Thread: Man's gun allegedly stolen from SFO baggage carousel: '

Site Supporter

Man's gun allegedly stolen from SFO baggage carousel: '

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/mans-...arousel-report

Man's gun allegedly stolen from SFO baggage carousel: '

A police trainer claims his gun was stolen from a baggage carousel at San Francisco International Airport and is blaming United Airlines for the dangerous mishap. The unidentified man has since described the situation as “a nightmare of anybody who owns a firearm.”

The man, who described himself only as "someone who trains police officers," is said to have a gun permit and alleges that he did "everything by the book" in terms of lawfully preparing his gun to be transported on a recent flight from McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas to the San Fran air hub.
    As the man’s flight was unexpectedly delayed, the firearm apparently made its way to SFO on another flight, without its owner. According to the outlet, the man reported that his gun was locked in a properly labeled container, as per Transportation Security Administration rules — though the situation got unexpectedly out of hand.

"It was put on a carousel for hours until somebody just stuck around, noticed it not being removed. So [a thief] just took it,” the gun owner told NBC of the apparent theft. “Literally just walked out with it.”
    Last edited by HCM; 02-20-2019 at 03:59 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

@OlongJohnson, i love both that vid, and the story behind the guy making it.

Tangential, but a buddy's luggage once dissappeared for several days... with a nighthawk GRP in it... Fortunately, the airline in question found it.

I've had the displeasure of picking up a reasonably well-known guest artist from the airport, driven them right to a radio interview, then opened their instrument case to give it to them to play live on the air... only to look down and see that it was broken in transit by the handlers. I could go a long time without that happening again, believe you me...
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

THis happened to me in 2011 from LAX to Monterey.

Bag disappears with checked handgun inside between connecting flights

Many calls to TSA and promises made to alert CA DOJ of the issue......after 10pm bag shows up via airport shuttle at my hotel. Gun was intact but the whole thing was more than sketchy.

It certainly doesn’t help now that the airlines now have a policy of putting special handling tags on luggage containing firearms that clearly identifies them as desirable targets.

IIRC this is in direct violation of Federal law which states such luggage is NOT to be specially marked.

In theory it gets them handled specially and you ahve to show ID/tag to pick the specially marked luggage at the baggage office. In practice most anything can happen and does.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    In theory it gets them handled specially and you ahve to show ID/tag to pick the specially marked luggage at the baggage office.
    Maybe in theory...
    I regularly fly all over with a couple handguns and my luggage has always been just tossed on the carousel along with all the other luggage.
    I usually travel with a J-frame and a Glock 26 that are both insured against loss and theft so if they get stolen it's just annoying instead of a big monetary loss.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I went to the airport once to pick up a buddy returning from a SF sniper school. I got there pretty early and waited by baggage claim. Having dropped him off a few weeks earlier, I knew he had enough gear to fill the back of my F150. Well, his stuff came out on the carousel before his plane even landed, and was just circulating on the carousel. I pulled them all off, and sat on the pile until his plane landed and he walked out to the baggage terminal. He sees me sitting on a huge pile of stuff, marked "Property of U.S. Government", "SNIPER KIT", etc. he was pretty shocked, and luckily he had hand carried the NV stuff and some of the most expensive glass, but the rifles were circulating in plain view for what would have been half an hour

I don't trust the baggage monkeys at all.
    When I travel with one of my high end Flir cameras (some are in the $120k+ range) I always carry them on in a Pelican case that's sized for the overhead. I also fly first class for business so I never have to gate check my carryon no matter how full the plane is.
    Not an option with guns, but i'm almost to the point i'd Fed-Ex something valuable to myself at my destination before i'd put it in my checked baggage.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List