Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Miscellaneous NFA Trust Questions

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

Miscellaneous NFA Trust Questions

I received the paperwork for my NFA trust yesterday, and am having difficulty getting a few details tacked down. I keep getting contradictory info from Googling, so I'm hoping some of the more experienced folks could point me in right direction.

First, rules introduced in July 2016 require each trustee to submit fingerprints and passport photos to the ATF. My understanding is that the ATF wants that submitted on their specific forms. Are we supposed to buy these forms and take our own fingerprints? Do we have to submit the Form 5320.23 for each trustee every time something is purchased with the trust?

The rules stipulate that we have to notify the CLEO that an application has been submitted. Since all the trustees are in Texas, I'm told the head of DPS would technically be a CLEO to everyone. So we have to send a notification with each purchase? What needs to be included in that notification?

Once the paperwork for the trust is signed and notarized, I just need to make a few backup copies and store the original somewhere safe?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

I believe the ATF will send you the fingerprint forms for free, but I just get some from my class 3 dealer, for free.

Yes, every submission requires a set of photos and prints. Even if you buy more than a single item at once.

My dealer also handles the Cleo notification, it basically is a duplicate of the application including prints and photos. Thus you need to have 2x the prints and photos for each submission

cc

Chance
    Here are some relevant forms for various applications.
    All of them come with detailed instructions located at the bottom of each form.
    If you have any more questions just ask. You can also contact the ATF. They have been very helpful to me in the past.

https://www.atf.gov/file/11281/download
    Known as a form 1

https://www.atf.gov/file/61546/download
    Form 4

https://www.atf.gov/file/107266/download
    Responsible persons form. For use with a trust.

https://www.atf.gov/file/61511/download
    Finger print card sample (same as the one your local LEO uses. They should also be able to finger print you. Mine did. For a fee)

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/forms-library
    Link to the ATF forms library

Make copies of your trust and keep the original in a safe place. The ATF will want copies of the whole trust (every page) not just the affidavit.
    Example: If you purchase 3 suppressors and apply to make a SBR, that's 4 items. Each item is processed individually. So keep in mind that is 4 of everything.
    Example: 2 photos of everyone on the trust times 4. If there are two people on the trust that's 8 for you and 8 for the other person. etc.
    Same with the finger print cards.
    CLEO notification info is on each form. You'll need to know that persons name, the agency, and the address for that agency. There will be a cleo form for each item. You can mail them all together to the cleo. Once you mail them you've satisfied your responsibility to notify.
    Like cc said your dealer might be able to help with a lot of this.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by baddean; 02-21-2019 at 08:57 PM.
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post

My dealer also handles the Cleo notification, it basically is a duplicate of the application including prints and photos. Thus you need to have 2x the prints and photos for each submission

cc

Please cite your source for this information.

Print cards, or any other atf form can be obtained here: https://www.atf.gov/distribution-center-order-form
    Last edited by Dan_S; 02-22-2019 at 03:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    Please cite your source for this information.

Print cards, or any other atf form can be obtained here: https://www.atf.gov/distribution-center-order-form
    My source is my dealer. That's what they have done now on 3 of my submissions (2 approved and #3 pending from last June)

cc
    Last edited by ccmdfd; 02-22-2019 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    My source is my dealer. That's what they have done now on 3 of my submissions (2 approved and #3 pending from last June)

cc
    What state?

I’ve never heard of anyone providing prints on a CLEO notification, prior to this thread.

As for who to notify, your state attorney general works.

The CLEO does not get a copy of the passport photo or prints FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    What state?

I’ve never heard of anyone providing prints on a CLEO notification, prior to this thread.

As for who to notify, your state attorney general works.
    NC

Quote Originally Posted by karmapolice View Post
    The CLEO does not get a copy of the passport photo or prints FYI.
    Exactly. Another dealer that doesn’t know what he’s talking about. It’s a notification, not a permission slip. The whole CLEO sign off is gone, and even the sign off didn’t require prints or photos.

On said notification, it states clearly that no action is to be taken, unless they have information that would disqualify you. Hence, no prints....
    Last edited by Dan_S; 02-22-2019 at 10:30 AM.

So the two passport photos and two fdinger print cards are for the orignal and main form that go to the ATF examiners office, the CLEO only gets a form that has some of the information the full first form has, they do not get a copy of passport photos or fingerprint cards. It doesn't matter what state you reside in the CLEO doesn't get them, it is simply a form they get and if they wish to call the ATF and challenge they could. It is just like a multi handgun purchase form that a FFL has to send if you purchase two or more handguns in a consecutive five day business period. A form is faxed to the ATF and the local LE.

The CLEO copy doesn't even have all the information of what the main form has, it doesn't have the serial number for the item is just has make model.

User Tag List