Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Knives for ladies

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    My wife does not have the same enthusiasm for carrying a knife, but recognizes that when I do something to try to keep her safe, it shows her that I love her.

I was a member of SDF when the Hideaway knife was developed, so I was able to watch that process. One thing that designer really thought through quite well was the carry system. In my opinion a carry system that the user finds workable for her mode of dress and daily environment is more important than the design of the knife itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I still have a HAK, it has proven surprisingly useful.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    I see the Delica has many blade choices. Serrated, combo, flat ground. Does it matter much ?

I like the Matriarch but lots of reviews say it’s not a good all around knife, but is instead good for one thing only. Given the Oregon statutory language concerning “ordinary pocket knife,” that’s a concern.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    I see the Delica has many blade choices. Serrated, combo, flat ground. Does it matter much ?

I like the Matriarch but lots of reviews say it’s not a good all around knife, but is instead good for one thing only. Given the Oregon statutory language concerning “ordinary pocket knife,” that’s a concern.
    A few different attempts to summarize knife laws simply break them down into whether fixed blades, folders, etc. are okay. At least 2 states prohibit knives designed or carried for fighting NY and OH). Just because a knife is a folder below a certain blade length does not mean it is okay to carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I'm pretty high on Spyderco serrated blades for the utility as far as my use has gone. But I've heard both pro and con from seemingly smarter people than I on defensive applications.

There are some pretty solid blade people hear and I'd love to hear about the real story on serrated blades. Sharpening is no problem with a Syderco set of ceramic rods.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

The potential problem with serrated blades (and combo) is that the serrations can get caught in what you are trying to cut, slowing you down and making a sloppy cut; in other words, serrations don't make for good slicing whether for work or self defense. On the other hand, serrations enable one to still be able to cut when the knife would otherwise be dull. Frankly, non serrated edges are better all around. As to whether it should be flat ground, saber ground or hollow ground, with a Delica it makes no difference.

The blade geometry of the Matriarch (or other "off looking" blades like the Spyderco P'kal, or the CP etc..) make for a knife that is not really good at one thing: slicing, but they're just fine on everything else. Actually, I think that the Matriarch is a much better box opener than your regular Delica, better also at cutting seat belts, IMO.

Some months back, I wrote a small post about the utility of the Ban Tang Clinch Pick in the "folders and anything sharp" thread in the Gallery subforum, so as to show how practical those "different from the norm" blade geometries can be. Maybe you'll find something interesting in it (It starts on this page: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-thread/page45 and the discussion continues a bit in the next page).

If you like the Delica, you might want to look at the Para Military 3, also from Spyderco. It's about the same size as the Delica but with the different locking mechanism which is both stronger and easier to deploy.

My everyday utility folder is the P'kal, it cuts everything I need to cut and with a longer blade than the Delica, it can also slice things ok (like cheese or tomatoes) in spite of its concave edge, has a very strong and smooth locking system and when it comes to self defense use, it's pretty formidable.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    If I were ordering an economical small fixed blade right now, it might be this one. $58.00

https://www.amazon.com/CRKT-SIWI-Fix...KT+fixed+blade

Edit: Dang, I just did order it.

Attachment 35315
    Exactly what I wanted. A short sharpened pry bar. That was cheapish

Attachment 35400

Attachment 35401
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

BTW not that sharp out of the box but shaving bald patches on my arm in less than 5 min with Spyderco Tri-angle kit

I find the smaller matriarch to be great for stuff like opening packages and envelopes—which is about as handyman as I get. Now, the original civilian... that really is only good for one thing. As to grinds and serrations, Wondering Besrd has it right, IMHO. Any delica grind should suffice. On serrations, Mike Janich—who clearly knows which way is up on all of this—says that he favors plain edges for defense, because the serrated edges catch on clothing and spin it and bind, eg: pants/jeans on a leg. He demos all this stuff in class, btw. "Pork Man" (pork roast wrapped around 1" dowel with layers of saran wrap and then denim on top) is legendary viewing.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

There’s also a Wharncliffe Delica. That’s my favorite blade shape. Not sure if it works in this knife though.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WGQQJF6
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I find the smaller matriarch to be great for stuff like opening packages and envelopes—which is about as handyman as I get. Now, the original civilian... that really is only good for one thing. As to grinds and serrations, Wondering Besrd has it right, IMHO. Any delica grind should suffice. On serrations, Mike Janich—who clearly knows which way is up on all of this—says that he favors plain edges for defense, because the serrated edges catch on clothing and spin it and bind, eg: pants/jeans on a leg. He demos all this stuff in class, btw. "Pork Man" (pork roast wrapped around 1" dowel with layers of saran wrap and then denim on top) is legendary viewing.
    Like Paul Harrell, but with knives ? I’ll check it out. Thanks all for the info and resources, and please keep it coming. I’ll keep using the search too.

User Tag List