Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Knives for ladies

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I missed the last 2 blade shows. Gonna get there or bust this year!
    Never been, but I have friends, both vendors and visitors that go every year...excited to finally join them. We should definitely make time to grab a cerveza at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I missed the last 2 blade shows. Gonna get there or bust this year!
    Same here. I went to Blade in 2016, if I am remembering correctly, with my nephew, and that was after not having been since about 2007, when I brought my son with me.

One problem is that my wife volunteers at an event in Houston, which usually seems to be held the same weekend as Blade. I hope that I made it sufficiently clear, last year, that Blade was going to be my priority in 2019. I keep hoping that I can convince my wife that she likes knives more than “storm awareness” conferences. (She actually really does like knives.)

The Blade Shows I really liked were about 2004 and 2005, when Shivworks and the first version of Karambit.com were getting started.
    Last edited by Rex G; 02-27-2019 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Lock-Backs stay closed IWB etc. Liner, frame and compression locks and flippers might....
    Curious as to why compression locks are lumped in with liner and frame locks since compression locks sit under the stop pin so that force against the cutting edge doesn’t rely on the lock as with liner and frame locks. Additionally, if I squeeze my opened Delica hard enough the lock begins to disengage whereas part of the frame covers compression lock tabs making that very difficult to accomplish. Maybe I’m not as knowledgeable in this field but I just haven’t heard many instances of compression locks opening during hard use. I own knives with all of the common lock types so it’s something I’d like to know.

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    Curious as to why compression locks are lumped in with liner and frame locks since compression locks sit under the stop pin so that force against the cutting edge doesn’t rely on the lock as with liner and frame locks. Additionally, if I squeeze my opened Delica hard enough the lock begins to disengage whereas part of the frame covers compression lock tabs making that very difficult to accomplish. Maybe I’m not as knowledgeable in this field but I just haven’t heard many instances of compression locks opening during hard use. I own knives with all of the common lock types so it’s something I’d like to know.

Compression lock knives stay closed with a detent on the lock bar that falls into a well on the side of the tang.

I have some with moderate tension and some with minimal. MY concern is the blade not opening while IWB. A sharp bump can overcome the detent and then the blade is free. Lock backs even if blade is partially opened will spring back closed. I have had detent knives open upon falling and once bumping a door jam.

I read of a guy who compression locks partially release because of the way he held them and the fatness of his hand......Yes if I squeeze hard enough I can get a Delica lock to partially release...... Nothing beats a fixed blade for use.....

Knives for ladies

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Compression lock knives stay closed with a detent on the lock bar that falls into a well on the side of the tang.

I have some with moderate tension and some with minimal. MY concern is the blade not opening while IWB. A sharp bump can overcome the detent and then the blade is free. Lock backs even if blade is partially opened will spring back closed. I have had detent knives open upon falling and once bumping a door jam.

I read of a guy who compression locks partially release because of the way he held them and the fatness of his hand......Yes if I squeeze hard enough I can get a Delica lock to partially release...... Nothing beats a fixed blade for use.....
    Makes sense. Thanks

ETA: Totally skipped over the IWB part. I was thinking of the lock mechanism opening vs. the blade opening.
    Last edited by BobLoblaw; 02-27-2019 at 08:11 PM.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

User Tag List