Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Knives for ladies

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    There’s also a Wharncliffe Delica. That’s my favorite blade shape. Not sure if it works in this knife though.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WGQQJF6
    Saw that one. And I see lots of similar (to my neophyte eyes) aus8 blades for cheaper, like the Ontario rat 1 and 2. It’s hard to choose. I understand it doesn’t need to be one knife to rule them all, and I’m not looking to go down a rabbit hole or money pit.

I couldn't find a Rat with a Wharncliffe blade shape (straight cutting edge), but I did find one with D2 tool steel, which I like quite a bit because of it's durability.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079KT7JCB..._0O1BCbYYNP98D

When they're not carrying our fancy knives, my daughters and I use the Kershaw/Emerson CQC-5K. It's the best cheap knife I've found, and has a nice Emerson Wave too.
    https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Black...dp/B00I0S1BFW/

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    Saw that one. And I see lots of similar (to my neophyte eyes) aus8 blades for cheaper, like the Ontario rat 1 and 2. It’s hard to choose. I understand it doesn’t need to be one knife to rule them all, and I’m not looking to go down a rabbit hole or money pit.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

If I were picking out Delicas for anyone (myself included).

Plain edge, saber/sabre grind, VG10 steel

Why? Plain edge can do everything a serrated edge can do, plus be easier to sharpen. Sabre grinds are among the easiest to sharpen, because they don't really have a "microbevel" at the edge. VG10 steel, because it's a good medium-duty steel that is easy to sharpen and resharpen and it's generally very tough and stain resistant.

Pick your favorite color handle. Call it a day.

In my opinion, a knife is only as useful as it is sharp. If you can't get easily resharpen the dull knife, it's basically worthless. Some knives have sufficiently complicated blade shapes and/or edge geometries to make resharpening a pain in the ass. This is one reason why I like wharncliffes, drop points, and flat tantos for utility knives, they all work very well in those senses. For defensive or "pretty" knives, curves (I got recurves for days...yo) are amazing, but they sure are a bitch to sharpen well.

ETA: Big fan of the Kershaw-Emerson models. The 5 that CF shows is a good one, I also really like the CQC-4K - https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-6054B...+Emerson+CQC-4 and the CQC-7K - https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Pocke...Emerson+CQC-7k
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 02-21-2019 at 10:14 PM.

Site Supporter
    It is hard to go wrong with a Delica. For a long time, the Waved Delica was my every day carry knife, and I still occasionally carry them. The Spyderco version of the wave is the most reliable I have seen, and the rocket bar lock is quite dependable.

My experience with Emerson was not good. I owned 3 of their folding knives. I managed to wear the liner locks on two of the three to the point that I could close the knives without pushing on the lock bar. In all fairness, Emerson repaired those knives for no more than the cost of shipping, but it was specifically my experience with Emerson that caused me to distrust liner locks. Also, if you get the Waved version, the wave is smaller and sharper. Not only was my Mini Commander unreliable, but I had holes in more than one pair of jeans after no more than 10 practice draws.

Cold Steel is also worth considering. They build a very good knife for what they cost, and they verify their claims with their “Proof” videos. If you like wave opening, the Storm Cloud is my current EDC knife. While not quite as reliable at waving open as Spyderco, it is more reliable than Emerson. If you don’t need or want a wave opening feature, the American Lawman is a solid choice. In a Delica size knife, the Khan is worth a look.

Give some serious thought to how you will carry the knife. A wave opening pocket clip knife is great until you don’t have a pocket. I have seen folders clipped in the “appendix” position of Yoga pants, which may or may not be comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Are a lot of folks still using sharpening stones?

I've been using this so many years I've lost touch with any other way.

https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tri-...gle+sharpmaker

With that kit I've easily sharpened straight or curved or serrated blades. Easily restored a shaving edge to a Cold Steel kukri.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post

I've been using this so many years I've lost touch with any other way.

https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tri-...gle+sharpmaker

With that kit I've easily sharpened straight or curved or serrated blades. Easily restored a shaving edge to a Cold Steel kukri.
    Another thing to learn.

Another big +1 for the Delica.

I've been EDC'ing a delica of some sort since around 1992. I currently favor the waved model, but if one were not inclined to use the wave feature, then the standard Delica works just as well for a little less money.

Definitely straight edge. The serrated edge _can_ be sharpened, but it's much more of a pain to do so, and the serrations do tend to snag, cause jagged cuts, and make the knife more of a saw than a knife.

The flat ground model is a slicer. If one planned to use it as, say, a camping chef knife, slicing vegetables, etc, then the flat ground edge geometry would work better in that role. For general use, the standard saber ground version would be the better choice.

For an intro knife for kids, or other use where there is a higher risk of loss, the Byrd Meadowlark is a respectable alternative to the Delica, at half the cost.
    Anti-astroturfing disclaimer: I am the owner of Bagman Tactical (custom tactical nylon).

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    While I very much like my wharncliffe Delica, it isn't much of a stabber compared to the original geometry IMO and thus tends to stay in the kitchen rather than be on me. A good knife for work and self defense certainly needs to slice and cut well but it also needs to fit in your hand well so that you can stab with it (even if it's just to penetrate a box in order to slice it open). Something to think about :-)
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    DMT Diamond Hones and a double-sided strop loaded with 6,000grit and 12,000 grit respectively.

I'm all about that mirror shine, hair popping, scary, stupid sharpness.

I honed out the edge on my P'Kal to the point where if I look at it wrong, it tries to cut me. I'm almost to that point with my Clinch (China) Picks, but I've found the edge geometry a little thick to get it super stupid sharp. I should email Ban and see if he will do some regrinds for me. Make them a little thinner.

Also, I'm totally on board with the Sharpmaker. Where some people find reloading ammunition relaxing, me? I like sharpening knives. Lately, I've been sitting on the couch watching basketball and stropping knives. My wife says I look like a fucking lunatic doing that...but she likes the results for how sharp her knives are (including the kitchen knives).

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    DMT Diamond Hones and a double-sided strop loaded with 6,000grit and 12,000 grit respectively.

I'm all about that mirror shine, hair popping, scary, stupid sharpness.

I honed out the edge on my P'Kal to the point where if I look at it wrong, it tries to cut me. I'm almost to that point with my Clinch (China) Picks, but I've found the edge geometry a little thick to get it super stupid sharp. I should email Ban and see if he will do some regrinds for me. Make them a little thinner.

Also, I'm totally on board with the Sharpmaker. Where some people find reloading ammunition relaxing, me? I like sharpening knives. Lately, I've been sitting on the couch watching basketball and stropping knives. My wife says I look like a fucking lunatic doing that...but she likes the results for how sharp her knives are (including the kitchen knives).

That is fookin' awesome!

You have mad skills. The longer I try and use a stone (from memory) the duller my knife gets. :O

As soon as I'm shaving hair off one of my limbs, I call it good. This sounds really sharp!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List