Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wilson Combat EDC X9 1-week 600+-round overview

Wilson Combat EDC X9 1-week 600+-round overview

I have had my EDC X9 for just under a week and have about 630 rounds through it now. I would like to give my thoughts and initial impressions.

I ordered this gun from Tyler at Cajun Concealed and, as always, he is great to do business with. This particular EDC X9 has a light rail and is completely blacked out, except for the barrel. I ordered it with 5 extra mags, for a total of 7. The magazines are great. They load smoothly, I like where the holes are placed, the red followers are nice, and they just feel like an all around great design. I haven't had a single issue with them yet and I don't expect to. My EDC X9 also has the small backstrap with a medium trigger. So far it feels great and I don't really know if a large backstrap would make a difference for the better or worse; I will likely just leave it as is.

When I first handled the gun, I was very satisfied with the fit and finish. I have had much more expensive guns underwhelm me, so there is always a bit of nervousness on my end because I always want guns to just "feel right" when I receive them and function properly from the get go. This particular gun is fit just about perfect, in my opinion. Everything looks aesthetically how it should and the thumb safety clicks on and off perfectly. Just enough resistance, but nothing I have to think about when drawing the pistol.

Shooting the gun has also been great. This pistol is set up with a red fiber optic front sight and a black u-notch rear. I have come to really like this combination and, when I do my part, this gun seems to be very accurate. The trigger is phenomenal; one of the best I have felt on any of my guns - 1911-style or otherwise. One of my friends shot the gun just yesterday and commented that he thinks it is the best trigger he has ever felt on any gun he has fired, period. Also, a random thought I just had that I would like to add: this pistol was ordered with a completely naked slide and I dig the look!

Let's talk about the recoil impulse. Recoil while shooting the EDC X9 feels a bit more like a soft push to me than anything snappy. Sometimes, with 9mm, when shooting the light, fast loads like 115 grain stuff, guns feel a bit snappy, but not this one. If I could describe it, I guess I would say it feels like a less-recoiling .45. A push, not a snap. Hopefully that makes a little bit of sense. I also shot some 147 grain Speer Gold Dot GDHP and it fed and fired perfectly. 147 grain feels even softer, more of a push, and even less snappy; a very pleasant load to shoot which will be my carry load.

I have a Milt Sparks Criterion on order specifically fit for this gun. It should be here any week now. In the meantime, I am utilizing a Criterion made for a full rail 1911. I know, I know.. it is definitely too big for this gun, but the EDC X9 fits well enough and I just had to start carrying it after shooting it well and after it showed me its reliability. On my left side I'm carrying a Milt Sparks D-4C double mag carrier in natural color. The Criterion that is on order is black with elephant trim. I have a serious addiction to nice leather, Milt Sparks in particular because their products have never let me down; not once. Currently, this gear rides on a Mean Gene leather belt with polymer reinfocement sewn in. Mean Gene products have also pleasantly surprised me as the quality is right up there with some of the best of them. The belt carries this gun and extra mags no problem at all and everything is very comfortable and kept close to my body. I also have this holster on order:

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Milt-Sp...o/LCA-MSP-X9R/

I am normally an IWB carry kind of gun, but want to give OWB carry another shot, especially during these winter months, and if any holster can make it work well, I believe it is this one. Plus, it is so damn good looking!

I plan to shoot this gun, a 9mm CCO 1911 made by Guncrafter Industries, a Wilson / Beretta 92G CC, and a Glock 19 on some standard drills and, over time, determine what I truly shoot best and what works best for me. In the mix will also be a full size Guncrafter Industries Hellcat 9mm, which I will receive next week, but it will likely not be a candidate for concealed carry.

All-in-all, I am very excited about this new EDC X9. It has, so far, not disappointed one bit and has lived up to my very lofty expectations. I can honestly say I was a bit ready to be disappointed, just because I do not like to get my hopes up with new guns anymore; been let down too many times.

Oh! One thing I should mention before I conclude. I did have two FTRTB within the first 50-75 rounds or so. They were resolved with a very light tap on the back of the slide. It was at that time that I remembered the gun shipped with a shock buff installed. I field stripped the gun and trashed that devilish little blue object. I am not a fan of shock buffs, personally. I do not think they do any good in a gun like this and I really want that extra millimeter or two of slide travel and spring compression to ensure proper function. After I trashed the shock buff, feeding and reliability in general has been 100%.

Thanks all for looking! Please let me know if you have any questions and I will do my best to answer them for you.
    Last edited by usmc_k9_vet; 02-22-2019 at 07:24 PM.
    Follow me on Instagram @usmc_k9_vet
    Guncrafter Industries: NN LW CCO 9mm Nighthawk: Talon .45, GRP Double Stack 9mm, Predator T5 9mm Volkmann Precision: Combat Carry 9mm Wilson Combat: 92G Brig Tac, 92G CC

I should also add that I am using Wilson Combat’s light oil on this pistol and, so far, it seems to be a very good choice for this well-fit 9mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guncrafter Industries: NN LW CCO 9mm Nighthawk: Talon .45, GRP Double Stack 9mm, Predator T5 9mm Volkmann Precision: Combat Carry 9mm Wilson Combat: 92G Brig Tac, 92G CC

Its good to hear it is treating you good. I really want to get one of these bad.

Site Supporter
    Looks great, glad that it shoots as good as it looks

Quote Originally Posted by Arbninftry View Post
    Its good to hear it is treating you good. I really want to get one of these bad.
    I had really wanted one for a while too! I am glad this one is not disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    Looks great, glad that it shoots as good as it looks
    Thank you. I am glad as well.

EDCX9

You will like the Milt Sparks holster. I have one of my X9s riding in one of them on my belt right now. It also fits the single stack EDC9 perfectly!!

I’ve got both the Criterion and VM2 for mine. I prefer the VM2 better. That being said, I don’t use either as often, since I prefer AIWB.

No, neither holsters are for sale at the moment.

Want.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by retdusm View Post
    You will like the Milt Sparks holster. I have one of my X9s riding in one of them on my belt right now. It also fits the single stack EDC9 perfectly!!
    Thank you. I have no doubt that I will like the Milt Sparks holster. Should have it in about a week. Milt Sparks has never let me down. I find their consistency to be amazing and their design and execution to be top notch. I've tried other holster from various makers and some are good and even great, but it is the little things that Milt Sparks thinks about that usually makes their holsters more comfortable and concealable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I’ve got both the Criterion and VM2 for mine. I prefer the VM2 better. That being said, I don’t use either as often, since I prefer AIWB.

No, neither holsters are for sale at the moment.
    I wish I could get away with AIWB, but I have tried it several times and it simply hasn't worked yet for my body type. I may try it again, but for now I carry 100% of the time at the 3:30 position. I generally prefer the Criterion to the VM2, but I will say that my Beretta / Wilson 92G CC carries VERY well in a VM2.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Want.
    Get! It is a great little carry gun, so far.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc_k9_vet View Post
    I wish I could get away with AIWB, but I have tried it several times and it simply hasn't worked yet for my body type. I may try it again, but for now I carry 100% of the time at the 3:30 position. I generally prefer the Criterion to the VM2, but I will say that my Beretta / Wilson 92G CC carries VERY well in a VM2.
    AIWB wasn’t ideal, but hip issues / hip pain makes 2:30 - 4:00 painful for any extended period of time.

User Tag List