Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trigger Control

Trigger Control

JHC indirectly inspired me to start what I hope is an epic trigger control thread. Whether you shoot slow, fast, for defense, or for competition, trigger control is arguably the single most important core shooting skill. Unlike many other things in shooting, I believe trigger control is not something that you can be fully taught — I think you need to learn a lot of it on your own. Even when you learn it, it is darn perishable, and requires constant attention.

In case anyone thinks I am suggesting I understand trigger control, let me say that I learn more about it each month, and believe there is more I don’t know about it than I do know. Here are some things I think I do know about it.

1) As taught by TPC, usually it doesn’t work out to increase the rate you are moving the trigger during an individual trigger press.

2) Usually, it doesn’t work out to completely stop moving the trigger during an individual press.

3) Different triggers often require a different method. A two pound SA CZ trigger may require a different method than a stock Glock, and that might be different than a DA revolver trigger. Guys with light SA triggers often say that trigger technique and discussion is unnecessary.

4) Whenever possible, I like moving the trigger when the sights are in motion.

5) It seems easier to press a trigger when you aren’t on a timer.

Since my wife and I are doing a class with JJ this weekend, and he is a total trigger control nazi, we did a trigger control session this afternoon, shooting mostly draws and follow-up shots to a two inch dot, using just one target for the whole practice.

Name:  C5E62F35-B0FF-48FC-AE6B-19B6D56275BF.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  66.9 KB

And, with no timer pressure, I shot this ten shot group from 12 yards with my CO pistol with a stock trigger.

Name:  5EA9A9A5-50E4-4E34-962E-E9FE417E91DD.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  39.5 KB

So, what do you think the secret sauce of trigger control is?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I’m probably the least qualified to speak on any “secret sauce” regarding trigger control. That being said, if you asked me to distill what proper trigger control actually is today I would say that it is one’s ability to press the trigger with enough force to trip the sear, but not too much force to aid in driving the gun off target, and be able to do that with boring consistency, and optimally doing all of that with actuating a single joint independently of the rest of your hand.

Obviously there’s a bit to unpack there. The tricky part with that is that no two triggers are really exactly the same. On top of that, wear and tear is a thing, which means each trigger is very slowly and steadily changing in and of itself. We’re also not machines that can be calibrated. Put it all together and it’s one big long ever evolving exercise in balancing the appropriate amount of force in the right direction in the most efficient way possible. And yet, it seems to be best done on a subconscious level.

A tricky skill to learn, master, and maintain indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dunno.

But I need to know. I got's to know.

I've been looking for trigger control for decades. Sometimes it's there and sometimes it isn't.

If I knew what the secret sauce was I'd bottle it and sell it.

I had a practice session today (DA revolver) that illustrated your point very clearly. Will be watching this thread with interest.

Leading to shoot a DA/SA gun ( I mean really learning to shoot it) was the single biggest investment I have ever made with regards to trigger control. The dividends are numerous and long lasting.

I intend to go back to DA/SA after this shooting season for a refresher on trigger control.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    Leading to shoot a DA/SA gun ( I mean really learning to shoot it) was the single biggest investment I have ever made with regards to trigger control. The dividends are numerous and long lasting.

I intend to go back to DA/SA after this shooting season for a refresher on trigger control.
    As much as I keep being drawn back to Glocks time and time again, I do really like spending time on TDA pistols. It’ll be a cold day in hell before I part with my Beretta 92FS.

Site Supporter
    Definitely not an expert here, but I have found that grip helps. If you grip the gun so that the central axis of the barrel lines up with the central axis of your forearm when viewed from the top, and it the grip on the gun fits your hand properly, I find that the tendency to move the gun right or left during a trigger squeeze is reduced.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Watching this thread for the secret sauce of trigger control. For me, it is dry fire. Sometimes just pressing a dead trigger because I run one of those silly SAO triggers and pressing a dead trigger with a lot of pressure shows me which way I am moving the gun. Then I adjust finger placement, try again and see of the sights move less. And so on and so forth.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

So, what do you think the secret sauce of trigger control is?
    Regular, effective Live Fire, in a shooting context related to your own circumstances (e.g. bullseye, USPSA, LEO), using your specific platform, on a virtually exclusive basis?

Case in point. This is a negative but did happen to me. For a time I was shooting a VP9 in USPSA and a P30SK LEM in training and as a SD pistol. The LEM messed with my head relative to the VP9 that my trigger control SUCKED when I moved between guns. Yes, I should have known that combination was a bad idea but in my defence when I bought them they were my like 2nd and 4th pistols I've ever owned (the G19.5 is 5 and my G26.5 is 6. Those two are all the semi-autos I have these days.)

User Tag List