Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: High Speed Beretta for a Proletariat 3rd Class.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.

High Speed Beretta for a Proletariat 3rd Class.

Mods - feel free to combine this with the BIG 92 thread if needed.

I've been a Beretta Fan ever since shooting my first one back in 1994. It was what I carried in the .mil for 12 years and has become my sentimental favorite as well as bedside gun. I carry an HK at work and while I like the platform - I don't feel the love. I've also had a "fling" for a few years with the Sig P series pistols but went back to the Beretta because I can shoot it better (dropped my FAST time 1 second the moment I switched). For the past 2 years my railed 92 Compact has been my primary range gun and I see myself sticking with the platform for the foreseeable future with a certain amount of time dedicated to the HK to keep myself competent. Also my familiarity with the gun and ample stock of pre-ban magazines make it really easy to stay with.

Now that the 92 has reached a Renaissance and everything from the Wilson Customs to the LTT have been released I want one or both. The problem is that I live in Kalifornia and have no special LEO powers so I can not legally buy one (Thanks Arnold and Kamala).

Going forward I would like to have one gun for carry and one for competition. I have a classic (pre 2000) 92, a railed 92 Compact, and a 92 Elite. My current plan is to work my 92 Elite into my competition gun and my 92 railed compact into my carry gun. Both these guns have already been equipped with Wilson Combat G2 grips. I also have an idea about building an M9A1 (which my Glorious Commissars have deemed me worthy to purchase) into as close as I can get to an LTT or Wilson gun.

My question for every one is what would you do in my shoes?

Reading through the USPSA rule book it seems that I can add pretty much whatever sights I want and have the trigger worked and still keep it legal for production. What sights? Is the LT "trigger job in a bag" worth it or would you send it into Wilson or Ernest? Could I have the front strap checkered like the Wilson and keep it production legal?

As far as my Railed 92C - I'm pretty happy with everything about it other than the front sight. It seems that tritium sights can no longer be added to the milled front sights but I really want a better low light front sight. I see Wilson is doing a fiber optic modification for the front sights that looks nice and neat but is it worth it. All the open fiber optic modification look too fragile to me for a carry gun. Are there other options?

Opinions Please?
    Last edited by Suvorov; 02-24-2019 at 08:00 PM.

I recommend Ernest's trigger work wholeheartedly.

As for sights, I wonder if it is possible to get a set of the LTT Elite 92 sights from Ernest (and whether the dovetail is compatible with the original Elite). The LTT92 sights are outstanding. Otherwise, I'd recommend the Wilson Combat sights.

Pairing a M9A1 frame with a Vertec slide and Elite barrel would be a 90% solution for a LTT analog. Vertec slides are often available from Beretta USA.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I recommend Ernest's trigger work wholeheartedly.

As for sights, I wonder if it is possible to get a set of the LTT Elite 92 sights from Ernest (and whether the dovetail is compatible with the original Elite). The LTT92 sights are outstanding. Otherwise, I'd recommend the Wilson Combat sights.

Pairing a M9A1 frame with a Vertec slide and Elite barrel would be a 90% solution for a LTT analog. Vertec slides are often available from Beretta USA.
    This essentially what I did with my M9A1; Spartan sights from LTT, metal small parts where applicable, TJIAB, M9A3 slide and elite barrel.

I thought the Elite slides had the same sight cut as the Vertec? I'm still trying to learn the Lego aspect of the B92...

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Mods - feel free to combine this with the BIG 92 thread if needed.

I've been a Beretta Fan ever since shooting my first one back in 1994. It was what I carried in the .mil for 12 years and has become my sentimental favorite as well as bedside gun. I carry an HK at work and while I like the platform - I don't feel the love. I've also had a "fling" for a few years with the Sig P series pistols but went back to the Beretta because I can shoot it better (dropped my FAST time 1 second the moment I switched). For the past 2 years my railed 92 Compact has been my primary range gun and I see myself sticking with the platform for the foreseeable future with a certain amount of time dedicated to the HK to keep myself competent. Also my familiarity with the gun and ample stock of pre-ban magazines make it really easy to stay with.

Now that the 92 has reached a Renaissance and everything from the Wilson Customs to the LTT have been released I want one or both. The problem is that I live in Kalifornia and have no special LEO powers so I can not legally buy one (Thanks Arnold and Kamala).

Going forward I would like to have one gun for carry and one for competition. I have a classic (pre 2000) 92, a railed 92 Compact, and a 92 Elite. My current plan is to work my 92 Elite into my competition gun and my 92 railed compact into my carry gun. Both these guns have already been equipped with Wilson Combat G2 grips. I also have an idea about building an M9A1 (which my Glorious Commissars have deemed me worthy to purchase) into as close as I can get to an LTT or Wilson gun.

My question for every one is what would you do in my shoes?

Reading through the USPSA rule book it seems that I can add pretty much whatever sights I want and have the trigger worked and still keep it legal for production. What sights? Is the LT "trigger job in a bag" worth it or would you send it into Wilson or Ernest? Could I have the front strap checkered like the Wilson and keep it production legal?

As far as my Railed 92C - I'm pretty happy with everything about it other than the front sight. It seems that tritium sights can no longer be added to the milled front sights but I really want a better low light front sight. I see Wilson is doing a fiber optic modification for the front sights that looks nice and neat but is it worth it. All the open fiber optic modification look too fragile to me for a carry gun. Are there other options?

Opinions Please?
    I'd be curious to see what LTT releases soon. I suspect it would be a Centurion slide(with dovetail front)/compact frame soon. Which, to me, means that we'll see some dual dovetail equipped compact slides soon.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I also have an idea about building an M9A1 (which my Glorious Commissars have deemed me worthy to purchase) into as close as I can get to an LTT or Wilson gun.
    Fellow Californian here — I went this route. Picked up a LNIB M9A1 locally and then found a factory black M9A3 slide and barrel assembly (Made in Italy) on gunbroker. Added steel trigger, guide rod, oversized mag release, LTT grips, lighter hammer spring (I think I’m at 13lbs now). I like it a lot. Would prefer an offficial LTT edition, but no such luck in CA. And I console myself with the thought that I have the US armed forces’ sidearm from a parallel universe where they upgraded their old Berettas instead of going striker fired. Call it the M9A2. If you go this route, don’t run the threaded M9A3 barrel in California — but you knew that.

Could I have the front strap checkered like the Wilson and keep it production legal?
    From the USPSA rulebook Appendix D4 Production division
    21.4 Grip modifications such as, but not limited to, undercutting/smoothing the trigger guard, adding or removing finger grooves, or adding stippling, grip tape, or checkering are allowed. Replacement grip panels are allowed provided they do not extend below the butt of the gun to form a make-shift magwell
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 02-24-2019 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post
    I thought the Elite slides had the same sight cut as the Vertec? I'm still trying to learn the Lego aspect of the B92...
    Sorry if I caused any confusion - I was referring to the OP's original Elite, which was built with a Brigadier slide. I *think* Brigs and Vertecs (inexplicably) have different dovetail cuts.

Personally I think having an original Elite reworked by Ernest would be old-school cool.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 02-24-2019 at 08:50 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

If you can get possibly manage Ernest to work on your gun, do it. He does flat out voodoo magic to the gun. It's totally worth the money, every single cent.

@Wayne Dobbs - please post that pic I took of you and my Vertec, after you blew out the X-ring with my pistol.

A factory fixed Beretta front sight is pretty darn good... It's not going to move on you or die out or break. Get a Wilson rear sight and be happy. People over think things sometimes, and while I like my fiber optics, my most recent sight changes are to white dot front sights. Someone got a FAST coin with an M9A1 and factory front sight...

I'm a BIG fan of the M9A1 for CA people. I find it tracks better than the brig slide and that's what I've used a lot. You can always keep a look out for a Vertec slide (I can give you some direction there) if you want a dovetail front sight, but I've done very well with the following mods to my M9A1:

Factory D Spring
    Factory Elite II Hammer
    Factory extended mag release
    Factory "G"-Kit
    Wilson rear sight
    Wilson mag guide
    LTT Grips

I prefer the M9A1 over other models to include the 92A1 because of the checkering and beveled mag well. Obviously the LTT is the ultimate option, but for CA people, it's not realistic. The M9A1 (franken-gunned with other slides if needed) is the next best option.

As for the trigger, I'd say option 1 is sending it to Ernest Langdon. I can't describe his trigger without sounding inappropriate in a family forum... Option 2 is the trigger job in a bag. Option 3 (my choice because I want to stay within my department policy) is a "D" spring. Good things can be done with a "D" spring. Someone got a FAST coin with an M9A1 and no trigger work besides a "D" spring.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    If you can get possibly manage Ernest to work on your gun, do it. He does flat out voodoo magic to the gun. It's totally worth the money, every single cent.
    While I certainly agree with that, the "Trigger Job in a Bag" works really, really well too.
    Last edited by Dave J; 02-25-2019 at 02:08 AM.

User Tag List