Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Benchmade is a dumpster fire right now

Benchmade is a dumpster fire right now

Benchmade appears to have been part of a PD firearm destroying PR stunt in their Oregon hometown.
    Of course that got people riled up who started digging more into the company and the owners.
    Appears the owners donate a shit ton of money to anti-gun D politicians in OR and WA.

Might want to factor that into your future knife purchases.
    I know I will be looking at ZT, CRKT and Spyderco from now on.

btw: their FaceBook and Instagram are getting wrecked right now.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Started buying ZT after hearing some rumblings of this... interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Benchmade appears to have been part of a PD firearm destroying PR stunt in their Oregon hometown.
    Of course that got people riled up who started digging more into the company and the owners.
    Appears the owners donate a shit ton of money to anti-gun D politicians in OR and WA.

Might want to factor that into your future knife purchases.
    I know I will be looking at ZT, CRKT and Spyderco from now on.

btw: their FaceBook and Instagram are getting wrecked right now.
    FYI - Kershaw (and by default ZT), CRKT, Gerber, and Al Mar are all HQ'ed in the same town. A good friend and colleague grew up in that town, she said they call it "Knifemaker's Row".

ETA: Sorry that was incorrect. Gerber, CRKT, Al Mar, and Kershaw are all HQ'ed in the same town, but Benchmade is in a different one.

I'm not saying that those companies donate to those particular causes, but I would keep an eye out.

TBH though, I haven't bought a Benchmade knife in nearly 20 years. Spyderco has been my go to since about 2002 and my only non-Spyderco forays have been Kershaw and Emerson.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 02-20-2019 at 11:41 PM.

...the owners donate a shit ton of money to anti-gun D politicians in OR and WA...
    I wonder...is this just a case of Democrats being Democrat, or is this a case of businessmen trying to create a market?

I don't go looking into a companies politics, but I do take notice when the company puts politics front and center.

"Don't ask, don't tell" should be taught in business school.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Shit is savage on Instagram. SOG and H&K are giving BM a lot of hell.

More importantly - Emerson Knives just made this post:

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 10.51.16 PM.jpg
Views: 1252
Size:  37.0 KB

I remind everyone that Ernie is exceptionally pro-gun. He's had his own Les Baer edition gun made and the dude has made a knife called the 1911. Heck bushing wrenches are available in the gear store.

Note: I've had the pleasure of knowing Ernest Emerson, personally, for about a dozen years now, and thus I am inclined to not only support his company from a quality and product perspective, but from a personal perspective. I do not, however, have any financial stake in Emerson Knives Inc. (EKI).
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 02-20-2019 at 11:56 PM.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Myeh...I used to be Team Benchmade but they haven’t done anything interesting in quite a while. Good blades, just more of the same every year.

I’ve been following the hubbub but...there’s no Benchmades I want now anyway. Although I did like that Pardue 530.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I don't go looking into a companies politics, but I do take notice when the company puts politics front and center.

"Don't ask, don't tell" should be taught in business school.
    I guarantee you there’s homes I would not have built if the owners knew where I stood. While there’s an appeal to a “F you if you don’t like it” attitude, even my social media is toned down.

Quote Originally Posted by UnoZero View Post
    even my social media is toned down.
    I definitely keep a "curated" social media presence. As an academic, you can guess which way about 90-95% of my colleagues lean. So, I keep a dedicated Twittbook presence that is basically all professional, all the time (Facebook less than Twitter).

But my Instagram uses a completely different email address, isn't connected to FB or Twitter and is completely independent. Such that I can let me freak flag fly.

When I talk to my students about social media, the rules are simple: Don't do multiple accounts, pick the media that you believe benefit you most professionally, and keep personal shit off of them - the KISS principle -

Social Media is often the 21st century's shining example of mixing business and pleasure. Keep It Separate, Stupid.

Site Supporter
    I really like my Benchmades, but the same is true about the Spydercos I have owned. I checked Facebook and this came up:
    https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/tot...693&cycle=2018

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

User Tag List