Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: J for pocket.

Sounds like combat as long as it isn’t slick. I have small hands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rich

Director of R&D and product acquisitions at Empire Outfitters

My Altamont Combat grips work great for Pocket carry.
    Name:  2018-10-10 12.46.51.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  38.8 KB

That’s what I’ll do then. You’re pants pocket carrying with a hammer? Does it ever snag or get cocked?

Rich

No. I learned to shoot with SA revolvers over 60 years ago, and have used them ever since, including shooting the 637 SA. Consequently, hammer control has become pretty much subconcious though not necessarily technically correct. In the pocket, when drawing my thumb goes over the hammer in position to cock it and protects it as it comes out of my pocket. When it clears, I cock it as I bring it level and place my finger on the trigger (finger was initially extended outside the trigger guard to partially protect the trigger from snagging). Not as fast as drawing from a holster, but not bad. Pocket draw technique is somewhat different from holster draw, particularly in hammer control and timing. My method isn't politically correct, but I haven't accidentally discharged a pistol yet, knock wood.
    Last edited by JimCunn; 02-26-2019 at 10:46 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    Never mind the actual model in the link, do these grips tend to be ok for pocket or generally too long?

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...8-sw-special-p
    I have an older (Uncle Mike's, maybe?) set of those on a bobbed hammer M60 from the early '70s. It doesn't get carried often, but I do not recall having any issues drawing the revolver from the pocket of the Wranglers I usually wear. I like the increased length between the trigger face and the back of the grip which works better for me. The boot type grips are a little too short in that regard.
    Since it has recently had repair work done and a paint job on the skinny front sight, I may put in a little range time with the 158 grain ammo it prints POA with and start carrying it and give my battered 442 a break.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 02-26-2019 at 10:12 AM.

I tend to wear inexpensive George brand khaki pants from Walmart because of their relatively large pockets. The Altamont combat grips conceal OK and are very comfortable in the hand.

I’m thinking one of these two in walnut or silver black.

There’s also the PC version with similar grips already

Rich

I've got four of those in Super Rosewood. Color tends to vary somewhat from grip to grip.
    You'll need to do some bedding for perfect fit (I use JB Weld).
    They feel great in the hand.

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    I’m thinking one of these two in walnut or silver black.

There’s also the PC version with similar grips already

Personally I’d go with the engraving. Engravings have a hard time randomly falling out due to wear and tear. But that’s just me.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

Yea, you heard it here first, folks. RevolverRob, long an advocate for the Airweight J-Frame as an ideal "single gun" battery, may well switch to a 9mm LCR.
    I really like the 9mm LCR....for a revolver. I got mine on a lark, but it was amazingly durable to 2000 rounds of abuse. If I had locktited things it may have completed the 2k challenge. Trigger is really nice, and for me, it points like a Glock. I am recoil sensitive and don't care for it in that manner, but hell I shot 2000 rounds through it in a few weeks so it isn't the end of the world.

User Tag List