Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for input (Glock purchase)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffw78 View Post
    I have to admit. This has crossed my mind. I guess the gen 5 just has that shiny new thing appeal at the moment.
    G45 then?

There are so many threads / posts about the Gen 5 and it's advantages. I'm not really qualified (I only have a G19.5 and a G26.5) to recommend anything over anything else but I've been really satisfied how mine have worked out since I sold both HKs (VP9/P30SK). I have a GSSF coupon burning a hole in my pocket and I'm danged if I can't think of anything other than another G19.5 to buy (I have size M hands to the G19 fits me like a G17 fits guys with bigger hands).

As a card carrying member of the short and wide with small hands club (damn genetics) I really should prefer my G19.5 MOS over the G17.5 MOS for ease of concealment. The thing is, I really enjoy the balance and the feel of the G17 a lot more and my shooting clearly shows that I favor the larger gun. As you have some serious trigger time/focus on the G17 I'd also recommend getting another G17 and not looking back.

As a lefty it made sense for me to sell off my gen 4 guns and move to the gen 5 for the ambi mag release, and that may not matter to you, but I think that the flared/beveled mag well alone is worth the expense of trading up to the gen 5 guns. Mag changes are so easy and fast with the new guns. I look forward to hearing what you decide to do.

I think the improvements to trigger and barrel on the Gen5 guns make them worth a hard look over the Gen4 line, but that's just me.

Between the G45 and the G17 (both Gen5), it's personal preference. I don't care for the short slide/long grip combo, but there are enough VERY talented shooters on this site who have jumped on that bandwagon with both feet and rave about it that I don't doubt they're onto something. I'm just glad that the G19 "works" best for me...

I really like my 19x, so much that I'm going to get another one soon.

Since you plan on getting new sights and want a black gun, I'd definitely get the 45

I will add that the gen 4 uses the same mag release as the gen 5's, neither are ambi, but you can swap which side the button is on. The only truly ambi control is the slide lock

I'd get another one identical to the one you have.

The short barrel is not going to you any favors and is a ridiculous fad.

I’d just buy a Gen 5 Glock 17.

For me if I’m going to deal with the grip length of a 45 or 19X, may as well get some sight radius with it.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Bottom line is this. If you get another 17 your desire for the 45 will not go away. You’ll just regret you didn’t get it, so just get the 45 now, you can thank me later. Variety is the spice of life as they say..

If you want to be logical, go shoot both and then decide. I did, and it took me all of about 2 shots to go to the 19x/45 size, but that’s just me, ymmv.
    Last edited by Dismas316; 02-23-2019 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    What is your purpose in buying the gun? This is just me but if I already had a Glock 17 my next gun would be something that I could conceal in an NPE if I had to.
    So the G45 is my most favorite full size Glock. But following Cypher's line of thought I might first and go Gen 5 G26.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Hammertime
    There is no right answer except stick to Gen 5 designs. Better barrel and trigger, better extraction and ejection. Better and more durable small spring design. They are just better, I won’t personally be buying any more legacy Glocks.

G17 or G45? Flip a coin. Both great guns.

[QUOTE=Enel;849254]There is no right answer except stick to Gen 5 designs. Better barrel and trigger, better extraction and ejection. Better and more durable small spring design. They are just better, I won’t personally be buying any more legacy Glocks.

G17 or G45? Flip a coin. Both great guns.[/QUOTE

What he said.

User Tag List