Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: More NDs from draws or reholstering?

  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    People slamming their pistol into the holster. What's the damned hurry?
    I see this all the time at matches, along with people fumbling guns into holsters w/o looking at what they're doing, and I have never understood the hurry, or the unwillingness to make use of a perfectly serviceable set of eyes.

  2. #12
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Dallas
    We only have data on reported and witnessed ND's. What we know about and what people tell us about when no one else is looking may not jive.

    Most that I'm aware of involve unholstering. We've had an officer here ND a suspect, outside of the square range there certainly is a human risk to it.

    The second most common place is during or after training, and you have officers with hot guns that are trying to demo or practice things that should be done with an unloaded pistol. People have been killed because this, particularly in FOF training.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

  3. #13
    Hobbyist JAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Kansas City

    More NDs from draws or reholstering?

    Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    officers with hot guns that are trying to demo or practice things that should not be done even with an unloaded pistol.
    Fify
    Last edited by JAD; 02-21-2019 at 11:52 AM.

  4. #14
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    CENTCOM
    Coming from a military side of things, the overwhelming majority of our ND's are in clearing barrels - specifically, clearing barrels that don't really need to be there like the ones outside Dining Facilities (DFACs) etc. If I were in charge, clearing barrels would be at ranges and arms rooms exclusively as the absolutely unnecessary admin loading and unloading of weapons just elevates risk, especially when the weapon would otherwise stay in a secure holster.

    Officers O4+/CW3+ with M9's tend to be the most common culprit (2/3 times I'd say) with PVT snuffy and the odd dipshit E6 with an M4 making up the other 1/3.

    The lesson learned there is to minimize admin loading/unloading of duty weapons. Especially with something like a handgun that can be safely left the hell alone in a proper duty holster.

  5. #15
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    South Louisiana
    ^^^^My experience as well. Folks get so used to it they don't think about what they're doing, and "drop magazine, retract slide/charging handle, pull trigger" becomes "retract slide/charging handle, drop magazine, pull trigger" with the predictable result.

  6. #16
    LE Forum Moderator BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Midwest
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    ^^^^My experience as well. Folks get so used to it they don't think about what they're doing, and "drop magazine, retract slide/charging handle, pull trigger" becomes "retract slide/charging handle, drop magazine, pull trigger" with the predictable result.
    That's roughly 1/3 of civilian unintended discharges. Reversed clearing steps followed by trigger pull to break pistol down.
    L'otters are not afraid.
    WWOMJD?

    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Maybe with talented students I would lube up with baby oil and then go at it.

  7. #17
    New Member Peally's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I see this all the time at matches, along with people fumbling guns into holsters w/o looking at what they're doing, and I have never understood the hurry, or the unwillingness to make use of a perfectly serviceable set of eyes.
    Guilty. At matches it's verified empty by two people and the trigger is pulled on the chamber, so while it's not good form it doesn't bother me the random times I holster that bitch without looking.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

  8. #18
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    East Greenwich, RI
    For LSP, my memory was substantially more from failing to drop the mag before cycling the slide with pistols. With shotguns, unloading by racking.

    And dicking with guns they knew were unloaded and didnít check.......

  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Guilty. At matches it's verified empty by two people and the trigger is pulled on the chamber, so while it's not good form it doesn't bother me the random times I holster that bitch without looking.
    It bothers me somewhat less when it's after unload & show clear. The times it really tweaks me out are when people go too fast on make ready, don't look, and end up pointing the muzzle of the gun right into their own hip joint and/or ass cheek, sometimes repeatedly, before it finds its way into the holster.

  10. #20
    While the Front Sight data has more people shooting themselves drawing than holstering, it is possible they would also have eventually shot themselves holstering but didnít get that far.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •