Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: J for pocket.

J for pocket.

Let’s pass on the BG then. Looks like 642 or 340 so far. How’s the LCR in 9mm?

Just realizing the 340 is basically priced with the 340PD. I wish I could but I can’t swing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by newyork; 02-22-2019 at 08:02 AM.
    Rich

Director of R&D and product acquisitions at Empire Outfitters

For walking around the home environs, (indoors or out), the 642 with painted front sight is tough to beat. 16 oz. loaded makes it comfortable for AIWB or pocket, (usually the former).

I have no complaints with mine.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I’ll be testing my friend’s 642 in an Aholster pocket holster this weekend as I’m finding the LCP interesting to draw and even more interesting to keep on target for successive shots. The holster itself is actually more low profile than I originally anticipated, so I’m eager to test with the 642 in it. I’d imagine the more generous grip would make drawing easier as I know keeping it on target is already easier.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    I’ll be testing my friend’s 642 in an Aholster pocket holster this weekend as I’m finding the LCP interesting to draw and even more interesting to keep on target for successive shots. The holster itself is actually more low profile than I originally anticipated, so I’m eager to test with the 642 in it. I’d imagine the more generous grip would make drawing easier as I know keeping it on target is already easier.

Good dean Spin! Looking forward to seeing your results. In my experience the J is not nearly as "unshootable" as many make it out to be. I'm far from a shooting ninjawizard or anything, but last time I tested my performance with my J I was pleased with the results. This was pre-Aholster when I was fishing around in the pocket for it sitting in a milk jug sheath. With the A-holster, the draw performance would be even better.

I do find the Lasergrips to be a game changer as well. Can you shoot the 642 sights? yes. They're much slower than a laser though, even when painted.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Alright gents, thanks for all the thoughts and feedback so far. I went to the range over lunch today to put some of this to the test. I've been wanting to see what I could do on the @Mr_White exercises with the J-frame, so that's where I started. I made the following modifications:

Bill Drill - 5 rounds instead of 6
    4 body, 2 head - 3 body, 2 head. Wanting to keep the difficulty of the 2 head shots (plus those being the more effective shots for a "stop" scenario).

I did not modify the times. Based on the difficulty of shooting the J-frame, I decided one less round was probably a wash. Maybe we can disagree and there should be some kind of a reduction in the par times.

Starting position: I shot the whole exercise from hand in pocket, on-gun. To me, this is one of the HUGE advantages of pocket-carrying a J-frame is that I can be chilling out in the checkout line or pumping gas with my hands in my pockets and a full firing grip on the gun without alerting anyone that that's what I'm doing.

Not bad overall. Would earn a Dark Pin. That's what I earned in class with Gabe shooting my 17 from SS IWB concealment as described in the OP. Also, I've put many, many thousands of rounds through Glocks in general, and my G17's in particular. Today's range session brings my lifetime total rounds through J-frames to probably 175 with 150 being through this gun.

Next, I put a vertical 3x5 at 25 yards and fired 2 cylinders at it in fairly rapid succession (maybe 1 round per second ROF):

Finally I decided to try the "hands relaxed at sides" draw from the pocket to head shots at 7yds. These times were obviously longer than firing grip start. I started getting faster by the 5th rep, but also started degrading accuracy. Realistically with some practice (and perhaps a holster mod) I believe I can get it to about 2 sec (-1 denotes in the head area, but outside the 4" circle):

Overall I'm not disappointed with this performance. There are certainly more factors to consider beyond how well you can shoot 5 rounds at static paper with a pistol, but I don't think the J-frame is this "unshootable mystery" for me.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Good dean Spin! Looking forward to seeing your results. In my experience the J is not nearly as "unshootable" as many make it out to be. I'm far from a shooting ninjawizard or anything, but last time I tested my performance with my J I was pleased with the results. This was pre-Aholster when I was fishing around in the pocket for it sitting in a milk jug sheath. With the A-holster, the draw performance would be even better.

I do find the Lasergrips to be a game changer as well. Can you shoot the 642 sights? yes. They're much slower than a laser though, even when painted.
    The sights on the 442 are pretty difficult to pick up, because they’re garbage. The 642 is even worse because of how silver they are. I’ll definitely be painting the front sight orange and the rear “sight” black worst case scenario if I pick one up. The CT laser grips are bigger than the standard boot grips and a fairly spendy, but from what I’ve heard they’re lightyears better than using the abysmal irons that it comes with. If those grips can conceal in a pocket fairly well, I can’t imagine they wouldn’t be the way to go.

I can shoot a 642 about as accurately as an LCP. Without the magazine finger extensions it’s tricky to hang on to, but it’s reliable. With the magazine extensions, it’s easier to shoot, but has a tendency to nosedive rounds into the feed ramp. If I can get a 642 to conceal well enough in a front pocket, I can figure out the best sighting solution for pocket carry in time as well.

642, paint the front sight, then spend the energy evaluating which grips work best for you. I think that grips issue is a big make or break thing in terms of people's success or disappointment with J frames. Get a pocket holster from Bob Mika. After decades of trying many varieties of pocket holsters for J frames, it is the only one I trust to hold it in the right orientation, protect the trigger guard, AND not to come out with the gun, ever.

I might have to give a set of Crimson Trace grips a try. I don't always have my glasses on so there's a good chance that picking up the front site a J frame would be impossible for me anyway. Multiple 442's and sets of laser grips would still be cheaper than a couple of 340's.

Any recommendation on what model grips to look for?

I apologize for the thread hijack newyork.

No hijack. I’d like to know too

Mine are LG-405. They have a nice cushioned area right where the web of your hand goes. They’re also the short ones that end where the frame ends for max pocket concealability.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

CT LG 205 works best for me, they are the old version and you have to patiently hunt them on ebay.

DeBethancourt had a review of the different types a while back https://snubtraining.wordpress.com/2...crimson-trace/

User Tag List