Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knives for ladies

Site Supporter

Knives for ladies

In the pistols for ladies thread, a point was made that some ladies who, for whatever reason, will not carry a gun will sometimes carry a knife. So, if one was to recommend, or perhaps design, a knife for a lady, what characteristics would be desirable?

Some initial thoughts:

Legality of carry is preferred. Thus, while a fixed blade might be workable in some places, folders would generally be preferred.

The carry system is likely to be more important than the design of the knife itself. If the carry system does not work with a lady’s mode of dress, the knife will not be carried. Pocket clips are great until a pocket is not a part of the outfit. Access after the fight has started is critical.

The handle should fit the hand. Perhaps not much should stick out of the hand other than the blade to make disarming more difficult.

The blade shape should be helpful in emergencies beyond defense, such as working the blade into a tight space between something that must be cut and a person who should not be cut.

So, what does everyone think the desirable features would be? I am particularly interested in hearing from the ladies here, but do not wish to exclude other feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Thanks for posting this. I’m trying to find something for my wife, and maybe for me. I’ve been searching knife threads here and see the Spyderco Delica mentioned here and there kind of often. I’ve learned what the knife laws are here and in states we’d likely travel to. But I’m definitely interested to hear what folks have to offer.

Small fixed blade and some scenario training.
    I love blades and I love women (and dudes that dress up like women) but they are a questionable combo. I worry a lot about them being taken away and used on our ladies. Pepper spray or an LCP2 may be an easier discussion. Perhaps have them start by reading Gavin De Becker, The Gift of Fear. Convincing someone that doesn’t take threats seriously is a hell of a thing. I came from South Africa where everyone knew a bunch of people that had been attacked but I was still surrounded by people that believed it would never happyto them. At some point the preaching gets exhausting.

PS- getting a folder into action under duress is no small feat.
    Last edited by Oukaapie; 02-19-2019 at 11:14 PM.

My wife has the Delica 4 and she likes it. Some points that I note:

* It has a trainer.

* She isn't intimidated by, and likes to use, the "Spyderhole".

* The clip and pivot are secure enough that she feels comfortable wearing it IWB in most pants, leggings, or shorts she has.

* I also got the sheath from Bladerigs to allow IWB of an open Delica but it doesn't get much use. I still think it is a nice option and a way to show the advantage of a fixed blade.

* True to stereotype, it can be had in a "girly" color.

I have showed her my old CQC-7 to see if she favored the wave feature but she still liked the Spyderco.

It should also be noted that she has had exactly zero time training with edged besides what myself and friends have passed on to her and she has little interest to attend such a class. My suggestion for you is to perhaps get a Delica trainer and a Kershaw/Emerson trainer to see which style is preferred, then get the appropriate live blade and off-load the rejected trainer.
    Last edited by PNWTO; 02-19-2019 at 11:37 PM.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    My wife has a mid-size Kershaw (Leek maybe) in the rainbow pattern. She just liked it. It stays buried in her purse and would be entirely useless in a fight because it’d take half an hour to find it. She does use it for normal knife stuff.

When she runs though, she carries a Quartermaster ALF lashed to her arm and pepper spray. The pepper spray rides in some sort of neoprene arm holster so it doesn’t bounce around.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Quarte...itanium--21628

I have no reviews on this blade. She picked it, she likes it, so that’s a winner I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    Thanks for posting this. I’m trying to find something for my wife, and maybe for me. I’ve been searching knife threads here and see the Spyderco Delica mentioned here and there kind of often. I’ve learned what the knife laws are here and in states we’d likely travel to. But I’m definitely interested to hear what folks have to offer.
    You could do a lot worse than matching Delicas with the wharncliffe blade.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP1...ck-frn-handles

My lady and I each have one of these for travel; the "matriarch" was originally a down-sized/down-priced version of the legendary "Civilian," produced as a counter sexual-assault knife for a South African distributor. This Bento Box version is built on the delica frame. Hell, it’s even called the "Matriarch;" probably fits the bill as much as any folder.

ETA:

Quote Originally Posted by Oukaapie View Post
    Small fixed blade and some scenario training.

PS- getting a folder into action under duress is no small feat.
    I agree wholeheartedly with this^^^

I realize that the OP stated a folder as preferred, and I think PNWTO made a great case as to why the delica-based knife makes real sense. Obviously, I agree, and my shining a light on a couple of hopped-up delica options shows that.

But smart, short fixed blades in good carry rigs rule. I’ve totally drunk the Douglas clinch pick Kool-aid, and multiple FoF-filled weekends have done nothing to blunt my enthusiasm for the concept.

As a trivial aside, the very first Spyderco-sanction edged weapons class that I am aware of was developed at the tail end of the 80s and dawn of the 90s: the ‘clipit’ course, built around the delica, and taught by Eric Remmen of NW Safari. Serious old-school shit, and both my wife and I are graduates. She still has a bias towards the little spydercos to this day.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 02-20-2019 at 02:17 AM.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter

Knives for ladies

Thanks for he replies so far. Please keep them coming.

Re: fixed blade v. folder, there are enough places where fixed blades are ok so that they should be considered, but if I recall correctly, they are not ok in more than half of US states.

I am particularly interested in thoughts on desirable knife features and workable carry systems. What would you like to see (even if it is not yet made)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 02-20-2019 at 07:23 AM.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I agree that getting a knife that has an identical trainer is a best practice for folders. Emerson have them as does Spyderco and perhaps a few others. The Benchmade SOCP has a trainer as well. I prefer the single to the double edge. That double seems somewhat immune to being sharp and I’m a fan of pushing or pulling once the blade is in.

That Spyderco Matriarch is exquisite!

Quote Originally Posted by UnoZero View Post
    She picked it, she likes it, so that’s a winner I guess.
    I think this is what it comes down to. A knife..that she will use...is going to be as individual as a handgun or a pair of shoes.

My wife has had a little Kershaw Chive before, and carried it somewhat. The last one I bought for her was an Oso Sweet:
    https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Pocke...s%2C792&sr=8-1

...which is not a bad little folder and the pocket clip looks almost like some kind of cute jewelry. Nowadays, the likeliest place for a blade to reside is her purse, which is where her handgun is. The knives are there if she ever decides to grab one, but I'm not going to try to push the matter.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I think this is what it comes down to. A knife..that she will use...
    So much this. If she (or he, fwiw) has one present and will use it, then I'm already a fan of all the other parts of their answer.

My wife has a well above average survival instinct and a fighter's heart, both wildly exacerbated by motherhood. Caught flatfooted on strange ground, she'd find the closest improvised weapon to strike/stab with plans on choking any mf'er that makes it past her initial onslaught. I know armed men I can't say that about.

All this was already in her, all I did was accept her warrior heart and encourage her to explore it. And I'm me, so I had lots of time, experience, training, gear and connections I could share with her. If a lady (or guy) ain't interested in owning a training blade and taking ol' Beat 'Em Up Bob to task for sins both real and imagined, then I don't know how to convince them to want to...or why they're hanging out with me in the first place.

I ran bars and nightclubs for a couple of decades, so I have the somewhat unique perspective of working with a large and diverse number of women and in closer proximity, with greater familiarity and teamwork than most people will usually get to experience. From that time, there are dozens of women still carrying a flashlight in their purse, probably tens who also have a knife in there, too, maybe a few that still have it clipped in their pocket or waistband and couple-three that carry pistols more days than not. I've careened wildly through most of my life, but I've done my damndest to leave a vast array of armed women in my wake...no thanks necessary, it's more of a heads up, really.

Ok, this post has turned into more of a rambling Random Thoughts rant than I intended and I've got to jump off. I'll check in later and see if there's any more shovels I can fuck.

User Tag List