Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Local 10-rd limits that don't exempt out of state LEOs

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by serialsolver View Post
    In 1980, when I started, an officer in Texas could only carry a handgun off duty within the jurisdiction that he worked in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    So a small town cop could only carry in that small town they worked in? Not even the whole county?

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I'm guessing the obvious answer to what I'm wondering is that DPS could carry anywhere? Or were they restricted to whatever area they were assigned?
    Yeah, if you worked for the county you could carry off duty in the county you worked. Same for the state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    So a small town cop could only carry in that small town they worked in? Not even the whole county?
    Only the jurisdiction of the agency the officer worked for. Sure was glad the legislators changed that.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by serialsolver View Post
    Only the jurisdiction of the agency the officer worked for. Sure was glad the legislators changed that.

Thank you for the history lesson. I agree, glad they changed that.

It would be interesting to hear what other states were lack before the modern LEO carry laws.

In Massachusetts, off-duty LE is exempt from the 10-round mag restriction.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I'm guessing the obvious answer to what I'm wondering is that DPS could carry anywhere? Or were they restricted to whatever area they were assigned?
    Presumably, yes, due to statewide jurisdiction, state LEOs were able to carry, everywhere. It was municipal and county folks who had to be careful.

Things have evolved, thankfully. By the time I was sworn-in, in early 1984, as a Houston PD officer, I could carry in every jurisdiction, in Texas, but had to be careful in places where that certain element of LEOs were slow learners, and even then, it was merely a “defense to prosecution,” rather than an affirmative defense or exception to prosecution. We do have to be watchful, with every legislative session, for silliness such as “exception” being changed back to “a defense to prosecution,” as happened once, already. (It was fixed, in the next session.)

That is why I am extremely concerned by the occurrence of such events as the Dallas PD officer entering the wrong apartment, and shooting her neighbor. Legislators remember things like that.

Not all of these harmful changes are necessarily anti-LEO or anti-gun; sometimes it is a failure in proofreading, such as the session during which legislators were trying to better-define sex crimes, which resulted in language that seemed to prohibit virtually all sexual activity, even between consenting adults. The birth rate was unaffected, so presumably plenty of sex crimes occurred during that two-year period, until sex became legal again. (The Texas legislature meets in odd-numbered years.)
    Last edited by Rex G; 02-23-2019 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Once upon a time, when Houston graduated and swore-in a class of new officers, the Harris County Sheriff would then swear them in as non-paid deputies, too, so that they could carry legally anywhere in the county. I learned this from one of my mentors.

When I was going up to NYC last year for a wedding, I did my research beforehand and determined that you could only carry larger capacity magazines in NYC if you retired from LE while working in NY. Otherwise you were limited to 10 round mags.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    When I was going up to NYC last year for a wedding, I did my research beforehand and determined that you could only carry larger capacity magazines in NYC if you retired from LE while working in NY. Otherwise you were limited to 10 round mags.
    To clarify, in NY state, both possession of a handgun and carrying a handgun requires a license and most jurisdictions will not issue a license to active LEOs.

The vast majority of retiring LEOs in NY obtain a NYS /NYC handgun license endorsed for carry with a specific endorsement for retired LEO.

As a practical matter I would assume they are relying on the NY retired LEO carry permit to determine who “retired from LE while working in NY.”

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    To clarify, in NY state, both possession of a handgun and carrying a handgun requires a license and most jurisdictions will not issue a license to active LEOs.

The vast majority of retiring LEOs in NY obtain a NYS /NYC handgun license endorsed for carry with a specific endorsement for retired LEO.

As a practical matter I would assume they are relying on the NY retired LEO carry permit to determine who “retired from LE while working in NY.”
    Either way, they can kiss my ass in Macy's window.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

User Tag List