Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: J for pocket.

LG-105s have always been my preference.

Sight paint the front sight of a 642, then use a sharpie and black out the rear notch. Loads better.

I have too many balls in the air right now to get everything done in a timely fashion. But we not only have the Perfected J-Frame package we've been discussing, I'm also trying to find out if XS sights might cut a bulk deal on front sight installs for folks who may want to go that route with their Airweights.

I've also been on the phone three times now with a machining company that might be able to insert dots into stock Airweight front sights. They aren't sure yet, there isn't a ton of material to machine in the front sight, but the ramp and step of the front sight might allow it to be recut and an insert put in.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 02-22-2019 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

Sight paint the front sight of a 642, then use a sharpie and black out the rear notch. Loads better.
    That sounds like a good idea...oh, wait...

Link to the sight painting thread:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-s-Front-Sight
    Last edited by blues; 02-22-2019 at 01:59 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I just called D&L to see if they'll put some cool sights on my 642 and they said, "no." Gotta start with a pinned sight on a J-frame. Ungh!
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    LG-105s have always been my preference.

I have too many balls in the air right now to get everything done in a timely fashion. But we not only have the Perfected J-Frame package we've been discussing, I'm also trying to find out if XS sights might cut a bulk deal on front sight installs for folks who may want to go that route with their Airweights.

I've also been on the phone three times now with a machining company that might be able to insert dots into stock Airweight front sights. They aren't sure yet, there isn't a ton of material to machine in the front sight, but the ramp and step of the front sight might allow it to be recut and an insert put in.
    I had one of these. The front tritium was not visible because it had to be set so deep into the sloped front sight. That and the fact there were no options for rear sight blade caused me to send it down the road.
    https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...eries-model-60
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Really nice but too big for pocket. I’m thinking I may do what Revolver Rob did if I can’t do an M340 or 340pd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rich

Director of R&D and product acquisitions at Empire Outfitters

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I just called D&L to see if they'll put some cool sights on my 642 and they said, "no." Gotta start with a pinned sight on a J-frame. Ungh!
    Correct. Which is a shame, because the D&L setup is probably the very best out there.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    I had one of these. The front tritium was not visible because it had to be set so deep into the sloped front sight. That and the fact there were no options for rear sight blade caused me to send it down the road.
    https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...eries-model-60
    Yea a ramp with a trit dot in it sucks, regardless of application. The trick is to mill the ramp away, leaving only the nub of the front sight, then machine in for your dot insert. The problem is, there is so little meat on a J-Frame front sight that it's a very fine line to walk. You may not be able to get an insert in then at best you mill a little divot and fill it with paint.

I've played around, for a long time, trying to get a tritium vial installed not as a dot, but as a line, in a ramped front sight. The trouble is, the smallest vials you can get are about 1.5mm in diameter. The width of a stock J-Frame integral front sight is about 4mm. Realistically, you want to machine a inverted T-shape notch, with the narrow portion basically functioning as the sight "window", and the wide portion being where you insert the vial, and then insert the vial and cap it into place. I know how to design it to make it work, but I lack the expertise and machinery to make such a beast.

You'd end up making something like this (crude) diagram that I just drew.

Name:  image1.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  20.9 KB

I just did the XS Big Dot, using only files, patience and beer...

Posted about it in the J-Frame picture thread:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post845604
    but this picture kinda sums it up:
    Name:  637 Big Dot.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  40.6 KB
    On the left shows about 85% done.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 02-23-2019 at 08:29 PM.

Site Supporter
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ot-with-extras

Seller is a good dude I’ve done business with in the past.

Selling it with a bunch of things I don’t want such as lefty holsters. Won’t split up.

Rich

There was a sap and ankle holsters too. I asked if he’d do the aiwb and gun as I have a pocket holster. Said no.

Rich

User Tag List