Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lights on Pump Shotguns (2019)

Lights on Pump Shotguns (2019)

In 2019 what is the current state of lights on pump shotguns? In reviewing old threads, here is what I found:

Option 1: Get a new era Surefire Dedicated Foreend DSF series. They run 600 lumens so not too bright, but probably bright enough. Very heavy and makes the shotgun feel unbalanced. The switchology is not great. But probably most durable because it's a one piece fit with no exposed wires. I have one of these and I don't like the balance of it. However, since the shotgun is primarily an indoors self-defense tool, it probably doesn't matter too much if it balances poorly.

Option 2: Get an old era Surefire Dedicated Foreend and replace the assembly with a Malkoff. Not sure exactly which Malkoff assembly works, I haven't tried this, just saw references to it in old PF threads. The switchology and balance of the older SF forends is better than the newer DSF models. This feels bad because now I have to source an old, used forend and cobble a new thing together with parts from Malkoff that will no longer be covered under warranty (as a whole at least). Why did SF have to make their new forends worse than the old ones? Also, I am not sure if the older forends work with the shorter action assembly on 14" barreled Mossbergs.

Option 3: Run a 1000 lumen SF scout light on a Magpul foreend. Seems like an interesting idea. Probably lighter than the DSF dedicated SF foreend and almost double the lumen output. Downside is that unless you run a switch, which adds an external wire as a failure point, then you're going to be limited to constant-on only because you won't be able to manipulate momentary on while running the pump. Another downside is you lose ability to run it with your weak hand in an easy way, except you can probably finagle turning it constant on with your weak hand at a weird angle and then going to run the gun weak side. My questions with this are: how do you set it up so that the light switch is accessible but not in the way so it doesn't mash against your knuckles from recoil?

Option 4: Run a 1000 lumen SF scout light on a mag tube mount. Also seems interesting but I don't think it will work with a 14" short barrel shotgun, which is what I'm most interested in. Similar pros/cons to the scout light mounted on the foreend.

Option 5: No light at all. Tom Givens has in the recent past said he doesn't advocate putting a light on a home defense shotgun. I don't remember his exact reasoning but I think it was that if you're in your own house, there's always some ambient lighting enough to at least see silhouettes. Most trainers advice on putting lights on every longgun because of positive target identification. I think Tom's point is that if you there's no ambiguity in the situation then you don't need that positive target ID, not really sure. He does mention that the light makes the gun unbalanced.

There might be other options that I'm not aware of. All of the 5 options I I posted above kind of suck in one way or another. I'm leaning most to 1000 lumen scout light on a magpul foreend, but unsure exactly where to mount it. If I'm right handed do I mount it on left side or right side? Is there any angular mounts that might shift the angle of the light such that it's closer to the gun and doesn't stick out too far along the side?

I really dislike lights on the side of the forearm. They mash my thumb and seem to hang up more than surefire lights.

The new dsf forends are great ime. I've only used them. I don't have one personally. I do have an older surefire. I keep meaning to get a malkoff head but I keep missing the sales.

Armsunlimited has the best deal on surefires.

No light? No thanks. My house is dark enough I want a light. Not to mention but in the past when living on a farm I've used wmls to great effect on preditors. Sure on a full moon in the snow a black mink is visible in the open but chasing a varmint into a dark swamp is more common and needs a light.

Beyond that the RS regulate mount is the best I've used to mount a hand held. It's rugged and the absolute lowest profile mount.

I like a Strealight TLR on the outside of the forearm, and using my index finger to run the toggle. I’m sure any other light with that type of toggle would work too.

Not a fan of the new DSF. You only have to lose your grip once and get your index finger slammed by the edge on the back of the light housing to have a bruised up finger. It the back of the housing on the old DSF is flat and pretty forgiving.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Streamlight is coming out with a new forend similar to the Surefire one.

I was looking earlier at the Elzetta tape-switch setup, which the way it functions is purely momentary setup, and if it fails you can just turn the tail cap on and you still have a functional light

- https://www.elzetta.com/product/tape-switch-5/

Mounted to a Magpul fore-end with an offset mount is what I would do.

I have struggled with this issue on my own 870P SBS. Having owned one of the older SF forends for a Win 1300, I’m not a fan of the weight or balance. At present, I have an X300U mounted on a short piece of rail on a MagPul forend in the 6 o’clock position. Switching is obviously less than optimal. Truthfully, I wish I could just put my OEM Speedfeed forend back on it. But it is my primary “bump in the night” gun, so a light on the gun is ideal.

Regarding Givens, I’m pretty sure he is on record as saying that he has LED lightbulbs on in the hallway of his home 24/7. Thus, he doesn’t need a light on his gun. If my wife would let me, I’d adopt the same strategy.

I’ll watch this thread with interest for any ideas that I haven’t considered. I may look at the Streamlight option once it’s available, but I’m not sure I expect it to be that much different than the SF offering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't like a really bright light on a home defense shotgun because it can distroy your night vision if you shine it on a mirror, window glass or even a smooth white wall. Hog hunting is an entirely different matter.

I pulled the SF 618 lights off of my shotguns. They were replaced with Magpul foreends & rails, a mount, & a SF P2X Fury. Brighter, lighter, and less expensive.

When the new Streamlight foreend hits the market I will give it a try.

My current setup is a Streamlight mount, this one: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/75...-remington-870 On it I have an older Olight T20 mounted with a Vltor Picatinny mount. Yes, the Streamlight product is advertised as for use with Streamlight lights only (which Streamlight lights depends on which web page you are reading - I believe the eBay ad where I bought mine claimed it only works with a TLR-1), but I can confirm it seems to work with any standard Picatinny mount (at least as long as you only have a single cross bar).

Lightweight, hardly a detriment to the shotguns balance. Easy to use. Not very bright by today's Gucci gear standards, but I feel for a shotgun it's enough. Both momentary on and constant on are available, and they are both switched on with the same button which makes it easier for my monkey brain to understand (this is one application where I really appreciate a good clicky button!). Turning the light on accidentally is unlikely, while turning the light on on purpose is easy. The only real downside is switching shoulders - I have to basically rest the forend of the shotgun on top of my fist, poke the lights on switch with my thumb for constant on, then grasp the forend normally, fire, and turning the light off is the same prodedure in reverse. A bit slower than the poke - boom - poke when the shotgun is shouldered normally on my dominant hand side.

Timely thread as I just about have all the bits and pieces installed on the shotgun, with the light being the last code to crack. The RS Regulate does indeed look like a winner (was not on my radar previously). That said, I have been sore tempted to mount a piece of pic rail on the factory fore-end via screws and a "bed" of acraglass, then throw an X300 or something on there. This would be fairly low profile *and* the light would travel with the pump - which seems optimal, in theory.

The other thing I have considered (but have not done much research on with respect to available hardware) is to mount a scout light set-up with some sort of extension that would place the body of the light forward of the fore-end and use a very short tape switch. I would love to crack the code on a small bodied light that furnishes adequate lumens.

Despite be an "all the lumens" guy for most WMLs, I do not feel the same compulsion when it comes to the SG which (for *my* purposes) I view as a 50-yard (25 yards really) and in gun.

One last observation/comment, which is probably obvious to all of ya'll, trying to mount a light on a pump gun adds a layer of complication as opposed to doing so on a semi-auto with a fixed forend. (So of course I am doing the pump thing...)

User Tag List