Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lights on Pump Shotguns (2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tactical Black Belt View Post
    I don't like a really bright light on a home defense shotgun because it can distroy your night vision if you shine it on a mirror, window glass or even a smooth white wall. Hog hunting is an entirely different matter.
    If you get some low light training you will learn how to mitigate those concerns.

I prefer a pistol light on a Magpul forend... attached by a section of rail. Currently, I still have the Insight M3X LED on my bed gun... being it has worked great for years (smoother/rounder than the TLR lights, which I prefer considering it is hanging off the side of the bed at shin level).

Main reason, I have a few different pistol lights (got rid of the Surefire, so mostly all use the same paddle system). I tend to run TLRs on most of my long guns... including my braced TAC-14, and some of my ARs. I can swap them back to a pistol somewhat easily, which I guess I like the flexibility.

But I do have some other lights on long guns. My FDE AR has an Inforce... forget the model, but with the rear facing button. My main 5.56mm AR (piston upper that I’ve had for years) uses a Surefire 6PX Pro on an IWC mount. And a Surefire M600IB Scout on my Tavor. All work, and work well. But none of them really do anything that much better than my TLRs... maybe the IB feature on the Scout light, but I bought it used for a decent price. Have two of their Fury handhelds, and no desire to spend more to swap in IB versions.

I do have an AR lower sitting in PA (because the Echo Trigger is a “machine gun” per NJ law), waiting to finish that build when I move up to ME... but likely going to be a 20” barreled upper. Will likely do a Magpul forend... with likely a pistol light. Same with the PTR 9CT, which I’ll likely just get a rail on the forend that comes with the pistol and be done with it. I just prefer them to the other options out there.

Quote Originally Posted by powell556 View Post
    In 2019 what is the current state of lights on pump shotguns? In reviewing old threads, here is what I found:

Option 1: Get a new era Surefire Dedicated Foreend DSF series. They run 600 lumens so not too bright, but probably bright enough. Very heavy and makes the shotgun feel unbalanced. The switchology is not great. But probably most durable because it's a one piece fit with no exposed wires. I have one of these and I don't like the balance of it. However, since the shotgun is primarily an indoors self-defense tool, it probably doesn't matter too much if it balances poorly.

Option 2: Get an old era Surefire Dedicated Foreend and replace the assembly with a Malkoff. Not sure exactly which Malkoff assembly works, I haven't tried this, just saw references to it in old PF threads. The switchology and balance of the older SF forends is better than the newer DSF models. This feels bad because now I have to source an old, used forend and cobble a new thing together with parts from Malkoff that will no longer be covered under warranty (as a whole at least). Why did SF have to make their new forends worse than the old ones? Also, I am not sure if the older forends work with the shorter action assembly on 14" barreled Mossbergs.

Option 3: Run a 1000 lumen SF scout light on a Magpul foreend. Seems like an interesting idea. Probably lighter than the DSF dedicated SF foreend and almost double the lumen output. Downside is that unless you run a switch, which adds an external wire as a failure point, then you're going to be limited to constant-on only because you won't be able to manipulate momentary on while running the pump. Another downside is you lose ability to run it with your weak hand in an easy way, except you can probably finagle turning it constant on with your weak hand at a weird angle and then going to run the gun weak side. My questions with this are: how do you set it up so that the light switch is accessible but not in the way so it doesn't mash against your knuckles from recoil?

Option 4: Run a 1000 lumen SF scout light on a mag tube mount. Also seems interesting but I don't think it will work with a 14" short barrel shotgun, which is what I'm most interested in. Similar pros/cons to the scout light mounted on the foreend.

Option 5: No light at all. Tom Givens has in the recent past said he doesn't advocate putting a light on a home defense shotgun. I don't remember his exact reasoning but I think it was that if you're in your own house, there's always some ambient lighting enough to at least see silhouettes. Most trainers advice on putting lights on every longgun because of positive target identification. I think Tom's point is that if you there's no ambiguity in the situation then you don't need that positive target ID, not really sure. He does mention that the light makes the gun unbalanced.

There might be other options that I'm not aware of. All of the 5 options I I posted above kind of suck in one way or another. I'm leaning most to 1000 lumen scout light on a magpul foreend, but unsure exactly where to mount it. If I'm right handed do I mount it on left side or right side? Is there any angular mounts that might shift the angle of the light such that it's closer to the gun and doesn't stick out too far along the side?
    Same boat here.

A bit of history. I currently have an 18.5 in 590A1. For a long time I had the Surefire 623 LF forend on it. Until I put 200 or so rounds through it during a class and thought I broke my left thumb on the plastic guard that surrounds the switch. In a home defense situation, obviously, that would not be a major cause for concern, but in a class, it had to go! For my second shotgun class (Givens) I replaced it with a Hogue model and it was SOOOOOOO much better.

Switch gears. Last summer I ordered a similar 590A1 SBS. It's still in NFA purgatory, but should be out soon. I plan on this being my go-to bump in the night gun. I feel like it needs a light. The Surefire from my 18.5 590A1 will not fit, as you noted. Surefire made a different 623 series for the SBS (and presumably would also be the one for the shockwave), which are out of production and VERY hard to find (last one I saw on eBay went for $400 I think). The newer Surefire dedicated forends apparently come with a spacer so they can be used on full sized or shorter Mossbergs, which is a step in the right direction. I've not yet handled one of these newer models, which also aren't cheap. I do think they're uglier, though, for whatever that's worth.

So I've been looking at perhaps the Magpul forend (which has to be modified to work on the shorter Mossbergs, FYI....GG&G sells modified ones if you don't want to do it yourself, I think for around $55) and then add a light. I too do not like the idea of a big "thing" hanging off the side of the forend. And, to be honest, if you add up the cost of the modified Magpul forend, a short piece of rail, and a decent light, you're getting close to the cost of the Surefire dedicated forend at that point. Close. So I'm torn.

Where I'm leaning now is modified Magpul forend, short rail, and one of the Inforce lights that seem to be pretty low-profile. If I use it in a class and it bothers me, I figure I could always remove it for the class and reinstall it later.

As noted, I took Tom's class and understand his rationale for no light on the shotgun, but I view one scenario where I might need to use the shotgun as being during an extended power outage, such as after severe storms. I can't rely on a bunch of LED lights to hold their power forever in such a scenario. With kids in my house who someday will be older and more prone to doing stupid teenager stuff, I feel like a light on my shotgun will be mandatory.

So I'll follow this thread and contribute to it again as my experience evolves (perhaps I'll get the Magpul and Inforce and hate them both?).

Is anyone aware of an angled light mount that I could put a SF scout on the magpul shotgun foreend such that instead of having the light hang off the side, it tucks the light into a tight triangle of barrel and mag tube? A traditional light mount puts it off on the side so it protrudes. I wonder if it would be possible to have it mounted so it go up and angled inward so it has a minimal overall footprint.

Mossberg 590
    Streamlight Protac 1L with pressure pad on Magpul forend no mods required
    Name:  thumbnail_Image-11.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  16.0 KB

Paul, could we talk you into posting pics with a side view?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    Mossberg 590
    Streamlight Protac 1L with pressure pad on Magpul forend no mods required
    Name:  thumbnail_Image-11.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  16.0 KB
    That's an SBS, yes? When you say no mods required, you mean you didn't have to modify the forend at all for the shorter forend tube? I'd like a sideview as well!

Last edited by Paul Blackburn; 02-24-2019 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    Okay, yeah, that's the modified Magpul forend I mentioned above. Looks good.

The method we have advocated for years is to take low cover in a prearranged choke point such as a stairwell or hall way. The area where you are should be pitch black dark but the other end of the hall or whatever should be somewhat illuminated. That way the home invader can't see you but you have a clear silhouette to aim at. When you play hide and seek with a shotgun the hider always wins.

User Tag List