Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: J for pocket.

J for pocket.

Looking to buy a J for pocket. 642 or bodyguard 38? Why? Similar weights. Different release. Front sight can be changed on the BG. Polymer grips. Either of these the clear answer?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    Looking to buy a J for pocket. 642 or bodyguard 38? Why? Similar weights. Different release. Front sight can be changed on the BG. Polymer grips. Either of these the clear answer?
    642 or 340pd. The only bodyguard you should entertain is the 638. But the 642 is a superior pocket blaster. Smoother shape for draws.

Wish I could afford the 340. Didn’t realize the BG existed so I was curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rich

Director of R&D and product acquisitions at Empire Outfitters

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    642 or 340pd. The only bodyguard you should entertain is the 638. But the 642 is a superior pocket blaster. Smoother shape for draws.
    Even though I’m slowly moving towards the LCR camp I see the Bodyguard 38 get rejected quite a bit and am wondering why that is?
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

I prefer the M649s and M38s to all other snubnose J frame revolvers.
    Had a Colt Cobra and sent it down the road. Also a Charter .38.

Have considered a DAO snub but have not bought one, yet.
    Last edited by ACP230; 02-22-2019 at 12:17 AM.

Family members own both. Don't think either is "the clear answer". Just the one that fits you best...

I have the 642 because I am old and resistant to change. When I think Bodyguard I see my Grandfathers model 49. Then again when I hear Ford truck I see his 78 F100 so my views may be skewed. I am hesitant to purchase any gun with an integrated laser. I see guns as long term and durable. The electronics are bound to crap out before the gun does. The J frames have been out for years. If S&W decided to discontinue the new models for something else I don't want to be stuck. Just early morning rambling.

BG is available without laser too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rich

Director of R&D and product acquisitions at Empire Outfitters

The Bodyguard seems to be universally hated laser or not. It’s light, the grips are different and won’t work with standard grips, the latch is in a different spot, and I hear not fun to shoot. I’ve also been told the triggers are not good and don’t improve much over time. No personal experience though.

If you want light with decent sights the 340 (not the PD) is the way to go. It’s been on my list as a 642 replacement for a long time. The 340 has a deeper rear notch that is better than standard J’s too. Daga Boy is a fan of them and I seem to remember Ernest liking them too.

I paint the front sight on my 642 and it serves the purpose for now.
    Last edited by MGW; 02-22-2019 at 07:46 AM.

first, it's important to understand that the Bodyguard 38 is the newfangled polymer revolver that S&W makes, NOT the shrouded hammer J-frame (that is also, confusingly, known as the Bodyguard).

My main concern, having no data on quality or reliability, would be holster fit. I've found some sources that claim J-frame holsters will fit and some that won't. If they won't, it seems like comparatively few people make Bodyguard 38 holsters.

User Tag List