Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If I were to have one revolver...

If I were to have one revolver...

I'm very much a semiauto guy (pistols and rifles) but am thinking I should have a revolver just because. My wife has an old S&W Chief's Special (pre Model 36 IIRC) in beautiful condition; we've fired maybe 75 rounds through it in 10 years. It's not much fun to shoot though, except for the novelty.

If I were to pick one up sometime, purely as a range toy, what would you suggest? Part of me is thinking "massive hand cannon"...
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - R. A. Heinlein

Used 4” K or L frame. I prefer K frames.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Unless money isn’t a concern. Then a used 3” Model 66.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

My suggestion would be a 4 inch Model 66 or Model 19.

Part of the equation for me:

In my locale I am required to have a 4 inch barrel for a deer hunting handgun.

A quality J-Frame revolver is also a good reference piece to own.
    Last edited by SecondHandSmoke; 02-23-2019 at 10:20 PM.

Older K frame .38 Special. K-38/Model 14 6” or Combat Masterpiece/Model 15 4”. If you want a magnum, a Combat Magnum/Model 19 6" or 4”. A 3" Model 66 is a great choice for a carry gun and is a very cool revolver. You will pay for the privilege. Tons of used ex-cop Combat Masterpieces/Model 15s still around, probably the best value of the bunch. Older Model 19s are getting expensive. The best vintage S&W guns are from the ‘50s and ‘60s IMHO.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    Older K frame .38 Special. K-38/Model 14 6” or Combat Masterpiece/Model 15 4”. If you want a magnum, a Combat Magnum/Model 19 6" or 4”. A 3" Model 66 is a great choice for a carry gun and is a very cool revolver. You will pay for the privilege. Tons of used ex-cop Combat Masterpieces/Model 15s still around, probably the best value of the bunch. Older Model 19s are getting expensive. The best vintage S&W guns are from the ‘50s and ‘60s IMHO.
    If you’re shooting .22s, a Model 17.
    +1 on a Model 15. If you have a serious hankering to shoot .357s, a 686.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    I have a 4 inch M19 and 4 inch Security-Six. Also a 21/2 inch M66. The Security-Six is a strong contender for ideal gun. I recommend that a young man spend a $1000 and get two as new ones. If he's lucky, he will have money left over. I have to admit that I really like the shorter M66 for use in an OMB while messing around on land that I have access to.

Site Supporter

If I were to have one revolver...

If you are going to shoot mostly or all .38 special, go for the K frame. If you plan to shoot a bunch of .357, get the L frame.

A 6” barrel (or longer) will be the most accurate but isn’t very useful for anything requiring carrying it. 4” barrels were generally considered to be the best all-around barrel. If you might ever carry it concealed, 3” can be nice.

Unless you have really large hands, get a grip with an exposed backstrap, or with no more than a thin rubber covering over the backstrap, for good hand fit. Some filler behind the trigger guard is helpful. Finger grooves are great if they fit your hand, but are less likely than not to fit.

Give some serious thought to s Ruger GP100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 02-23-2019 at 10:37 PM.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

The times over the last twenty years I have been down to one revolver it has always been a Ruger GP100.
    Either a 4” or a 3” Lately my favorite has been a blued WCGP100 in .357 I can easily see that being my one and only revolver should I have to make that choice again.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gtae07 View Post
    Part of me is thinking "massive hand cannon"...
    Do you reload? Is cost of ammunition a concern? Is there a consideration for aesthetics?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List