when mixed properly and applied to a clean, rough surface, is pretty damned durable. I would doubt that you could break the bond even if you dropped the gun on its front sight.

If something stronger than JB Weld would give you more confidence, Loctite's EA 9392 is probably the most well known aerospace structural epoxy out there. I have used it to assemble magnets to the shaft of permanent magnet DC motors and I can assure you that two parts properly glued with it are just not coming apart.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 02-25-2019 at 06:56 PM.

I have not shot the 637 much yet, but I have had the same sight on my 638 for a number of years. I thought about drilling a cross hole in the nub, but didn't. Somebody mentioned in another thread that theirs came off, but I think cleaning with a harsh solvent like automotive brake cleaner (be careful around the white dot plastic) is a key factor for success.

ETA:
    A two part industrial epoxy like JB Weld or Devcon 10110, when mixed properly and applied to a clean, rough surface, is pretty damned durable.
    People that take big motorcycle adventures carry JB Weld and use it to patch holes in engines after crashes to keep enough oil in to continue on until they reach civilization. It is crazy stuff. Of course now that I said that I have probably jinxed both of mine...

ETA Again: I think the guy I was thinking of that had one come off was on an 870. Yeah, I got one of those too...
    Last edited by mmc45414; 02-25-2019 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Pat Rogers sent his J frame to Robar for a redo.
    Attachment 35556
    If that thing could talk I bet it could tell some stories...

User Tag List