Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Florida Duke Air Force Base Area

Florida Duke Air Force Base Area

anyone know this area? my wife is applying for a job down there and I have never been.

Florida Duke Air Force Base Area

You mean Duke Field between Crestview and Niceville? Home of 919 SOW?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RJ; 02-23-2019 at 04:47 AM.

Is this near Eglin AFB? I've been to the area a lot for business (last time was 3 weeks ago), and I have some friends who live there.

Away from the beaches the panhandle is very rural. The area was also hit by Hurricane Michael and it's going to be fucked up for a long time to come.

https://www.newsherald.com/news/2018...ricane-michael
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Away from the beaches the panhandle is very rural. The area was also hit by Hurricane Michael and it's going to be fucked up for a long time to come.

Perfect description. I live in Jackson county.

I have friends in Mary Esther, near Hurlburt Field, which is pretty close...and though I haven't been there in a few years now, it's a nice community. (They do take a battering from storms coming up from the gulf.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    anyone know this area? my wife is applying for a job down there and I have never been.
    Yes...I live in the area. Most people working at Duke live in Crestview (just a few miles north) or in the surrounding rural areas outside of Crestview (Baker, Auburn). Niceville is close to the south, though housing prices are crazy there (IMO), and Fort Walton Beach and Destin are further south still (and with Destin especially you're looking at a more substantial commute, tolls, and heavy tourist traffic for half the year). The Eglin reservation is absolutely huge, and covers the entire area between Crestview and Niceville (that span is where Duke is located) and an even larger area east to west.

It's essentially just as hot and humid here as anywhere else in Florida during the summer, but we do get a reprieve unlike most of the rest of the state - I'm sure northerners here would take issue with my use of the word seasons, but we do have a reasonable break from the heat from October to March. Winter highs in the 50s are common, and we don't often have lows below the upper 20s.

From Crestview, Pensacola is 45 minutes, Mobile is an hour and a half, New Orleans is 3.5 hours, and Atlanta is 4.5 hours. The beaches are the best in the eastern US, and the seafood is excellent. Plenty of woods and water, not a whole lot else though. The area is among the most conservative in the state, and there is a significant proportion of the population working in defense in one way or another here.

Not as many shooting ranges as there really should be given the demographics, but there are a few. There is an outdoor range in Crestview, a brand new indoor range near Eglin in Valparaiso...and I believe there is a range for .mil folks on Hurlburt Field.

Any specific questions, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post

Though Duke & Eglin are close to where Hurricane Michael came ashore, there was very minimal impact here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    You mean Duke Field between Crestview and Niceville? Home of 919 SOW?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes sir.

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    Is this near Eglin AFB? I've been to the area a lot for business (last time was 3 weeks ago), and I have some friends who live there.
    Yes its part of Eglin AFB but up north some ways. Also found out that Florida accepts my teaching license as if it were there own (thanks for your ridiculous standards IL).
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 02-23-2019 at 11:13 AM.

This looks like a nice range nearbyish:

https://www.altusshooting.com/pages/about-range

User Tag List