Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wilson Combat EDC X9 1-week 600+-round overview

The best way I can describe this pistol is to say that it's like you took the best Beretta, and swapped in all the best bits of a 1911 (trigger, thumb safety, sights, etc), then made it G19 sized. It's the alu framed, hi-cap, hammer-fired, single-action, carry pistol I've been dreaming of. It takes real lights, and fits in quite a few standard 1911 holsters. Too bad it's kinda ugly, expensive, and ugly

Wilson Combat EDC X9 1-week 600+-round overview

I’ve wanted one ever since they debuted and even more after getting to shoot Ken Hackathorn’s last year. The trigger was pretty nice and its recoil characteristics really made the gun feel like the sights returned on target very quickly. In a few years I should be at a place in my life where I can afford one without having to eat into my savings. Until then, I’ll enjoy reading threads like this. OP, I hope you shoot the crap out of this gun.
    Last edited by WobblyPossum; 02-27-2019 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Damn apostrophes
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    I have no issues with someone spending a lot for flashy cars, guns, watches, etc. One of my friends that I served with just bought the EDC X9. He is the kind of guy that doesn't hesitate to spend $3K on a Schmidt & Bender scope or an AR. From reading OP's posts as well as reviews elsewhere I am left with the impression that this gun is a status symbol and basically does the same thing to the same level that a $379 police trade in Glock will do.
    You know, a Camary will get you to the grocery store just as good as a Z06. But, if SHTF, and you’re not adequately armed, the Z06 will give you a better opportunity to escape.

Have had multiple G19s, the EDC X9 performs better.

Then again, there’s probably a HUGE driver base that won’t get much more out of the Z06, than a Camary, so there’s that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    You know, a Camary will get you to the grocery store just as good as a Z06. But, if SHTF, and you’re not adequately armed, the Z06 will give you a better opportunity to escape.

Have had multiple G19s, the EDC X9 performs better.

Then again, there’s probably a HUGE driver base that won’t get much more out of the Z06, than a Camary, so there’s that.
    That's was the point of my post. By what measure does it "perform better" and to what degree does it do it. I own an $8000 FN FAL but I don't own it because it does anything better than a $1500 AR. I am trying to understand from an analytical and unemotional standpoint, as an Everday Carry (EDC) what does this $3000 gun do that a $379 gun won't do. As an example I can give you a dozen different specific criteria where a $3000 U.S. Gen 3 PVS-14 blows away a $400 Russian Gen 1 night vision monocular.

That's was the point of my post. By what measure does it "perform better" and to what degree does it do it. I own an $8000 FN FAL but I don't own it because it does anything better than a $1500 AR. I am trying to understand from an analytical and unemotional standpoint, as an Everday Carry (EDC) what does this $3000 gun do that a $379 gun won't do. As an example I can give you a dozen different specific criteria where a $3000 U.S. Gen 3 PVS-14 blows away a $400 Russian Gen 1 night vision monocular.
    Did I say this $3000 EDC X9 did anything better than one of my Glocks or other guns that I carry? Honestly, I’ll determine that by shooting the piss out of this gun and all of my other pistols. That’s what you do with status symbols, right? [emoji6]

I also enjoy own cool, well-built guns. I’m also completely ok with the wear and tear they will endure from shooting and carrying them often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Instagram @usmc_k9_vet
    Guncrafter Industries: NN LW CCO 9mm Nighthawk: Talon .45, GRP Double Stack 9mm, Predator T5 9mm Volkmann Precision: Combat Carry 9mm Wilson Combat: 92G Brig Tac, 92G CC

Nice. And sometime "just cause" is a perfect reason to get a high end gun, guitar, motorcycle, car, scotch- whatever.
    To be sure, a $300 Squire Jazz bass (with a few mods) probably plays and sounds as good as my $3,000 vintage Steinberger XL-2... but it's a Steinberger!

Having said that, I've pondered the idea of taking a CZ-75 Compact and converting it to SAO as a budget version of the Wilson... (and if I just put enough go-fast plastic on my Camery).
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Personal experience and opinion, one to one, my Glock 19 vs my EDC X9.

Better accuracy.
    Better trigger.
    Better recoil management.
    Better ejection.
    Can reholster with more confidence.

Don’t get me wrong, in practicality this doesn’t add up to $2000 more for many. I said more than 20 years ago, a G19 sized and capacity 1911 minus grip safety would be my ideal carry piece. I wound up with a Craig Caspian F15 Fantom and STI VIP along the way, but this one checks all the boxes for me.

Probably the biggest bang for the buck (again, for me), is I really enjoy shooting this gun, which means I spend much more Range time with it than any previous carry piece. In the end, a G19 vs EDC X9 matchup will come down to the human it’s attached to more than anything else.

While I don't carry an X9, I do carry a Wilson.

It handily outperforms a Glock in that:

1) It doesn't feel like a VHS tape when carried IWB.

2) It doesn't eject brass all over me.

3) It has gone almost 8K rounds with near zero maintenance and no parts failures.

4) It's handling/shooting characteristics are such that I can maintain an acceptable level of proficiency with a much less frequent training interval.

My logs show that I went 25 days with no live fire and only a couple of times to dry fire. I got back on the range Monday and went right into consistent 1.4-5 second draw to first hit from concealment on the black of B8s at 10-15 yards. Strong and weak hand shooting had not degraded. Other pistols I have used in the past required a lot more work to stay good with. While I may drive a white 2011 Camry with a dented fender to the range, there is a Wilson in my holster. I chose both based on performance criteria compared to other vehicles and pistols I had experience with.

Well said, M2.

I say this to whoever asks why I choose the heavy, outdated, low capacity, high cost, "high maintenance", "malfunction prone", 1911.

And the answer I give them is that if I had to make a shot; a shot that my world depended on, I'd have the best chance of making that shot with a 1911.

I get almost zero range time with my work and family schedule. Yet I'm their protector and guardian. I'm putting the pistol on my belt that I'm the most comfortable with. It's the one that I can use with the least amount of mental and physical input. It's the one that will allow me to allocate those mental resources to tackle the non-shooting problems I'll face. While the X9 cost me a pretty penny, my primary gun for the past 15 years has been a used custom colt that I bought for $950. It shouldn't be about the cost. It only is, if you make it out to be

I got the chance to put a mag through an EDC X9 two summers ago, during a trip to Idaho. One mag simply wasn't enough.

Looking back what strikes me about the EDC X9 is that I was able to shoot it without having to think about it. It felt familiar as soon as I gripped it. When I shoot a new to me handgun, I usually take a moment to get familiar with it, to get to know the feel. With the EDC X9, I didn't do that. I just snicked off the safety and shot.

What does it do better than a Glock? It's better at being not a Glock than a Glock. Grip angle, trigger, feel and recoil impulse feel better than a Glock. I also didn't have to wait for the slide to return to battery before resetting the trigger. The EDC X9 slide release is easier to manipulate. The magazine is based directly on one of the most reliable magazine designs out there. The magazine is stamped sheetmetal and is a thinner design allowing for a thinner grip. The slide glides on the frame when racked. The EDC X9 has a level of refinement that Glock cannot hope to match. Some may not find that enough to justify the price, but I don't care. It's enough for me that if I had the money, I'd buy one and shoot the hell out of it.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

User Tag List