Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Plus 1. Yes or no? Why or why not....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    Do you mean PITA because it's hard to load that last round?
    I have a Maglula, it's not hard to load the last round. IMO it's not worth dropping the magazine, loading another round (Maglula or no) and reinserting the magazine for a bullet that's not likely to make any difference at all.

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    I've heard that from many other owners-users of G26s and 12-round PMags.

Dunno. I'm probably just peculiar, but I recently ordered some more PMags just to see if it might have been a "bad batch" kind of thing.
    I've only ever had one issue with a MagPul Glock magazine. My wife fired my Glock19 at the range and got a weird stovepipe but I've never been able to replicate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    At one time, LE thought it prudent to download for increased reliability:https://dailycaller.com/2015/10/21/m...s-round-count/
    Sounds like much like a depends on the gun these days type of thing.

Remember, just prior to Glock, the major gun manufacturers were putting limiters (those little dimples at the bottom of the magazines), like the 15 round Sig and Beretta magazines. That forced you to “download by 2”, IE onlyallow 15 in what could have been a 17 round magazine.
    Last edited by Bucky; 02-22-2019 at 05:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    If you find yourself in a situation where you had to draw down on someone, and then you're accused of cranking off a round(s) at him, being topped off will work out in your favor.
    How's that?
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 02-22-2019 at 05:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    How's that?
    I believe the implication is that if you draw but don't fire, and the person you drew on accuses you of firing, it's very easy to prove you didn't fire by showing that your gun and magazines are all loaded to maximum capacity, whereas if you didn't load to +1, then it's possible you could have been +1 and then fired a shot.
    Last edited by olstyn; 02-22-2019 at 06:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I believe the implication is that if you draw but don't fire, and the person you drew on accuses you of firing, it's very easy to prove you didn't fire by showing that your gun and magazines are all loaded to maximum capacity, whereas if you didn't load to +1, then it's possible you could have been +1 and then fired a shot.
    That's a theory, but not very convincing.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    How's that?
    When everything adds up to N+1, there's less room to say things didn't add up on your side.

Standard practice here at an OIS is everyone at the scene at the time of the shooting gets their gun(s) counted down. If everything adds up to N+N+N+1 were good. We've had guys that weren't shooting come up short, congratulations buddy you just bought yourself some ring time in an OIS investigation. We can't reasonable say that all rounds were accounted for.

Lets say that you're accused of cranking a round off at someone. He said she said sort of thing. Police can't find any shell casings or bullet holes at the crime scene (or in some parts of town can't determine how long they've been there), no witness that heard anything, firearm appears to have not been recently fired and all rounds accounted for. When you and/or your lawyer are talking to the police, you're going to able to present a much neater package fits with what your saying vs what the other party is saying. I'm not saying that downloading rounds is going to be some pivotal event in a shooting investigation, but when we want to close out and throw a bullshit case in the trashcan, it's little loose ends that keep it sticking around.

Edited: The longest running case, that's like a case of the herpes, it just won't go away and flares up at inopportune times, involves a suicide 14 years ago. Drug addict called 911 said he was going to commit suicide, single gunshot is heard in 911 recording, first officer on scene forces entry into hotel, finds deceased in bathtub, and secures the revolver in his squad car. That revolver must have been like a lonely little puppy that needed a new home. When crime scene came through and took photos, that revolver was not in any crime scene photos. The family was very affluent and has spent who knows how many hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees trying to get the ME's ruling changed to an unexplained death. They're all hung up on the issue that there's no picture of the revolver in the crime scene photos. It's one little issue that's kept this around long past it's shelf life. In this case it's actual sloppy police work. It's much easier to get rid of or indefinitely suspend cases that are going nowhere when we can't be accused of sloppy police work.
    Last edited by txdpd; 02-22-2019 at 11:42 AM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

When everything adds up to N+1, there's less room to say things didn't add up on your side.

Standard practice here at an OIS is everyone at the scene at the time of the shooting gets their gun(s) counted down. If everything adds up to N+N+N+1 were good. We've had guys that weren't shooting come up short, congratulations buddy you just bought yourself some ring time in an OIS investigation. We can't reasonable say that all rounds were accounted for.

Lets say that you're accused of cranking a round off at someone. He said she said sort of thing. Police can't find any shell casings or bullet holes at the crime scene (or in some parts of town can't determine how long they've been there), no witness that heard anything, firearm appears to have not been recently fired and all rounds accounted for. When you and/or your lawyer are talking to the police, you're going to able to present a much neater package fits with what your saying vs what the other party is saying. I'm not saying that downloading rounds is going to be some pivotal event in a shooting investigation, but when we want to close out and throw a bullshit case in the trashcan, it's little loose ends that keep it sticking around.
    That's why this place is so valuable to a .civ like me.

I would have had no idea that this was a consideration. It makes perfect sense to me. Thanks.

firearm appears to have not been recently fired
    Top reason why at a minimum I run a Bore-Snake a few times through my pistol in between shooting and carrying... and I carry +1.
    Probably won't keep me from getting arrested but is one additional link in the chain of exculpatory evidence.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    The #1 pistol malfunction (aside from shooting the gun dry) in actual use (not so much on the Range) is an unseated magazine. Regardless of how or why a magazine release might be inadvertently pressed (a misapplied grip, an attempted gun-grab, hurried load/reload, etc) the downward pressure is exponential in a fully loaded magazine vs a downloaded one. Lessening that tension by downloading the magazine mitigates that problem.
    Demonstrably false theory that took me less that 30 seconds to figure out.

I held my Glock at an orientation where the magazine was near horizontal to make it as hard to eject as possible. I don't have an angle in my back pocket, but I'm guessing it was about 10* off horizontal....certainly nowhere near vertical.

I ejected the fully loaded 15 round mag on a closed slide. It fell out.

I downloaded by 1. It still sprung out of the magwell.

I downloaded to only 2 rounds in the magazine (so I downloaded by 13 rounds).

It still sprung out of the magwell.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    The #1 pistol malfunction (aside from shooting the gun dry) in actual use (not so much on the Range) is an unseated magazine. Regardless of how or why a magazine release might be inadvertently pressed (a misapplied grip, an attempted gun-grab, hurried load/reload, etc) the downward pressure is exponential in a fully loaded magazine vs a downloaded one. Lessening that tension by downloading the magazine mitigates that problem.

A secondary benefit of downloading is spring reliability. A spring that's never been fully compressed will never take a set (shorten) as much one that has been under full compression. Incidents of "last round in the magazine" failures were disproportionate with my officers who didn't download versus those that downloaded as a matter of routine. We all know that spring replacement should be a preventative maintenance issue, but in the real world that fact is fairly irrelevant if happens to you at the wrong time.
    I already explained how your second paragraph is wrong. Now I'm going to tackle the first one.

First of all, springs exert a force not a pressure. Second of all Hooke's Law (which governs spring force per change in unit of length) is a linear, not exponential, equation. The change in spring force from a partial to a full magazine is not exponential, no matter what it might seem to you.

The only reason I address this nonsense is that others don't take your "expertise" and either act on it or repeat it as if it were right.

Facts matter. Data matters. Verifiable information matters. Subject matter expertise matters.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 02-22-2019 at 12:39 PM.

User Tag List