Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More NDs from draws or reholstering?

More NDs from draws or reholstering?

Which do you think causes more NDs?

When I last looked at the Front Sight data, my recollection was about 1/3 drawing, 1/3 holstering, and 1/3 from miscellaneous other causes. I don’t attach any specific value to their data, except that they put it on their website and it is available.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Which do you think causes more NDs?
    The ones I’ve seen have all been NOTA — in handling. Reloading twice, thumb cocking a revolver, drop and catch, rule three while at port arms.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    For "out in the world" those that result in injury, holstering.

Drawing, the only thing that can really go wrong is getting on the trigger too early. Even real early you may put one in the dirt but probably won't hurt yourself unless you are seated.

Holstering, there's more to go wrong. Foreign body in the holster (draw strings, a worn out retention strap, etc), finger still in the trigger guard, collapsed holster mouth, missing the holster then fumbling for the dropped gun, etc. Sometimes with the post-confrontation adrenaline shakes setting in, and the general shit holsters (or no holster) much of the gun-toting public carries. It's easier to holster one of those no-belt-needed sticky holsters by putting the gun in it then wedging it in your pants then it is to reholster into that collapsed nylon sausage sack post-confrontation.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    The ones I’ve seen have all been NOTA — in handling. Reloading twice, thumb cocking a revolver, drop and catch, rule three while at port arms.
    Admin handling is, by far, the precursor to unintended discharges significantly more often then holstering or drawing per my stats. Which, again, only include those were somebody was hurt or died.
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 02-20-2019 at 11:23 PM.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Since a recollection can be faulty, I just went and looked at the Front Sight data again.

https://www.frontsight.com/SafetyReports.asp

24 incidents, 12 drawing, 9 holstering, 3 miscellaneous.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Since a recollection can be faulty, I just went and looked at the Front Sight data again.

https://www.frontsight.com/SafetyReports.asp

24 incidents, 12 drawing, 9 holstering, 3 miscellaneous.
    It is disquieting how many experienced shooters had NDs.

I also can't help but notice 19 of the 23 NDs occurred more than halfway through a multi-day course. I'm thinking both students and instructors may be getting fatigued and letting their guards down...

Don't forget post-lunch food coma, as well as spooling back up after coming off of a break. Throw those in the pot with fatigue, stir to an even consistency, and you start spreading the failure jelly on your sandwich.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Things I notice most often

1. People with a shirt (typically a t-shirt) neither fully tucked into their trousers nor fully draped over the holster. In some cases I clearly see fabric draping into the holster's mouth. I used to say something politely until one day I got a nasty reply. Now I DGAF, and just move as far away as I can from someone with that issue. Occasionally I'll take the timer at an IDPA match and have seen some shooters (typically new to the sport) show up like that at my stage. They get an immediate correction.

2. People slamming their pistol into the holster. What's the damned hurry? Hurrying to re-holster, I would have to guess, would be close to the top of the list of reasons why people forget to take the finger off the trigger when reholstering. Admittedly, the finger should be out of the trigger guard the moment one stops firing, but even if you're a second late doing that a slow re-holster gives a pause to get one's shit together.

Combine #1 and #2, and I can see how so many shoot themselves or the ground when re-holstering.

Then there's ol' Tex Grebner on the other end of the spectrum

don't discount the fact that Tex was using a SERPA at the time. To me that thing still puts you way too deep into the "when" side of the if/when beam scale.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    don't discount the fact that Tex was using a SERPA at the time
    I don't. And I cannot fathom why someone who just carries a pistol concealed (or doesn't carry at all) would think it's a good idea to have a retention holster just to go to the range. Nor can I understand why someone who needs a retention holster would pick a SERPA when there's so many other, better, options.

User Tag List