Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Knives for ladies

The most success I've had getting my wife to carry a blade consistently has been with a fruit knife. It's small, thin, lightweight and she has the option of neck carry or pocket carry. We tried a few different types of cordage to find something that wasn't abrasive and put some molehair on the sheath. I think the key is making it small, light, and very convenient or it's gonna end up in the purse.

For people where the fixed blade is a no go, #1 and #2 Phillips screwdrivers shouldn't be overlooked. Cheap, small, strong, multiple options for grip and length. Long history of turning people room temperature.

One of my daughters carries a Spyderco Sage.

The other daughter carries an Emerson Mini Roadhouse.

"You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Some years ago when these (Spyderco Native) were less expensive I went through 3 of them - as soon as I got one, one woman or another I knew or worked with wanted it for being out jogging or some shit. I like it's blade size and shape a little more than the Delica although I can't point to a functional reason why.

https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Nati...pyderco+Native

Attachment 35314
    Last edited by JHC; 02-20-2019 at 01:19 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

If I were ordering an economical small fixed blade right now, it might be this one. $58.00

https://www.amazon.com/CRKT-SIWI-Fix...KT+fixed+blade

Edit: Dang, I just did order it.

Attachment 35315
    Last edited by JHC; 02-20-2019 at 01:02 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

My lady stole one of my Colonel Blades and carries it appendix.

Sometimes instead of that she will carry a "hideaway knife" with the bra clip attachment which essentially turns it into a neck knife without needing a chain for it. Not idea but works for her in some situations.

Rarely is will just carry a tactical pen and a mean "F off" face to go with it. Seems to work well for her.

For folks that prefer a compression lock, the Spyderco Para 3 Lightweight is coming out soon and it’s basically the same weight and similar cost as a Delica.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP2...paramilitary-3
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    For folks that prefer a compression lock, the Spyderco Para 3 Lightweight is coming out soon and it’s basically the same weight and similar cost as a Delica.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP2...paramilitary-3
    I dislike the back-lock mechanism on the Delica. That's what keeps me from buying or recommending it. The compression lock is excellent.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

My wife carries a Kershaw Scallion, same one she has carried everyday since 2008.

I've replaced, I dunno, four torsion springs, I think. I tune up the edge for her about once every 3 or 4 months. Usually while she's taking a bath, I clean, oil, and sharpen it (she loves when I do that, she once told a friend without any sarcasm that it was her favorite "romantic" thing that I do for her...).

She also carries an impact tool and pepper spray.

My good friend who runs a lot on the water front here in Chicago, carries a Utilihak (Hide-A-Way Knife), that I gave her. It's cord-wrapped up to fit her small(er) hands, and she carries it clipped to the waistband of her running shorts or if she's running with a water bottle, clipped to the cover the waterbottle. She likes it quite a bit and when I gave it to her we ran through several basic moves and drawstrokes.

Unfortunately, I haven't dealt with HAK since their very serious issues of delivering blades occurred. But one can order a Talon knife (https://www.amazon.com/Talon-Tactica.../dp/B00DQC7JBC) for less than a HAK and frankly, you're dealing with a highly similar tool (though you may need to dehorn the little hook on the bottom).

You guys know I'm not a big "finger hole" knife fan, but in the case of the Talon/HAK I make my lone exception. The way in which the knives loop over two fingers and are held in the hand, it would be almost impossible for someone to strip them off of your hand (without that person getting cut the fuck up, at least), and deglove you. It is possible, but not as possible as a single hole knife. They also punch extremely well in the hand and the shape of the blades makes concealment a breeze.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 02-20-2019 at 04:14 PM.

More observations from my life and all the wonderful, smart, funny, hardworking women that I've been blessed to share it with:

Women tend to light up at the sight and sound of knives and shut down when it's guns. They've all used knives for good things in their in their lives, food prep and consumption if nothing else. They've all (unfortunately) also had some macho asshole scare them with his gun handling and/or screw with them on the range, 'cause, you know, it's freakin hilarious to hurt or scare someone the first time they shoot a goddamn gun.

Knives by women for women are always received well, but not if they have to pay for them. They love the idea of HAK's and blanch when it comes to buying them. Which doesn't really matter that much to me as I've yet to convince a single woman to carry a fixed blade of any kind on a regular basis. Even my wife, who owns more than a couple of fixed blades, has never carried one for two days in a row; neck or garter sheath and for special occasions only.

Which leads to another reason I choose to give away Delicas: you won't go broke buying them and you can always find another use for one if they simply won't carry it. Don't give away large, expensive knives if it's gonna hurt your feelings to learn they're laying in a drawer. I've gifted exactly one woman a waved Emerson and I did so because she was my chosen sister and the kind of blue jeans and boots wearing bad ass that knew what an Emerson was, knew what they cost and was only too happy to carry and practice with it. We'd stand at opposite ends of the bar and do mirrored Kali/Escrima cuts, fast at first and slowing as we'd close in on each other, stopping just short of arm's reach. This was in Big Sky, MT, so an impromptu display like that earned her nothing but respect, hoots, hollers and gratuitous tips. Xuca's an RN in Utah now and tells me she always manages to have a scalpel on her for each and every shift.

If they're open to some basic instruction, repetitive X pattern figure eight cuts and fending with the off hand has gone over very well, IME. Putting on my armchair psycho hat, I think the enthusiasm I see for slashes over stabs is twofold: the first is the distance it happens at, they're less willing to close with their opponent. The second part goes to a woman's innate fear of receiving the slash vs being stabbed. They've all experienced internal pain, they're not as scared of that as they are of being maimed and scarred.

If/when they accept knives as potentially rape preventing, possibly life saving tools, the acceptance of firearms is well within reach. While I've not personally known a woman to carry a fixed blade, I can point to a few that do carry pistols (at least most of the time) and directly due to their time around me and my friends and their own willingness to start it all by carrying a knife.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    My wife carries a Kershaw Scallion, same one she has carried everyday since 2008.

I've replaced, I dunno, four torsion springs, I think. I tune up the edge for her about once every 3 or 4 months. Usually while she's taking a bath, I clean, oil, and sharpen it (she loves when I do that, she once told a friend without any sarcasm that it was her favorite "romantic" thing that I do for her...).

She also carries an impact tool and pepper spray.

My good friend who runs a lot on the water front here in Chicago, carries a Utilihak (Hide-A-Way Knife), that I gave her. It's cord-wrapped up to fit her small(er) hands, and she carries it clipped to the waistband of her running shorts or if she's running with a water bottle, clipped to the cover the waterbottle. She likes it quite a bit and when I gave it to her we ran through several basic moves and drawstrokes.

Unfortunately, I haven't dealt with HAK since their very serious issues of delivering blades occurred. But one can order a Talon knife (https://www.amazon.com/Talon-Tactica.../dp/B00DQC7JBC) for less than a HAK and frankly, you're dealing with a highly similar tool (though you may need to dehorn the little hook on the bottom).

You guys know I'm not a big "finger hole" knife fan, but in the case of the Talon/HAK I make my lone exception. The way in which the knives loop over two fingers and are held in the hand, it would be almost impossible for someone to strip them off of your hand (without that person getting cut the fuck up, at least), and deglove you. It is possible, but not as possible as a single hole knife. They also punch extremely well in the hand and the shape of the blades makes concealment a breeze.
    My wife does not have the same enthusiasm for carrying a knife, but recognizes that when I do something to try to keep her safe, it shows her that I love her.

I was a member of SDF when the Hideaway knife was developed, so I was able to watch that process. One thing that designer really thought through quite well was the carry system. In my opinion a carry system that the user finds workable for her mode of dress and daily environment is more important than the design of the knife itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List