Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Invasion of Non-Criminal Households and Marginalized Populations

Home Invasion of Non-Criminal Households and Marginalized Populations

Serious question: How many people not involved in/with illicit or nefarious activities/associates stand more than a 1 in a 100-million chance of having their front door kicked-in in the middle of the night by a violent assailant who races immediately to the bedroom to wreak havoc upon them as they sleep?

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    Serious question: How many people not involved in/with illicit or nefarious activities/associates stand more than a 1 in a 100-million chance of having their front door kicked-in in the middle of the night by a violent assailant who races immediately to the bedroom to wreak havoc upon them as they sleep?
    I do take your point.

But: There also those who are members of marginalized populations who do, actually and in fact, get attacked for being such, at home or otherwise. Or there could be, say, a break in to an attached garage that wakes the homeowner, etc. The law in my state doesn’t require me to cower in my bedroom in my small house if I hear a noise elsewhere in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    There also those who are members of marginalized populations...
    I am probably not current with current newspeak, being of an age where behavior was described by descriptive terms instead of euphemisms.

What is a "marginalized population".

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray01 View Post
    I am probably not current with current newspeak, being of an age where behavior was described by descriptive terms instead of euphemisms.

What is a "marginalized population".
    Google doesn’t work for you, or?

Lgbtq people, minorities, women are all special targets for many kinds of marginalization as well as actual physical attacks. It’s not newspeak. It’s just speak you’re not used to.

Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    Once upon a time a person I knew asked me for advice. Seems a person they knew was either married to or dating a woman who's ex was getting out of prison soon. Said ex had taken the view that the woman, and her child, were the property of the ex, and when he was released from prison the new guy had better be gone.

I don't think there is a huge leap from that situation to a door getting kicked in.

(And no, I don't know how the story ended.)

There was the older gentleman who got targeted for his gun collection. Thieves forced their way in his home and immediately attacked him. (This story I do know the end of, as it made the local news. One thief shot, the others ran away.)

And then there was this farm house, the farmer got ahold of his shotgun after being pepper sprayed in his bed... That one made the news, too. I don't think he hit anyone, though.

The more I think about it, the more examples of home invasions where at least one of the residents was immediately attacked come to mind. The odds may be low, but I don't think they're nearly as low as you claim. Of course, I don't live in the U.S., so... Your chances may vary?

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Once upon a time a person I knew asked me for advice. Seems a person they knew was either married to or dating a woman who's ex was getting out of prison soon. Said ex had taken the view that the woman, and her child, were the property of the ex, and when he was released from prison the new guy had better be gone.

I don't think there is a huge leap from that situation to a door getting kicked in.

(And no, I don't know how the story ended.)

There was the older gentleman who got targeted for his gun collection. Thieves forced their way in his home and immediately attacked him. (This story I do know the end of, as it made the local news. One thief shot, the others ran away.)

And then there was this farm house, the farmer got ahold of his shotgun after being pepper sprayed in his bed... That one made the news, too. I don't think he hit anyone, though.

The more I think about it, the more examples of home invasions where at least one of the residents was immediately attacked come to mind. The odds may be low, but I don't think they're nearly as low as you claim. Of course, I don't live in the U.S., so... Your chances may vary?
    I do not associate with any current convicts or ex-cons, and I don't own any high-profile valuables such as a vast gun collection.

I'm no statistician, so who the heck knows what the true odds are. I still sleep well at night. To each his own, and let each man/woman drive on.

Site Supporter
    Google doesn’t work for you, or?

Lgbtq people, minorities, women are all special targets for many kinds of marginalization as well as actual physical attacks. It’s not newspeak. It’s just speak you’re not used to.
    It most certainly is "newspeak" in the Orwellian sense.

It also has conseqences. If you train someone to think of themselves as "marginalized" i.e. a "victim" they will act like victims and marginalize themselves. better to just avoid that and treat them like... regular people ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It most certainly is "newspeak" in the Orwellian sense.

It also has conseqences. If you train someone to think of themselves as "marginalized" i.e. a "victim" they will act like victims and marginalize themselves. better to just avoid that and treat them like... regular people ?
    So when someone tried to kil me with a handgun while shouting anti lgbt slurs, that’s Orwell or newspeak? No.

So when you get fired for being lgbtq, that’s Orwellian newspeak? When you’re told where you can pee or have domestic partner benefits taken away, that’s Orwellian newspeak? When you’re shot while lawfully carrying while black, that’s Orwellian newspeak ? When you’re murdered and dismembered and thrown in a dumpster, that’s newspeak? Sorry, no. Just, no.

So when someone tried to kil me with a handgun while shouting anti lgbt slurs, that’s Orwell or newspeak? No.

So when you get fired for being lgbtq, that’s Orwellian newspeak? When you’re told where you can pee or have domestic partner benefits taken away, that’s Orwellian newspeak? When you’re shot while lawfully carrying while black, that’s Orwellian newspeak ? When you’re murdered and dismembered and thrown in a dumpster, that’s newspeak? Sorry, no. Just, no.
    We will obviously differ.

I focus upon the action, and do not concern myself with whatever is between the actor's ears, or what comes out of the hole under their nose. I do not care if they "hate" me (as in the mind-numbingly stupid term "hate-crime), tolerate me, or really enjoy me, getting fired is the employer's decision (I have no "right" to a job), and I will defend myself if if I am violently attacked.

For future conversations, you have adequately described some of you perimeter.

Some of mine is liberty and self-reliance within the constraints that God has put in-place. I think that murderers should be rapidly, upon proof beyond reasonable doubt, put down. I think that intent, specifically, the intent to perpetrate the action, is the only intent that should be considered for the crime. I think that a job is a gift for which I should be thankful. I think everyone is welcome to their own thoughts and emotions, and that I do not need to honor or embrace them.

And I think that Eric Blair was prescient.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray01 View Post
    We will obviously differ.

I focus upon the action, and do not concern myself with whatever is between the actor's ears, or what comes out of the hole under their nose. I do not care if they "hate" me (as in the mind-numbingly stupid term "hate-crime), tolerate me, or really enjoy me, getting fired is the employer's decision (I have no "right" to a job), and I will defend myself if if I am violently attacked.

For future conversations, you have adequately described some of you perimeter.

Some of mine is liberty and self-reliance within the constraints that God has put in-place. I think that murderers should be rapidly, upon proof beyond reasonable doubt, put down. I think that intent, specifically, the intent to perpetrate the action, is the only intent that should be considered for the crime. I think that a job is a gift for which I should be thankful. I think everyone is welcome to their own thoughts and emotions, and that I do not need to honor or embrace them.

And I think that Eric Blair was prescient.
    I think the classical western conception of God provably doesn't exist; and I think that privilege and complacency from putatively well intentioned persons do as much damage as out and out bias and hate ever will. if and when you get fired for being straight or a theist, I'll be interested to hear your take. In the meantime, I hear you. It's sure easy to talk about gifts and lack of bias when it never touches you.

What we do share is a belief in liberty and self-reliance. I'll add vigilance, awareness, the ability to avoid / de-escalate / /evade, and the ability to do something about it if none of those work.

User Tag List