Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Local 10-rd limits that don't exempt out of state LEOs

Local 10-rd limits that don't exempt out of state LEOs

Has anyone made or seen a handy list of states/cities with 10-rd magazine limits that do not exempt out-of-state LEOs? We might call this the "G26 List".

California... NJ and NY, I imagine...where else?

Thanks

NJ may be fifteen, rather than ten, but one could go crazy keeping up with all of what I know consider to be “revolver/G42/1911” states. (Now that I am retired, there are places that I choose to carry much more concealed than when I still had a metal badge.)

I have read mixed information regarding DC, but may have been non-compliant when I briefly visited DC with two G19 pistols. (Our actual destination was Arlington National Cemetery, but after sundown we went to walk among the monuments on the National Mall in DC.) Due to the possibility of passing through NJ after leaving NoVA/DC/PA, I had decided to bring a pair of G19 pistols, with 15-round mags, leaving my favored G17 at home. Some time after the trip, I learned that DC seemed to have a ten-round mag limit, and a limit of twenty total rounds on one’s person, but that was debated, with no clear consensus.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    NJ may be fifteen, rather than ten, but one could go crazy keeping up with all of what I know consider to be “revolver/G42/1911” states. (Now that I am retired, there are places that I choose to carry much more concealed than when I still had a metal badge.)

I have read mixed information regarding DC, but may have been non-compliant when I briefly visited DC with two G19 pistols. (Our actual destination was Arlington National Cemetery, but after sundown we went to walk among the monuments on the National Mall in DC.) Due to the possibility of passing through NJ after leaving NoVA/DC/PA, I had decided to bring a pair of G19 pistols, with 15-round mags, leaving my favored G17 at home. Some time after the trip, I learned that DC seemed to have a ten-round mag limit, and a limit of twenty total rounds on one’s person, but that was debated, with no clear consensus.

NJ was 15 for many years but switched to a 10 round limit thia year.

Some time after the trip, I learned that DC seemed to have a ten-round mag limit, and a limit of twenty total rounds on one’s person, but that was debated, with no clear consensus.
    I always took this for granted, and thought, "Naw, that's got to be clear."

Sure enough it is perfectly clear, but has been massively misrepresented by people on the internet.

DC Code 2343.1: A person issued a concealed carry license by the Chief, while carrying the pistol, shall not carry more ammunition than is required to fully load the pistol twice, and in no event shall that amount be greater than twenty (20) rounds of ammunition.
    So, it simply isn't applicable to officers from other states carrying under LEOSA as you're not carrying under a DC CCW permit, or even any form of permit reciprocity.

In addition, dudes with revolvers carrying multiple reloads are still breaking the law, regardless of carrying no more than 20 rounds.
    Last edited by TGS; 02-22-2019 at 03:14 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    NJ was 15 for many years but switched to a 10 round limit thia year.
    OK, thanks.

It continued changes, exemplified by things like this, that prompted my settling upon a revolver, a G42, or a 1911, about a year ago, for traveling.
    Last edited by Rex G; 02-22-2019 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I always took this for granted, and thought, "Naw, that's got to be clear."

Sure enough it is perfectly clear, but has been massively misrepresented by people on the internet.

So, it simply isn't applicable to officers from other states carrying under LEOSA as you're not carrying under a DC CCW permit, or even any form of permit reciprocity.

In addition, dudes with revolvers carrying multiple reloads are still breaking the law, regardless of carrying no more than 20 rounds.
    Thanks for providing the exact statute. One wonders, however, if a something like a simple city council vote could suddenly change the equation, or, if a misguided/overzealous DC LEO might think the present DC statute applied to visiting LEOs. It is no fun being locked-up, even if by mistake, for a brief time. (When I worked my rotation in the HPD lock-up, I observed that most of the violence happened in the holding tanks and booking areas.)

Even in “gun-friendly/conservative” Texas, the legislature has, from time to time, managed to make it clear as mud when/where Texas LEOs can carry, and a few Houston LEOs, in the Eighties, were locked-up overnight by fellow officers in some of the less-educated/less-enlightened jurisdictions. During one session, the legislature un-did years of progress by making it a mere “defense to prosecution,” rather than an “exception,” that an LEO be carrying a handgun on or about his person, period. The next session changed it back to an exception, but an overzealous LEO or prosecutor could, technically, have applied the law literally.

When I was attending the HPD academy, in late 1983 to early 1984, the Assistant D.A. who was teaching us Chapter 46 of the Penal Code told us that we could carry onto school campuses, 24/7/365. That same Assistant D.A. apparently taught a later academy class, about 1986, that he would personally prosecute any LEO carrying a gun onto a school campus, unless that officer was specifically dispatched, or assigned to official business, at that school. (Finally, this circus was clarified during the Nineties, with specific language, in Chapter 46.)
    Last edited by Rex G; 02-22-2019 at 04:46 PM.

OK, thanks.

It continued changes, like this, that prompted my settling upon a revolver, a G42, or a 1911, about a year ago, for traveling.
    In the past year I've put together an air travel kit:
    - small, padlocked Pelican case that holds a G26 and LCP2, and three mags for each
    - hard plastic ammo box with 31 rounds of 9mm and 19 rds of .380 (not coincidentally, enough to fill 3 mags + chamber for each gun)

I bring a pocket holster for the Ruger, belt and pocket holsters for the G26, mag pouches, etc. This covers just about any vacation scenario I find myself in.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for providing the exact statute. One wonders, however, if a something like a simple city council vote could suddenly change the equation, or, if a misguided/overzealous DC LEO might think the present DC statute applied to visiting LEOs. It is no fun being locked-up, even if by mistake, for a brief time. (When I worked my rotation in the HPD lock-up, I observed that most of the violence happened in the holding tanks and booking areas.)

Even in “gun-friendly/conservative” Texas, the legislature has, from time to time, managed to make it clear as mud when/where Texas LEOs can carry, and a few Houston LEOs, in the Eighties, were locked-up overnight by fellow officers in some of the less-educated/less-enlightened jurisdictions. During one session, the legislature un-did years of progress by making it a mere “defense to prosecution,” rather than an “exception,” that an LEO be carrying a handgun on or about his person, period. The next session changed it back to an exception, but an overzealous LEO or prosecutor could, technically, have applied the law literally.

When I was attending the HPD academy, in late 1983 to early 1984, the Assistant D.A. who was teaching us Chapter 46 of the Penal Code told us that we could carry onto school campuses, 24/7/365. That same Assistant D.A. apparently taught a later academy class, about 1986, that he would personally prosecute any LEO carrying a gun onto a school campus, unless that officer was specifically dispatched, or assigned to official business, at that school. (Finally, this circus was clarified during the Nineties, with specific language, in Chapter 46.)

I had no idea LEO carry was like that in the 80s in Texas. I didn’t become a Texas LEO until 2007, and all the positive changes had already taken place for LEOs. That was also the year that people were finally given the right to carry a concealed weapon in their vehicle sans license and with out the travel stipulation.

What was the overall attitude towards off duty carry during your early years as a cop?

Site Supporter
    In 1980, when I started, an officer in Texas could only carry a handgun off duty within the jurisdiction that he worked in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by serialsolver View Post
    In 1980, when I started, an officer in Texas could only carry a handgun off duty within the jurisdiction that he worked in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'm guessing the obvious answer to what I'm wondering is that DPS could carry anywhere? Or were they restricted to whatever area they were assigned?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List