Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Invasion of Non-Criminal Households and Marginalized Populations

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    I think the classical western conception of God provably doesn't exist; and I think that privilege and complacency from putatively well intentioned persons do as much damage as out and out bias and hate ever will. if and when you get fired for being straight or a theist, I'll be interested to hear your take. In the meantime, I hear you. It's sure easy to talk about gifts and lack of bias when it never touches you.

What we do share is a belief in liberty and self-reliance. I'll add vigilance, awareness, the ability to avoid / de-escalate / /evade, and the ability to do something about it if none of those work.

There's is more presumption in your posts than I care for, personally. What do you know of the hardships or travails faced by other members or their families?

It's easy to champion those who are trumpeted in the media...as who doesn't like a cause celebre? But way before all the social media buzz there were all sorts of folks taking beatings, both physically and socially, whether they were Black, Irish, Jewish, Italian, Poles, Slavic, Gay, Gypsy (Roma), what have you. Let's not leave out Japanese citizens during WWII. Native Americans? Where do we start?

People have been subjugated, enslaved, murdered, tortured, denied rights, since the dawn of history. Everybody gets their chance at some point in time.

That's why many of us think "hate crimes" and designating certain groups as special cases with separate rules is a bad idea.

I'd like one set of rules for everyone...enforced judiciously...whether the violated suffered a pogrom, a lynching, being enslaved, raped, beaten or any other manner of violence for which no rational and civilized justification can be provided.

There's no need for special snowflakes if everyone is treated the same under the law. I think that's what those you think are fighting you are trying to say. At least that's what I'm trying to say.
    Last edited by blues; 02-19-2019 at 06:29 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Fine. I’ve been an advocate for such persons. I am such a person. It’s not about what is trumpeted in the media, and I’ll lay my record of actual advocacy as an attorney against whomever else’s. Use putatively objective terms like special snowflake if you want. Won’t change the reality that many here can walk away from problems or never face them; won’t change my taking exception the notion that mostly only crooks and criminals have to fear violence against them, in their homes or otherwise. I’ve said what I have to say and am under no illusions about the makeup of firearms boards members, even good ones like this one.

Treated the same under law works for me. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    ...The more I think about it, the more examples of home invasions where at least one of the residents was immediately attacked come to mind. The odds may be low, but I don't think they're nearly as low as you claim. Of course, I don't live in the U.S., so... Your chances may vary?
    Percentage-wise, in the United States most break ins take place when the residents are not home, because of the probability of said residents having the means to fight back.

But, as they say, it's not the odds it's the stakes. Home invasions do happen, whether random, targeted, or mis-targeted (T-Bone or Bubba lives at the same street number a street over, or moved some time ago, but no one got the word. Unfortunately, there have been a few police raids that made the same error.)
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Fine. I’ve been an advocate for such persons. I am such a person. It’s not about what is trumpeted in the media, and I’ll lay my record of actual advocacy as an attorney against whomever else’s. Use putatively objective terms like special snowflake if you want. Won’t change the reality that many here can walk away from problems or never face them; won’t change my taking exception the notion that mostly only crooks and criminals have to fear violence against them, in their homes or otherwise. I’ve said what I have to say and am under no illusions about the makeup of firearms boards members, even good ones like this one.

So are most of us. (And again, I think you are overly broad with your presumptions about what "most" here face or have faced. You obviously have no facts to support the position.)

My argument with you is that you are trying to take and occupy the high ground without acknowledging that you're not alone in so doing.

I've lost family in the holocaust.

I've had Sicilian and other European family members who were discriminated against for their looks, their language, their difference.

As a teen I've stood between the tip of a knife of a local hood and the chest of a black teen I didn't know whose only crime was being black.

As an LEO I treated all the same under the law...regardless of whether they were complainant or criminal.

One set of rules for everyone. Anything different not only doesn't work, it engenders and fosters resentment and the perpetuation of the perception of those treated specially as "the other".

Go in peace.
    Last edited by blues; 02-19-2019 at 06:53 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I think the classical western conception of God provably doesn't exist; and I think that privilege and complacency from putatively well intentioned persons do as much damage as out and out bias and hate ever will. if and when you get fired for being straight or a theist, I'll be interested to hear your take. In the meantime, I hear you. It's sure easy to talk about gifts and lack of bias when it never touches you.

What we do share is a belief in liberty and self-reliance. I'll add vigilance, awareness, the ability to avoid / de-escalate / /evade, and the ability to do something about it if none of those work.
    I knew I didn't like you. Now I know why.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    So are most of us. (And again, I think you are overly broad with your presumptions about what "most" here face or have faced. You obviously have no facts to support the position.)

My argument with you is that you are trying to take and occupy the high ground without acknowledging that you're not alone in so doing.

I've lost family in the holocaust.

I've had Sicilian and other European family members who were discriminated against for their looks, their language, their difference.

As a teen I've stood between the tip of a knife of a local hood and the chest of a black teen I didn't know whose only crime was being black.

As an LEO I treated all the same under the law...regardless of whether they were complainant or criminal.

One set of rules for everyone. Anything different not only doesn't work, it engenders and fosters resentment and the perpetuation of the perception of those treated specially as "the other".

Go in peace.
    Look, we aren’t treated equally under the law. Statistically, this affects some groups more than others. If i am guilty to you of trying to occupy an unearned high ground, you are guilty of an easy ‘but gee everybody faces challenges’ tautological complacency. I’ll keep working on my blind spots. I’d suggest we all have them, and that includes you, too.

I wish you peace as well and appreciate your law enforcement service.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    I knew I didn't like you. Now I know why.
    And I know why I do not like a sophistical, Jesuitical person as your posts have revealed you to be. From what I can tell I’m not the only one seeing that in you.
    Last edited by Medusa; 02-19-2019 at 07:09 PM.

make up of firearms boards members? Isn't the presumptuous and discriminatory in its own right? You lump everyone one into one group because of one thing, the belonging to a firearms forum. That is a pretty brash and irresponsible assumption from someone who supposedly knows how it feels to be lumped into a group and treated like a group member instead of an individual. I am married to a woman of color and we have gotten the side ways looks and even comments from people. The god mothers of my son are a lesbian couple who my wife and I would do anything for were there and blown away by it. What I am trying to say is that your assumption that all of us are somehow ignorant or not sympathetic is woefully in itself an assumption and ignorant. Any way you cut it, we were all born Americans. Compared to the past 100 yards and other parts of the world currently, all of us won the cosmic dice roll.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 02-19-2019 at 07:16 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    make up of firearms boards members? Isn't the presumptuous and discriminatory in its own right? You lump everyone one into one group because of one thing, the belonging to a firearms forum. That is a pretty brash and irresponsible assumption from someone who supposedly knows how it feels to be lumped into a group and treated like a group member instead of an individual. I am married to a woman of color and we have gotten the side ways looks and even comments from people. Any way you cut it, we were all born Americans. Compared to the past 100 yards and other parts of the world currently, all of us won the cosmic dice roll.
    Speaking generally, one finds certain views more generally instantiated and illustrated on gun boards than elsewhere. The NRA counts on this, for example, when they run YouTube ads conflating 2A support for Trump support. One finds more than one thread here, for example, on the MAGA hat guy who was drawn down on by some turd, or the Empire Actor who faked an attack on himself; one finds but few discussing police abuses or that sort of thing. Obviously it works in the other direction, too. Many of my friends take for granted that i should be afraid of firearms and pro every manner of gun control. I get it.

There are exceptions and I said I find this a good board - i've learned a lot here and hope to continue to do so. I certainly get the thing about you getting sideways looks. I've had clients who were evicted for being in interracial relationships.

It is better here than many places. It is not where it needs to be.
    Last edited by Medusa; 02-19-2019 at 07:19 PM.

Site Supporter
    So when someone tried to kil me with a handgun while shouting anti lgbt slurs, that’s Orwell or newspeak? No.

So when you get fired for being lgbtq, that’s Orwellian newspeak? When you’re told where you can pee or have domestic partner benefits taken away, that’s Orwellian newspeak? When you’re shot while lawfully carrying while black, that’s Orwellian newspeak ? When you’re murdered and dismembered and thrown in a dumpster, that’s newspeak? Sorry, no. Just, no.
    The fact someone tried to kill you being the key part of that.

Having had a few people try to kill me over the past two decades I really didnt care what their motivation was or what they were shouting.

Bad things happen to people all the time, the color of their skin or who they choose to love are irrelevant. Isn't the whole idea of America and the whole point of various right campaigns to become "just people" instead of (insert sub-group here) ?

You're enhancing the very thing you claim to oppose.

User Tag List