Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Seriously considering dumping Glock for Beretta. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Totally dig your super condescending tone toward everyone lately. Please advise what leather manufacturer you’re referring to. I’ve checked Sparks, Kramer, Rosen specifically and others. Nobody “stocks” something for the 92A1 with its wider slide.
    Sorry about the tone, wasn't meant that way. I honestly don't think it's as difficult as it seems, but I've saved over the years a pretty long list of holster makers in my favorites.

I'd try these guys
    http://www.hbeleatherworks.com/
    http://lobogunleather.com/handguns-accommodated/
    https://rgrizzleleather.com/handgun-list.html
    http://ttgunleather.com/
    https://www.wrightleatherworks.com/
    http://www.winthropholsters.com/panc...band-holsters/
    https://www.privateerleather.com/

If you want kydex, these list the 92A1
    http://clevelandkydex.com/
    https://www.krounds.com/collections/...-kydex-holster

Personally, from the above list I've bought holsters from Lobo, Winthrop, and TT (Tim Thurner). Of those three TT holsters are the cat's ass and I highly recommend him. Winthrop is a Cleveland area outfit that machine molds his leather holsters so they're not super detailed but they are made from quality leather and they do fit the pistol they're made for like a glove.

My daily carry (P-01) rides in either a TT OWB/IWB Convertible setup as IWB or in a Winthrop pancake for OWB. During the work day (since I need to leave it in the car) it goes into a simple Clinger kydex clip IWB holster so I can toss it in the glove box and then clip it on before getting out to do errands or whatever.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 02-21-2019 at 06:57 PM.

I either buy an LTT or another 92A1. - This is the point of struggle now. I appreciate Ernest and the LTT gun, but I can pick up a 92A1 for $525, toss $150 worth of sights and small parts at it, and have a duplicate of my 92A1 for $675. A trigger job from Ernest is $165 whether I add it to an LTT or add it to my 92A1's. 1,000-675 = 325...that's an expensive beveled magwell.
    Personally, I think the LTT92 is more than the sum of the parts. It is easily the tightest 92 I've encountered. The exclusive sights have rapidly become a favorite. The beveled magwell is less significant to me than the radius around the magazine release area, which is exclusive to the LTT92. I sent my Brigadier Tactical back to Wilson Combat for a dehorn after a high round count class with Ernie and a discussion with him about how he dehorns his personal 92s. A base LTT92 might not have Ernie's ultimate Carry Bevel package, but it still addresses the most significant hot spot. So I'd add a dehorn and refinish to your calculation.

Plus the LTT92 is descended from cool guns like the Elite, Vertec (slide), and 92G-SD (frame), whereas the 92A1 has the 90-TWO in its family tree...blech.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

The holster thing is a big hangup for me. You can't just go buy a Beretta holster. Even if you can, there are crazy different nuances.

The problem is that the 92A1 has a wider slide than the standard 92. THAT'S why I was gonna cash everything in and go to 2 LTT's. Based on what I've read, if I get leather or custom kydex concealment holster made for the 92A1, the LTT won't fit and will be loose.
    You are correct about the problems with Beretta nuance and holster choices. However, I'm pretty sure it's not a slide issue, it's a rail/trigger guard issue.

I don't think a holster would know the difference between a M9/92FS and a 92A1 slide, but the rail makes a difference with those.

The big difference (holster-wise) between the 92A1 and the LTT is the trigger guard. The slides are nearly identical.

The 92A1 has the same trigger guard as the Wilson Brig-Tac, but the Brig-Tac has a wider slide than the 92A1.

Site Supporter
    I really, really enjoy my 92a1. I have 2 JMCK holsters for it: a George, which I use with no foam pad at about 3:30 as a mostly vertical IWB holster, and it’s beautiful for that BTW, and my other is an OWB#2.

I can see the appeal of a melted frame: I wore a hole in my hand on the tang on my first 300rd day with it. I took some time to think about it and then ... melted those beautiful, perfectly anodized stupid sharp edges with a very fine emery block.

I like my sights, didn’t hate the factory with the rear dots blacked out and the front one in orange, but had some Wilsons installed. Other than that, it has a 13# hammer spring, and Stoner G10 grips (not super thin - I have large hands).

I figure I’m going to shoot it as is till the trigger parts/springs need replacing, and then either have Wilson or Langdon refine my melt job, refinish the whole thing, and install the upgraded trigger parts. One day, I might get another one, but I don’t think I really need one.

I will probably get a G45 or G19x in May or June, as a present after I finish graduate school.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    You are correct about the problems with Beretta nuance and holster choices. However, I'm pretty sure it's not a slide issue, it's a rail/trigger guard issue.

I don't think a holster would know the difference between a M9/92FS and a 92A1 slide, but the rail makes a difference with those.

The big difference (holster-wise) between the 92A1 and the LTT is the trigger guard. The slides are nearly identical.

The 92A1 has the same trigger guard as the Wilson Brig-Tac, but the Brig-Tac has a wider slide than the 92A1.
    The 92A1 has some minor parts differences with the other 92s. If I recall correctly, you cannot put a 90-TWO/92A1 upper on a standard 92 frame. Besides the trigger guard and rail issues, the 92A1 frame has some small dimensional differences due to the internal buffer meant to tame the .40 S&W cartridge, which can also affect holster compatibility.

Then again, I can fit just about any Beretta in my Blade-tech OWB, so it is holster specific.

It must depend on the Bladetech. I bought this one and had to return it. Pistol wouldn’t go in:

HOLX000886827251 CLASSIC OWB HOLSTER - Beretta / 92/96 Brigadier / Right Hand
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

HOLX000861061892 - mine works with all three models I own (M9, LTT, Brigadier Tactical). Here it is with a few different models. Unfortunately I haven't tried a 92A1 with it.

Last edited by JSGlock34; 02-21-2019 at 09:16 PM.

My discovery of this thread is timely. Earlier today, I was thinking about how good my M&P feels in my hand. And how good the Beretta feels. And the Browning HP. And my custom Glock. And I decided that when it comes to my guns, I'm not a monogamist, I'm definitely a polygamist, and I'm ok with that. I'm not just ok, I'm happy with it!

I can lay out on paper what is good about each and every gun. If I had much that was bad, I wouldn't own the gun. I won't get into the specifics of all the women I think are beautiful, but you can use your imagine. There are most certainly similarities, a lot, but there are also differences. I couldn't line them all up and decide ONE was the best, to the exclusion of all the others. And while I know that is a sexist, objectifying analogy, it helps to focus the issue. For general purposes, I would be perfectly happy carrying any one of my favorites. It is only if you narrow things down to a narrow, specific purpose that I might be able to point at one and say it is better than all the others. For that purpose.

I would hate to be limited to just one gun. Certainly there are advantages to only having to buy holster, mags, sights, etc. for a single gun. But I can afford more than one, I enjoy more than one, I CAN enjoy more than one, so I do. So don't fall into the erroneous choice of trying to say because you like one, you have to give up the others. Enjoy the variety. Specialize only when you have to. Embrace your polygamy.
    Last edited by Dorsai; 02-21-2019 at 09:42 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    HOLX000861061892 - mine works with all three models I own (M9, LTT, Brigadier Tactical). Here it is with a few different models. Unfortunately I haven't tried a 92A1 with it.
    I’m not sure if I have the exact same Bladetech model, but I can pretty much guarantee you that a 92A1 won’t fit in that one, since there’s not enough room for the 92A1 light rail. If there was, the holster would be way loose on any M9/M9A1 frame gun that didn’t have a Brig slide.

If a holster has enough room for both the Brig slide and 92A1 rail, then typically the other 92-series models will fit, but rattle around loosely with minimal to no retention, IME.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    I would definitely keep at least one of the Glocks and most of the mags. You may become a lifetime Beretta shooter, but the list of people who have left Glocks and returned to Glocks is rather lengthy. It's good to keep one around just as a reference piece.
    This exactly! I have spent plenty of money trying to get away from glock, but at the same time never got rid of any of them. I always seem to go back to a glock for whatever reason.

I got back on a beretta kick and I too noticed gains right away. I think it was more due to slowing down and re-learning the DA/SA that I started on back in the 90's. I don't think I saw enough of a gain in my shooting skills to invest so much money on another platform in the long run. I would have been better off just feeding my glocks more ammo. But if it keeps you into practicing then go for it. I definitely wouldn't get rid of the A1 to purchase a LTT though. Drop a trigger job in a bag in it and call it a day.

Beretta as a company is pretty cool in my book. They literally moved a whole plant out of commie MD and moved it here to TN, so I have zero regret supporting a company like that. If they made a beretta 92 compact with a removable front sight I'd own two and it would be my daily carry. I've tried carrying my m9a3 and it is doable but a real chore with a lot of squatting lol. My px4cc is a sweet little shooter but I honestly don't dig the rotating barrel, especially one handed. That with a completely useless light rail nixed that for me for carry.

I think in a shtf scenario with everything firearm related. 30+ years of service with an m9 and the glocks with no soul are found world wide. Best to have both.

User Tag List